Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011 Auris Hybrid Steering Wheel Clunk/Knock

wn94

Hi Guys

I apologise in advance if this has already been discussed but I have looked was unable to find anything similar to my issue...so here it goes. I found something similar here but can't make out whether its the same issue..

www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/148781-gen-1-auris-hybrid-steering-noise/?page=2

My 2011 Toyota Auris Hybrid T-Spirit has steering problems when turning at very low speeds, approximately below 15mph as far as I can tell. It also occurs whilst stationary. 

When the wheel is straight and I turn around approx. 30-40 degree to the right, it makes a clunk which is felt through the steering wheel. It also occurs when i turn right after i turn left.. I have attached a short clip to demonstrate the issue better as my wording might confuse people. The car is parked on a slight inclined driveway but the noise also occurs whilst the car is flat. 

VID-20171125-WA0003.mp4

I have had a feel on the column shaft under the steering wheel and I can roughly feel the vibration/knocking there (picture attached) 

I am really worried as to what it can be and whether its an expensive fix :sad:. I know Toyota Hybrids have been subjected to a recall a few years back but when I check online, it says no recalls are due on the vehicle.  

Any help is extremely appreciated!!!!

Thank you :)

steering wheel shaft underneath steering wheel, driver footwell.png

This link adds a little bit more info. for what is probably the same problem.  Notice the posts at the end are Auris Mk2 2013 ->

Then again the second generation Auris is a re-worked first generation, and even carried forward the first generation's Type Approval. So the steering is probably very similar.

Thank you so much for your replies guys! Really appreciate your time. 

Looks like a big dent in my Christmas balance then if its the shaft if I take it to Mr T. 

Whilst following up your link, I also discovered the following: 

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/93370-steering-knock/?tab=comments#comment-1019027

I understand that it is a Lexus CT but thought might be worth mentioning?

Member called Wass mentioned the following: 

"I checked the intermediate shaft as suggested by Adam  and the problem seems to be that the splined connection between the steering column and the intermediate shaft UJ has worked loose. The reason for this appears to be that during assembly they used something similar to a low tensile body bolt as a pinch bolt on the steering shaft assembly. The low tensile bolt has stretched slightly with use allowing the spline to float slightly. I simply replaced  the low tensile bolt with a high tensile bolt, torqued it up to 20ftpnds and the problem was solved. No more knocking and a solid, non floating connection next to the UJ. The intermediate shaft UJ joint and the steering column shaft show no wear whatsoever."

Now i am going to expose that I am an actual rookie and ask: the picture I attached in my initial post - that is the universal joint if I am correct? Any idea which bolt he is speaking off? Really hoping its something minor...as the shaft seems to be a main dealer part only and expensive.

Thanks for the help again guys! 

•  

I think this diagram might give a better idea.  (Sadly, I'm no expert on these).

The simple answer to your question is yes, maybe.  There is another similar joint further down the shaft, it could be that one.

Notice the pictures in 62 and 67, you'll see what I mean.

http://www.autocats.ws/manual/toyota/auris_corolla_zze-zr-nde-ade/rm04f0e/repair2/html/frame_rm0000029sz001x.html

This item for sale on eBay has some photos that might help you get an idea.  One of the joints is disappearing off the l/h side of the photo, unfortunately..

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2013-TOYOTA-AURIS-1-4-D4D-DIESEL-STEERING-COLUMN-ELECTRIC-JG412-000020/152465082258?hash=item237fa08792:g:Cu4AAOSwuxFYwCiF

HTH

Had the same problem on 1st generation, the toyota was replacing the shafts, but after another TSB, they were just greasing them. By that i mean loosen the screw, remove the shaft, put bunch of lithium grease, screw back on.  I have the same problem, but no place to fix it, so i just sprayed some oil in the joints, and put a bunch of lithium grease with a small brush. It took maybe 20km of city driving, but i dont remember last time i noticed it. The sound etc was same as yours.

BTW, from what i remember, they did not recall the cars as they claim it's not a safety concern, just the grease was dried up, and needed to be reapplied. 

