Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mrs Buying Her First Aygo

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Dear All

My other half drives a 2010 2.0 diesel Avensis. Its too bulky for me.

And now i’d like to buy my own vehicle...and i absolutely love the Aygo.

I am looking at a 2008 Aygo PLATINUM...petrol...5 owners...part service history...with 54000 on the clock...very clean...and has had a new gearbox fitted recently (apparently it got stuck in 1st gear and replaced under warranty)...and its a 3 door...cost £2000

What does everyone think?

Are there any common Aygo issues i should look for on the test drive???

Suppose the main issue can be water leaks in some as seals perish, etc - which are annoying but can be fairly easily fixed with either new seals or sealant. Vents behind the rear bumper, rear lights seals, rear brake light seal, and the foam behind the door card around the front door Speakers are common areas.

See the following topic as an example - 

Check the rear seat, the spare wheel well and the front carpets for damp/wetness.

The Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107 can also suffer in the same way.

Early Aygo's had smaller clutches, and could be prone to failure. The larger clutch (190mm instead of 180mm) from the Yaris was fitted to production models from 2009, and earlier Aygo's accept the larger clutch when being renewed.

• Like 1

Hello,

+1 with was said above. Known issues include:

- Clutch: premature wear
- Water leaks: it is important to check that the interior is not wet, especially the trunk
- Water pump leaks: I think it concerns early versions (mk1 ph1 around 2005-2006)
- Warning button: crackles when it grows old
- Seats: the foam collapses, if the previous owner was heavy, you will seat much lower
- Door locks: they may jam
- Exhaust pipe: can get rusty

Major concern is the clutch. In some cases, the clutch disc was replaced by the same as the original one, so it was bound to break down again. Also, also components in the clutch may fail.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, seriously, thank you very much indeed.

So to conclude, 

-I need to check the boot area for leaks, aswell as the rear seats and footwells. And maybe this potential buy might have had the new seals fitted fingers crossed.

-check the clutch...its had a new gearbox fitted a few months ago so i assume the clutch should be okay. And i assume they would have fitted the larger 190mm version as Frostyballs mentioned.

-I have noticed on many Aygos re.the hazard button crackling. Thats a weird occurence but easily replaced for £20 on eBay.

-rusty exhausts...this is mentioned on an old mot test in 2015 when i checked online. I assume its been repaired or replaced.

Gosh these Aygos have a fare share of issues hey. Im thinking, if does have a leak issue or dodgy clutch should i walk away? Because i really like this potential buy!

The leaks can usually be fairly easily fixed - most people use sealant. Not all Aygos leak.

The first generation Auris could/can leak via the rear bumper vents and the rear light clusters - rear vent seals were redesigned early in its life, and in later models it is largely due to the seals ageing. I had two Auris and neither leaked.

I'm guessing if it has had a new gearbox, then the clutch may have been replaced also? I'd enquire about that if you are able.

I'm a new Aygo owner. I've only had my 12 plate a couple of weeks, but I like the little thing and think we are going to get along just fine. 

Not strictly an Aygo user but my 107 is the same (which Frosty mentioned). Had mine brand new since 2010.

So far, really, the only big bug bear I have with them is the hazard light button cracking. Think mine cracked within a few months of buying it but it's never bothered me enough to replace it. It's fairly water tight although I suspect there is a leak now somewhere as sometimes the inside of the windscreen will be completely covered in condensation.

Mine had the thicker clutch but needed changing at 60,000 miles. Although I've had another Peugeot clutch fail at the same time so I put that down to the way the clutches are made now. That was changed 4 years ago now and it's been fine.

The Aygo is a much nicer car inside than the 107, so if I had my time again I'd have gone for the Aygo instead of the 107 but that said the car has cost me nothing. But I would imagine that, if the gearbox was changed under warranty by Toyota, the clutch would've been fixed as well. The early 107/C1/Aygo cars used to have clutches fail anywhere between 15,000 to 30,000 miles.

The manifold/catalytic converter can crack and will need to be replaced. I think I'm unlucky with mine as it's on it's 3rd catalytic converter now. But I know others who have never had to replace them.

They're a great fun car though, well worth the money for what they offer. For 7 years mine hasn't really cost anything to keep it going, compared to the same age Peugeot 3008 which is just a pure money pit! A future classic in the style of the Citroen 2CV and original Mini in my opinion. 

