Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Keyless Entry - Rise in car theft - Auris included?

JJ-D

Hi - sorry for the silly question and if this is obvious but just wanting clarification.

I keep reading about these car thefts that are becoming much more common in keyless entry cars whereby the signal can be picked up with a transmitter to open a car.

Is this relating to keys that open the car when near (and therefore constantly emitting a signal,) or keys like the Auris that you press a button to unlock? Or both?

Would it benefit to buy a Faraday bag to store keys in and/or steering wheel lock?

Thanks in advance

The current warnings are mainly as regards keyless entry systems, whereby the vehicle is opened when someone approaches with the key card or fob. However, those vehicles which have remote locking/unlocking (ie a key where one presses a button on the fob) can have the locking signals intercepted, blocked or copied by certain equipment, leaving the car unlocked.

If one has keyless entry, it is thought that keeping the card/fob in a metal box or in a fridge can limit the signal range and prevent the vehicle being left vulnerable.

See http://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/security/car-crime?utm_source=ToyotaOwnersClub&utm_medium=ForumLinks&AffinityID=MAFFILIATEWINDOW&awc=3938_1511789289_dbd968dc170f792aab30d5f72dc277b0&utm_source=Skimlinks&utm_medium=affiliates&dclid=CNuXx_zt3tcCFdWi7QodzLYEeA

West Midlands Police have recently sent the letter below to residents about preventing car theft - 

Car theft.jpg

Some common sense items here. I've seen some opportunist page on Facebook trying to sell "bags" which prevent the car being stolen by sheilding the key. Total waste of time really, but they're not accepting that.

Steering wheel lock is really the only way to go with these issues.

• Haha 1

I would suggest it's the proximity keys that they are stealing the codes of as the standard key for the Auris will only transmit a signal when you press the button (unless the top models have keyless proximity entry and they may be susceptible).

In most cases though these thieves are targeting high end high value cars such as Mercs and Range Rovers. If you are concerned about your car security then a full cover steering lock is a good deterrent. Sounds like we are going back to the 90's with vehicle security. It's a case of doing what you can to make the thieves move on to an easier target.  Visual deterrents can be good unless they then break into your house to get your keys.

I can't see your 2014 Auris or my 2015 Auris Tourer being an attractive target for these scumbags but as I say you can always fit a steering lock.

• Thanks 1

i would say that the normal press a button remote for your car will be more unsecure than the keyless entry

keyless entry only operates your car from a short distance but the downside is its always transmitting a signal

the key remotes work over such a long distance and the signal can be intercepted i feel easier.

2 minutes ago, Steve Whits said:

I would suggest it's the proximity keys that they are stealing the codes of as the standard key for the Auris will only transmit a signal when you press the button (unless the top models have keyless proximity entry and they may be susceptible).

As regards the remote locking keys, the signal can be intercepted when the key button is pressed.  What sometimes happens is that theives target a particular car, and when the owner returns from a journey and goes to lock the car using the remote, the signal is intercepted then.

Both issues are a big problem in some areas (eg Sutton Coldfield and Solihull - hence the interest of West Midlands Police). The following is a video released by West Midlands Police  showing 'relay theft' of a Mercedes - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-42132804/relay-crime-theft-caught-on-camera       Solihull has been a problem area for some years as regards car theft, espcially as regards the relatively high numbers of JLR products in and around the area.

Thanks all for the replies

I know the Auris is not a high end car but just wanted to understand about the different keys and if this was a problem

2 minutes ago, JJ-D said:

Thanks all for the replies

I know the Auris is not a high end car but just wanted to understand about the different keys and if this was a problem

It used to be the case that a lot of car thieves would steal cars just to joy ride but that has more or less died out due to technology and there are only a few instances of this happening now.  Whereas the professional car thieves are now some of the main culprits hence the rise in top end vehicle thefts either with the technology or whereby they are breaking into property to steal keys.

1 hour ago, eygo said:

i would say that the normal press a button remote for your car will be more unsecure than the keyless entry

keyless entry only operates your car from a short distance but the downside is its always transmitting a signal

the key remotes work over such a long distance and the signal can be intercepted i feel easier.

You obviously haven't seen the video released the other day  (& link posted above by Frosty) of thieves stealing a Mercedes at night by using a relay device to boost the signal from a keyless fob in a house to the car in the drive.

As has been mentioned earlier  this type of theft tends to be of higher value cars being specifically targeted so hopefully cars like my Avensis (I specifically wanted 1 with a key this time) & the OP's Auris aren't likely targets but the police have always said that if a truly professional (as opposed to opportunist) car thief wants your car they will find a way.

• Like 1

Earlier this year my sister's C1 was stolen from outside the house - probably a joyrider, but the car has never been found ....

Check the car theft statistics, i would say auris is way down the line. It's just not profitable, nor desirable enough to be sold quickly.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Earlier this year my sister's C1 was stolen from outside the house - probably a joyrider, but the car has never been found ....

Maybe they took it so they could race it at Spa?

1 hour ago, mickburkesnr said:

Maybe they took it so they could race it at Spa?

More than likely Spar - racing around the convenience store car park ......

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

More than likely Spar - racing around the convenience store car park ......

:laugh:  :laugh:   nice one!

