Do Not Sell My Personal Information

replacement Dab radio

strikealimey

Hello, given that I have touch and go fitted I was wondering about the feasibility of replacing that with Dab bluetooth radio and attaching the rear parking camera to it.I am not too bothered about the satnav itself as I` don't find accurate enough but the audio is desirable to me.Thanks

I had a Nextbase Dab adaptor fitted but got no end of interference caused, I think, by a Nextbase Dashcam's wiring.The reception was dreadful

I'm very impressed with the radio install in the Yaris! AM radio works very well, as does DAB!

Only thing I have found, is when certain HGVs pass by:

* AM radio buzzes
* DAB radio fades out

Otherwise, both are clean of interference, and the AM radio has surprisingly good sensitivity! Other cars I've tried the AM radio in, they are "deaf", and don't receive anything.

I've also found that operation of the headlight leveler, or electric windows, can upset the DAB momentarily (fades out) but it depends how strong the DAB signal is. It only occurs for the duration of motion of either.

The Gen. 4 Prius I tried was also very good (at least as good as the Yaris).

Does the upgrade pack come with the longer aerial? Mine came with DAB as standard, and the aerial on the back is longer (it has a shorter, tighter-wound aerial segment at the top 1/6 of the aerial for DAB).

You can see it here:

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2017_05/Aerial.JPG.1ab2263ba2166de33463c426572bf2bd.JPG

• Like 1

On 01/12/2017 at 5:49 PM, Mike J. said:

There is an option for our cars called "DAB Retrofit Module (Toyota)":

DAB retrofit

I think that may be my best option although I would need to make sure  I would get no interference from any of the car wiring or that associated with the Dashcam.I had the DAB adaptor removed but I don't think that or the dashcam was the problem as they are both shielded, rather I think it may have been  the internal wiring and the fact both items were connected to the cigarette lighter

The hybrid is electrically very well shielded. I would doubt very much that it was the car, unless you had a serious fault.

11 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

The hybrid is electrically very well shielded. I would doubt very much that it was the car, unless you had a serious fault.

in which case it must be the wiring associated with the two units.The Dashcam on its own presents no problem and when I removed it temporarily the DAB adaptor was still exhibiting interference.Next base admitted there can be interference issues and Halfords who fitted also admitted that they have had 20% returns.Onee thing I will say in their favour is they reimbursed me fully without any quibles whereas I note that a number of people who have bought the Toyota Dab retrofit model have not been at all happy either with the product or the service they received 

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting.

What kind of interference do you experience? Is it garbled noise or something else?