You guys have been fantastic in your input. Thank you.

Even with potential leaks i really like the car. Ive always loved the shape on the 05-08’s...or did they end on an 09. 

My 18yr old son is on his level three mechanics so being a small car im sure he’s competent to change a small clutch if the need arises.

I wonder if parts are cheap for the aygo’s...e.d cat converters...back boxes...general servicing...clutches...etc

I paid £45 for a back box, £45 for a front pipe. Servicing costs about £40 if you buy the servicing kit from Toyota.

An after-cat lambda sensor costs about £110.

The catalytic converter, I bought one from ECP for about £150 a few years ago. It was awful, horrid thing. Strangled the power out of the engine. I replaced it with a second hand one for about £70 and it's been fine since. A brand new catalytic converter costs about £300 I think.

Tyres cost about £50 a corner for mid-range good tyres. I've put Toyos on mine, but recently stuck some Yokohama's on the front as they were £50 at my local tyre place. Not so impressed with them to be honest.

A glove box lid costs about £20 and makes all the difference to the inside of the car. If you don't have one I seriously recommend getting one.

It's had an auxilary belt change which I did myself, cost about £12.

Costs about £45 to fill it up to the brim, you're good for between 350 to 550 miles. (550 miles is the most I ever got from the car driving like a nun on her pension with no windows or air con on going along the motorway at 50mph to Cornwall).

From what you describe i think you have a reasonable deal for there for £2000. 

Parts are pretty cheap (as car parts goes), even buying from Toyota. If you are really on a budget, you can find even cheaper non-OEM parts. Due to the popularity of the Aygo/C1/107 there are plenty of after market parts available. 

I'd also say, that while it may seem like there are plenty of things going wrong with the Aygo, it's most likely a result of the popularity. There are so many of them around (if you include the C1 and 107 as well) that we know most of the typical faults. This doesn't mean that an individual car has all these issues happening to them.

Finally, it's got the be said; That 1KR-FE engine is a real peach. It's got just the right character that you need for zipping around town. 

Thank you guys.

I just noticed, the Aygo im interested in, it doesnt have that extra unit...think its like a speedo or something...that stands just off behind the steering wheel...some Aygos have them.

Is it something i could add on maybe?

Ive just found out my potential buy has been sitting unused since March 2017...Ahhhhhh...is this something to worry about...we’re talking 8 months ago...they left it parked on their drive since they have a new Fiat 500.

I feel a bit stressed out now...help somebody please

1 hour ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

I just noticed, the Aygo im interested in, it doesnt have that extra unit...think its like a speedo or something...that stands just off behind the steering wheel...some Aygos have them.

Probably the rev counter which could be added to the instrument binnacle. Could search  eBay for a used one.

Ive just found out my potential buy has been sitting unused since March 2017...Ahhhhhh...is this something to worry about...we’re talking 8 months ago...they left it parked on their drive since they have a new Fiat 500.

Depends whether it has not moved at all or whether there has been some minimal use.

Suppose check for obvious issues such as rusted brake discs, condition of tyres (cracks in sidewalls due to ageing, flat spots if it hasn't moved at all, etc), Battery charge/ease of starting, as mentioned earlier check inside for signs of leaks, etc. How clean has it been kept - eg. any longstanding bird lime deposits could etch into the paintwork.

Cars on used car forecourts could be standing for months .....

It wouldn't bother me. As the previous poster mentioned just look for stuck brakes/handbrake. If your son is studying mechanics then he should be in a position to offer some practical advice in this respect. A long time ago I was given a car which had been stood for over twelve months. The front discs had seized but were easy to free off. I put a new Battery on it and it started first time and served me well for about five years thereafter. 

The only thing I would ask is why it has taken them so long to get round to selling it?

12 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

My 107 was stood for 2 years and after a clean and a service it was absolutely fine with no issues.

18 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Is it something i could add on maybe?

What is great about the Aygo is that it is simple :) I like its minimal interior design without the rev counter (which I did not have in mine either).

You do not need this instrument. With the poor sound insulation, you can distincly hear the engine sound and you can tell the revs by the sound. This is part of the charm of the car.

Guys n Girls...

Its been a terribly tiring day but i finally purchased her and brought her home today.

I love the 3 door look to her. She drove like a peach, very torqy indeed.