6 hours ago, JJ-D said:

Would it benefit to buy a faraday bag to store keys in ..........

May not have to buy one - see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/27/australian-sacked-skipping-work-using-crisp-packet-hide-whereabouts/

Luckily Toyota thought about it (although I'm not sure they meant it to be used as theft protection rather than a Battery saver). You can put your key in low power mode which stops it from actively transmitting and receiving all the time which disables keyless entry and lowers energy consumption. To do it, after you've locked your car, press and hold the lock button on the kefob, at the same time press the unlock button twice, release the lock button. You should see the red LED flash 4 times (2 x times, short gap, 2 x times). It's described on page 132 of my handbook.

To enable it again, press any of the two keys - keyless will become active until you switch it off again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good subject posted by the OP. Should be in the general section since other Toyota models have keyless entry in a lot of their ranges. 
Toyota are way down the list of cars to be stolen, with the german, desireable and high end cars at the top of the lists. It is the opportunist type theft or theft of keys via burglary that is likely to happen.
Keyless entry system seems very vulnerable to these clever scanners/signal relays, that fools the car into thinking the owner is close by. 16_Auris_HSD has highlighted the low power mode for the latest key fobs, which probably reduces the chance of the car being stolen. 
My car is the standard remote locking, and it is needed to arm the alarm and double locking. I do have access to a Stoplock steering lock. 
The other thing the criminals use is a device to the OBD socket to start the car! 

Found this - Mercedes being stolen. 

Edited by Konrad C
Additional info

You can try installing the gear lever lock. I had it on my previous car, you just pop it into reverse, push on the lock until it drops in and locks. When you unlock it, it pops right out.  I only used it few times tho, when parking in shady neighborhoods.  Here's how it looks like, with only gen1 being the pop in/out one, the others i guess you just lock normally.

http://defendlock.com.ua/toyota/auris/

It might be useful to make a distinction here of more traditional keys that transmit a signal when a button is pushed, and the keyless entry systems whereby the card or fob is 'polled' from the vehicle.

Although I haven't researched this, I would imagine that to grab the code from the later would rely on a relatively powerful transmitter to see if any transponders are within range (such as being left in a coat pocket hung by a door). If the transponder responds then the card/fob can be polled and the access data retrieved. This can could then be programmed into a device emulating a transponder and brought near the vehicle. That's how I think this method of theft would work. 

So keeping the card/fob in a metal box, or simply putting distance between it and easy/obvious access points (such as hung behind the front door for someone to scan on spec of picking something up) should be sufficient.

The old traditional type key only transmits when the button is pressed. You would need someone fairly near and ready and waiting to intercept that with a suitable receiver. 

The traditional key also has a transponder (nothing to do with the above button and radio signal transmitted by that button) that is again 'polled' by the vehicle when the key is very very close to the steering column (or location of the key start). That is the code that unlocks the vehicle electronics and engine management) The transponder doesn't transmit on its own, it is powered by induction from a device around/near the key barrel. The range is absolutely minimal.

i know when my key is in range as the interior & exterior lights illuminate when i get within 2ft of the car

so for anyone to grab the signal from your key and transmit it would have to be so close to you ,at night

put your key on the bedside cabinet furthest from the window incase someone is by your bedroom window

trying to grab your signal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eygo said:

i know when my key is in range as the interior & exterior lights illuminate when i get within 2ft of the car

so for anyone to grab the signal from your key and transmit it would have to be so close to you ,at night

put your key on the bedside cabinet furthest from the window incase someone is by your bedroom window

trying to grab your signal.

I think that you will find that the signal extends more than that hence how it is possible for it be boosted/relayed.

if the signal extended more why does my car only detect the key within a 2ft range

the range is that close that i can reach the door handle attached is a video i have just taken

showing the range of the signal, you can see how close i am when the lights illuminate.

keyless range.3gp

dont forget scott the car in the video is a mercedes i cannot say how far the signal radiates from the mercedes key

but i can say lexus for certain & probably toyota have a very short range this helps to stop any breach of security.

The devices they have should be equipped with some kind of booster that can grab the signal even if it's weak.  I doubt the key was in the garage, so there was fair amount of distance involved, and some walls in between. 

Comparation wise, my neighbour's wifi router with that tiny antenna is 500m away, with my phone i can only catch the signal when i'm like 20m from it. But with a 20db  antena, and device with 200mw power output, i can catch the signal from my house, and use the internet without any issue, even thought on his side he has small power output and antenna.  

Luckily, Toyota cars are not luxurious enough for them to bother, so we can sleep sound.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, eygo said:

dont forget scott the car in the video is a mercedes i cannot say how far the signal radiates from the mercedes key

but i can say lexus for certain & probably toyota have a very short range this helps to stop any breach of security.

Until very recently I had a 2012 Avensis with the keyless system so I am well aware of the system & it's behaviour. I am therefore also well aware that mine ate batteries because the car & keys were usually kept within ~ 30ft of each other & apparently therefore in constant communication - I don't remember it having the low power setting for the fob (probably a later addition due to the experience of myself & others).

& as Dean says (& I mentioned earlier) the equipment used can take a weak signal that wouldn't normally operate the system & boost it until it can.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links