What's the worst possible scenario if one was to leave it clunking? My 16 plate Auris displays these symptoms too. ***** poor of Toyota not getting a proper redesign of the part to stop this from happening.

On 26/11/2017 at 9:43 PM, wn94 said:

My 2011 Toyota Auris Hybrid T-Spirit has steering problems 

Please update your profile - currently showing a 2006 Corolla - to include the Auris.

14 hours ago, Gerg said:

So, this bolt here with red circle, if I am understanding correctly.

Thank you so much for your help Gerg. That document helped me a lot. I went to Toyota and got two new bolts, one for the Universal Joint at the top and one for the bottom. Toyota immediately advised me to replace the whole shaft... 

Replaced the bolt one near the steering column and greased it up, most of the knocking gone. Did not manage to get to the bottom one as it got pretty late today but the access is not great but will try as there is SLIGHT knocking on there too. 

9 hours ago, furtula said:

Had the same problem on 1st generation, the toyota was replacing the shafts, but after another TSB, they were just greasing them. By that i mean loosen the screw, remove the shaft, put bunch of lithium grease, screw back on.  I have the same problem, but no place to fix it, so i just sprayed some oil in the joints, and put a bunch of lithium grease with a small brush. It took maybe 20km of city driving, but i dont remember last time i noticed it. The sound etc was same as yours.

BTW, from what i remember, they did not recall the cars as they claim it's not a safety concern, just the grease was dried up, and needed to be reapplied. 

I did not remove the shaft, last thing I want to is make things worse!:laugh:  used some silicon grease instead...any idea how to get to the bottom joint by any chance please? 

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Please update your profile - currently showing a 2006 Corolla - to include the Auris.

Still have the Corolla in the family! Put the Auris in there now too. Hopefully I put it in the right way...

From what i know, bottom one is accessed from beneath the car.  You should be able to find it here http://www.autocats.ws/manual/toyota/auris_corolla_zze-zr-nde-ade/rm04f0e/index2.html

8 hours ago, 16_Auris_HSD said:

What's the worst possible scenario if one was to leave it clunking? My 16 plate Auris displays these symptoms too. ***** poor of Toyota not getting a proper redesign of the part to stop this from happening.

Toyota claims it's not a safety concern, just lack of grease, in the beginning they were replacing the shafts, but after they put out another TSB that just said to grease it and that's it. They sold lithium grease as a kit for it. I just sprayed some oil on the joints, and in the tiny slit where the teeth meet, 2-3 days of driving, and after that i applied some lithium grease with a brush in same places, where possible. This was for gen1 onwards, guess they were low on grease again..

Hi,

This picture is from our 2013 HSD. The view is the one from the front r/h wheel arch.  The lower universal joint is almost certainly under, or slightly above, the rubber bellows/boot on the left of the photo, marked with a red blob, but I think access is from above by removing the 'Silencer sheet' mentioned in section 60 of the removal instructions. 

HTH

P1130512.JPG

Thank you for the replies everyone. you guys have been an outstanding help and saved me from bankruptcy :laugh:

I have found the second joint, replaced the bolt, greased with some penetrating oil sprayed and then used some of that EP2 grease all over, put so much grease and oil on now the car smells of it...

finally, knocking gone, am at peace! Thank you so much everyone.

On 27/11/2017 at 9:29 AM, Gerg said:

That really helped Gerg. Gonna keep it for the future, just in case! Thanks! 

I hope that  grease was not spray can, those things in cans drie up after few weeks and cause even bigger problem.

Otherwise, good job.

I can confirm that this is the same issue as on the CT200. They charge about £600 to have it replaced. It's only covered for as long as your car is under warranty.

According to Toyota/Lexus there is no safety concern to continue driving and just leave it be.

• 6 months later...

I just been upside down in the footwell of my car. I could get onto the bolt with a 12mm spanner but couldn't exert enough pressure to turn the bolt, I at the wrong angle, will try again.   I presume both the top and the bottom bolt need changing. Is this correct.?????