Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 4 Headlight Washers?

Ten Ninety

Hi Folks

Do either the Gen 4 or the new plug-in have headlight washers? My Googling skills have proved inadequate, so I thought I'd come to ask the people who'd know.

Thank you!

No, unfortunately.

That's a shame. Thanks for the super-speedy reply though!

Yes, I was surprised and disappointed - I'd have liked proper wipers as well as wash on the headlights like some cars I had in the 1990s.

I'd thought that it was a requirement for cars with LED or HID lights, but obviously not.

I've got the Prius Gen4 Excel, which is the top of the range & it doesn't have headlamp washer/wipers. This wasn't offered as an extra either. Never really thought about not having that on the car when I bought it. Perhaps it's available on Prius models made for other countries? 

3 hours ago, PeteB said:

I'd thought that it was a requirement for cars with LED or HID lights, but obviously not.

My understanding is that it is only if the dipped output is more than 2,000 lumen. "Dipped-beam headlamps with a light source or LED module(s) producing the principal dipped beam and having a total objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumen shall only be installed in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No. 45.”

Gen1 PIP has them (and LED headlights).  Maybe new Prius and PIP are not so bright.

9 hours ago, johalareewi said:

Gen1 PIP has them (and LED headlights).  Maybe new Prius and PIP are not so bright.

You may well be right, but the headlights on my Gen 4 are miles brighter than the ordinary ones my Gen 3 Prius (not a PiP) had.

• