Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mrs Buying Her First Aygo

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

10 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

how can i tell if the clutch is naff? It was last replaced at 35k approx and it now reads 54k.

Another Q.please...how can one tell when the Aygo is up to temp? Its so weird having no guages or display to look at which reassures you all is in order.

- Some parts of the clutch (release fork, stop...) may fail without prior warning signs. As regards the disc itself, you can easily feel it when it is worn. The feeling is different, you almost stall everytime you start, revs increase while speed does not... If you are not sure, have your car test driven by a Toyota mechanic who is used to driving Aygos. Do not worry about your clutch too much or you will go obsessed with it. I had the very first Aygo, the one with the thin clutch disc, and kept it for 7 years without a problem.

- As for the temp, you can feel it too when you know your car. When the engine is cold, the sound is not the same, performances are not the same, commands respond differently... In cold weather, I can even hear the oil clicking when I accelerate, I change gear at lower revs. My experience with other brands is that oil and coolant gauges are rather useless.

On 12/4/2017 at 11:17 AM, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

2; this is really weird, have my mp3 player connected to the aux, and i get like an electric whining sound through the speakers i think that increases and decreases with my speed, my kids found it so funny, makes it sound like a remote control car, funny but annoying, i dont get it with the radio on.

This sounds like interference from the ignition is being picked up by the MP3 Player lead.  A professional radio fitter should be able to sort it out.

17 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Is it me or are gear changes even worse in this weather??? Wow...1st and reverse are nearly impossible without alot of faffing about...and a few hoots here and there as i struggle. Am i doing something wrong OR is my clutch done with?

Try releasing the clutch, wiggling the stick in neutral side to side, then reapply the clutch and select the gear. Works on mine since I bought it 7 years ago. 

I often think the gear selectors could do with replacing, as they seem woolly and a bit loose. But I've never bothered to investigate it.

Hi All,

Quick update...had the sills fixed today...woo hoo...looking much better from a far side view.

Also ordered my HI-Tec rubber mats off eBay yesterday...and my service parts via my Toyota dealer today...worked out 15.00 cheaper via them than a few local spare shops offering BluePrint parts...added bonus Toyota also gave us a free 5L engine oil as trade. I also ordered my glovebox lid too.

Next i’d like to upgrade my headlight bulbs. Eurocarparts have some amazing offers. I am thinking Osram nightbreaker Unlimited OR their blue version OR nightbreaker LASER but i hear these have a short life span. 

Can anybody recommend a good bulb please? I like that super bright white look personally.

Interesting reading Frostyballs, ive decided on the Osram nightbreaker unlimited, reviews seem pretty good, and last much longer than the new Laser version which are the ones i really wanted to get

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys n Girls,

Thought i’d post a quick update on my progress so far.

Ok, so, myself and my son successfully changed the front brake disc and pads, all Pagid, amazing quality indeed, we normally use Blue Print, all in 59.00 not bad. I even had time to paint my callipers silvers, so it all looks nice and new, im happy.

We then took off the rear hubs to have a look at the brake shoes, still plenty of life on the shoes, gave it all a good clean with some brake cleaner.

The test drive after seemed perfectly fine.

I placed my rubber Hi Tec mats, i can see why you guys recommend them over genuine Toyota brands, really good quality, a steal at 20.00. I also swapped over the cracked hazad switch, purchased a new part from Toyota.

So tomorrow we hope to complete a full service, oil, air filter, pollen filter, sparks.

Ordered a new gear knob, our old has had its days.

My next plan is some wind deflectors and maybe tint my rear windows for some privacy.

And fit a glove box lid which intended to do today but noticed Toyota ordered me a LHD lid instead of a RHD so that needs to go back.

And thats about it for now.

Oh yes, one more thing...im upgrading my headlight bulbs to Osram nightbreaker plus at some point this week.

As you can see...its all happy holidays my ends lol.

Sammy

Hi Sam,

I'm glad that you're getting to grips with your Aygo and those discs and pads sound interesting, I'm going to have to investigate "Pagid" as I might need some new ones myself, this year.

If you are getting a refund on your glove box lid, how does this compare on price?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-Glove-Box-Lid-Cover-2005-2011-Aygo-Citroen-C1-Peugeot-107/182970009626?fits=Car+Make%3AToyota|Model%3AAygo&hash=item2a99dcc81a:g:1J4AAOSwpONZQpAo

I have one and I've just fitted another to the Peugeot 107 that my Niece drives....Maybe a bit cheaper than from Toyota and it's a grey one which will match your model/year.

If you want some privacy but not the expense of professional tints (I would guess about £120-£150) how about a set of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Aygo-3dr-05-14-UV-CAR-SHADES-WINDOW-SUN-BLINDS-PRIVACY-GLASS-TINT-BLACK/171377682014?hash=item27e6e7e65e:g:Zj4AAOSwSblZrRcQ

The wind deflectors that I have fitted, also came from eBay and they are the "Heko" ones:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-AYGO-MK1-3-doors-2005-2014-2-pc-Wind-Deflectors-HEKO-Tinted/152694516961?fits=Car+Make%3AToyota|Model%3AAygo&epid=1048751760&hash=item238d4d6ce1:g:SN8AAOSwv0tVTPjl

Another extra that I can personally recommend is the armrest sold by "Mick's Garage" on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tailor-Made-Armster-Standard-Armrest-to-Fit-Toyota-Aygo-2005-to-2014/192034360456?fits=Car+Make%3AToyota|Model%3AAygo&epid=1875611840&hash=item2cb623cc88:g:tn8AAOSwYipaBOH5

A bit more expensive but a really nice bit of kit...Whatever you do, DON'T buy one of the cheap armrests off eBay, they don't fit and they are nasty, the one in the link looks like original equipment when you have fitted it....And it's a 5 minute job!

I can't help you with the Osrams but would like to know what you think of them.....You really are going great guns with your new Aygo and I bet it's going to be a little belter for you!

All the best!:smile:

Dear Agent Orange,

Its always good to read your postings and much appreciated too.

I would definitely recommend Pagid over Blue Print...however its still early days. The quality of them are superb though, a solid bit of engineering in my opinion.

I purchased my glove box lid at my T.dealers, at around 22.00 including VAT, thats with our trade and loyalty discounts lol, but i did check eBay first, i always do, but i couldnt find cheaper.

Re.your sunshade idea, wow, i didnt know they even existed, damn, now thats something else i’ll have to save up towards, AND the arm rest too, which appears pretty specific in design, im impressed, they’re on my list, and i cant wait, except for the sunshades which are pretty expensive, i’d love to have privacy mainly from the rear glass, not too bothered about the side windows, more like aeroplane windows lol.

My deflectors btw, are off eBay, and are Heko, yet to fit them but they look nice.

Finally Agent Orange, i installed my Osrams this afternoon...damn is it cold...and damn was it a pain in the rear to change, minimal space to work and working in the blind since you cant see where everything goes, took me 2hrs, i know! And while i was there ive upgraded the orange indicator bulbs to the phillips chrome version, nice touch, and then led side light bulbs to finish...going all out i know.

Ill keep you posted matey.

• Like 1

Sounds like you are having fun Sam!

I got some window blinds/sunshades about 3 years ago for my 5 door.
Thought about getting the windows tinted but after a wee play with insurance quotes I decided not to. 

Got them for the wifes car first (Nissan Note) and the blinds for the rear doors were kept in place with 'clips' that fitted behind the window rubbers and held the blind solid.
The hatch window blind was one peace and fitted with out any clips (though they were supplied)
The rear blind didn't last long as it made reversing dificult as it blocked out to much light esp at night.

However, for the aygo the blinds that I got were kept in place with stick on 'clips'
I guess this is due to the side window rubbers being fitted very tight to the metal work.
I don't think the 3 door models would be any different to the 5 doors but could be wrong!

You do have to be very careful with the placing of the stick on clips.
Once in place I had lots of bother with them becoming unstuck after a few days.
Had to resort to super glue!

For the rear, my blind came in two half's so is a bit unsightly to look at.
The fitting at first appeared reasonably straight forward with the clips stuck on the the hatch glass however the blind ( one half or sometimes both) kept falling out when the hatch was opened.
Eventually figured out why, when the hatch was closed the rubber seal at the top of the hatch opening was pressing on the clip bending it which pushed the blind down and out of the clip so when the hatch was opened nothing was holding it.
Quite a nussence and combined with the lack of visabllity when reversing i stopped using the rear blinds.
If I was fitting them again I would stick the top clips from the inside then fitting the lower clips from the outside

Another thing I noticed that the side windows steamed up which i guess is the due to the blind stopping the airflow to the window.

The Heko wind deflectors are a doddle to fit, think they were amongst the first mods I did to my aygo 6 1/2 years ago.
Seem to remember that the door key was the perfect size to push the holding clips in place.

I've often toyed with getting an armrest however fitting it would remove the only cup holder for the rear seats.
A deal breaker if you have kids! 
As Agent Orange mentioned the Armster armrest is the one to get, lots of good reviews for it.

If you dont have already have them fitted Mudflaps are something else that are quite usefull.
Easy to fit on the front but for the rears you need to take the wheels off.

• Like 1

Some great points there, from David ( @Micra2Aygo ) and I can see (From somebody that has actually used the window blinds) that they could be a bit of a faff.  If you are feeling brave, Sam you can tint the windows yourself with a soapy water spray, a squeegie and some time and care.  I have wrapped the B pillars on my 3 door Aygo (rear body and door frames) in gloss black wrap to make the rear privacy glass merge into the front side windows...It gives the effect of one long "Tear Drop" of glass down the side (Similar to how the 5 door looks) rather than glass-paint-paint-glass, if you get my drift.  It also makes the rear side windows look bigger, rather than the "Aeroplane windows", which you described rather well. :laugh:

Wrapping stuff isn't that difficult....If you take your time!!!....And can give a great result, especially on windows and kits can be bought from ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pre-Cut-Window-Tint-TOYOTA-AYGO-MK1-05-14-3DR-Limo-Black-4/173023055088?hash=item2848fa4cf0:g:m-YAAOSw4A5Yn9m3

That company also do the kit in various tints (light, medium and dark) to go with your needs.  I would recommend a proper squeegie like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-1pcs-Auto-Car-Squeegee-Decal-Wrap-Applicator-Soft-Felt-Edge-Scrape/142170072806?epid=2225346225&hash=item2119ff26e6:g:4c0AAOSwB09YHChz

As it makes the job much easier....That one comes from China and so would take about 3 weeks to arrive but there are plenty of others about. 

Make sure that your glass is super clean and (as I keep saying) take your time.

As David rightly says, the Heko wind deflectors are a doddle to fit and a set of mudflaps are also a great buy (Good shout, Sir! :smile:) ....I fitted the original plastic Toyota flaps on the front and some universal rubber ones on the back as they are a bit longer than the ones Toyota sell and so keep the rear window a bit cleaner.....Not much, I grant you, but a bit!

Have fun, Sam!:wink:

P.S. there are loads of "How-to" videos about wrapping and window tinting on You Tube that might interest you if you decide to do it yourself...Good Luck! :smile:

fyi I had my Avensis Tourer tinted in October by a local company from the B-pillars back for £130. Substantially more work & material than would be needed for a 3 dr Aygo so with a bit of luck you might be able to get that done professionally  for under £100.

You guys are amazing...thank you.

Micra2Aygo...ive decided against the blinds...in all honesty due to the cost of them at first but mainly how obtrusive they can be with the limited sight looking out of the rear window...and then your comments just helped me back my decision. So thank you.

Agent Orange, i didnt think pre cut kits existed. Thats an option, but i definitely want to keep within the legal limits. In terms of cost ive had a local quote from an expert at 45.00...not bad...or should i risk a diy at half their cost...hmm.

I’ve installed Heko’s on all my vehicles, they’re a doddle to fit but with due care though. Just waiting for a sunny day to fit them! Could be waiting awhile hey.

Agent Orange, i really like your B pillar mod...do you have a wee pic if i may ask? Im trying to visualise it but i cant seem to process how it would work out on my 3 door without looking odd.

Thanks guys.

5 minutes ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Agent Orange, i didnt think pre cut kits existed. Thats an option, but i definitely want to keep within the legal limits.

That kit is legal imo. Afaik it's only the windscreen & front windows that have restrictions on light transmission.

4% might make reversing a bit of an issue though if you don't have other aids. I went with 15% (& I have sensors & rear camera).

Happy to help Sam,

The blinds do work for blocking the sun (and heat) but they do block any useful light at night.

Reversing with them on the rear hatch window is not safe at night in my view unless you have a camera or  a helpful passenger!

16 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Agent Orange, i really like your B pillar mod...do you have a wee pic if i may ask? Im trying to visualise it but i cant seem to process how it would work out on my 3 door without looking odd.

IMG_20171229_104233.thumb.jpg.2e3fbb7054128327734c3d7de98b9847.jpg

Sorry about the shocking photo, Sam but it's snowing like Billy-Oh up here this morning so you'll have to make do with a piccie of the side which includes my garden railings!....I'm not going out in that!:ohmy: (Full zoom and a steady hand only, I'm afraid)

Anyway, I hope that you get the idea and it's a simple job (It must be if I did it!) and took just over an hour to do as I was careful. It was the first time that I had ever wrapped anything but I was pleased with the results.

Back to your glass....If your local Chap is only charging £45.00 to tint your back three windows......Grab his arm off!!!!  It's not worth doing yourself at that price and he will have a heated garage/workshop to do the job in, which is much better.  I like the dark "Limo" effect that comes as standard on the Aygo Fire and I think that the gloss wrap on the B pillars tie it in, however you could go for a lighter tint.  There is only the two of us (My Wife and yours truly) so we like the privacy and the effect of the dark glass at the back but it's not everybody's cup of tea.

Just another thought, if your local Chap is a "Wrap Man" as well and you like the B pillar effect, you could, maybe get him to do it at the same time.  I would advise doing each side in two, oversized pieces of wrap as you will be able to get the back section in behind the front door, that way you won't see a "Shut Line" ....A silver (in your case, I think) strip of paint between the door and the rear panel when you look at it side on.

All the best. :smile:

Thank you Agent Orange, i recon you did an excellent job on that little wrap project, i might just give it a try but when the weathers a bit warmer. Ive purchased the vinyl already lol. I know...im impatient by nature!

Ive decided against tinting my rear windows though in anyway, mainly because id find it difficult to look out of them at night, i dont have any reverse sensors, but even if i did, id still like to be able to see everything clearly.

Good news, i purchased my armster, much cheaper on the Micks garage website than eBay, a 15.00 saving if im not mistaken! If anybody has one, the material on top of the armster, is it a fabric material or imitation leather? Its not mentioned in the ad sadly.

Ive also purchased a K & N panel filter, going by the reviews, it makes a difference, my husband has one on his diesel Avensis, and had them on most of his previous vehicles, except our Corolla prior to the Avesis, whereby he installed the Pipercross version but wasnt impressed. I shall update you once it arrives...fiitted...and then tested!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links