I look forward to tidying her up and making her unique.

I dont think this car has the water ingress issue, dry as the sahara desert..for now anyway.

My only niggles:

rear glass boot lid door makes a terrible sound whilst driving over bumpy roads. It vibrates alot sadly.

selecting gears, 3rd is a bit crunchy, and getting reverse takes a few attempts.

Just noticed a sqeeling sound when turning steerin wheel from side to side at roadside with engine off.

Finally, just odd scuffs and scratches that need polishing out.

I shall keep you all posted.

• Like 1

Hi Sam and well done, for the money and a bit of sorting, I think that you'll be OK. :smile:

Regarding the rear hatch....Check the "Stop rubbers" on the rear panel, behind the glass, as it shuts.  They are like little liqourice buttons and can come out but are an easy job to replace, or for £1.00, some sticky backed rubber discs can be bought from Wilkinsons or somewhere similar as a stopgap.  For squeaks and rattles on doors and windows, I recommend some of this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006UCNI38/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's great for refreshing all of your door rubbers/seals and you can spray it directly into the window channels to help your electric windows.

Selecting 3rd or reverse might be sorted with a service (Clutch adjustment or Gear Oil) and I hope it's nothing worse.

I don't quite get the squealing when you turn the wheel with the engine off...I don't know how you can turn the wheel so much with the engine off as the power steering won't be working but there has been problems with a noise when turning the wheel, on the move and that has been caused by the front disc brake heat plate...You should be able to see it behind the front wheels, it's like a bent tin cover, just push or pull it away from the wheel rim...Yes it's a simple job with your fingers and I'm sure that your Son (I think you said he was a Mechanic) will have that sorted in a minute or two.  There are threads on here about it under "Noise when turning right" or something...A quick search will help and one of the threads has pictures.

For all the rest, I suggest my old friend "Mr. Auto Glym" and his pal "Mr Elbow Grease":wink:....There again, as I've said many times, I absolutely love washing, waxing and polishing my car.  I know many Folk think it's a chore but for me it's a few hours of pleasure....I really must get a life!:laugh:

I hope you have loads of fun with your new Aygo and you do realise that we need pictures of your new Baby, don't you?

All the best, Sam....Have fun!:smile:

7 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

rear glass boot lid door makes a terrible sound whilst driving over bumpy roads. It vibrates alot sadly.

selecting gears, 3rd is a bit crunchy, and getting reverse takes a few attempts.

Check the adjustment of the rear hatch.  And check whether it's the parcel shelf which rattles (we had this on an Auris).

To select reverse gear easier - while stopped, select a forward gear first (like 2nd or 4th), then choose reverse.

Morning All

Alan333...cheers...its definitely the glass because i removed the spare wheel and jack and parcel shelf to test it.

Re.the gears i agree, selecting other gears before selecting the one i need does help. Is this just how these gear boxes are..i.e is this normal?

Agent Orange...thank you once again.

The steering noise has dissapeard, that was a strange one, only happened when i got home, definitely came from the steering wheel inside the car, like a big squeaky centre nut behind the wheel that needs oiling. My descriptions are lame i know.

Anyway, loving the car absolutely, and apologies for my moans, i cant wait to get her clean and iron out my niggles.

Noticed 2 issues on the school run today if you could help me out with them...

1; how do i adjust my side mirrors, sadly it came with no handbook which i intend to buy on eBay, ive tried playing with the thingy on the inside by pushing n pulling it but no movement at the mirrors so i used my fingers on the glass to adjust.

2; this is really weird, have my mp3 player connected to the aux, and i get like an electric whining sound through the Speakers i think that increases and decreases with my speed, my kids found it so funny, makes it sound like a remote control car, funny but annoying, i dont get it with the radio on.

I look forward to your comments when you have a moment, cheers.

Re.the gears i agree, selecting other gears before selecting the one i need does help. Is this just how these gear boxes are..i.e is this normal?

Often reverse isn't a synchromesh gear, so it needs the gearbox 'stopped' before it goes in easily.  Selecting another syncromesh gear stops the gearbox.

• Like 1

As regards the owners manual, if you visit https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eManual and do a generic search, one can download an owners manual for a January 2012 Aygo, which should cover a lot of things for yours.

Aww, it only works for current models! I was hoping do download an electronic version of the manual for the one I'm looking to buy!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links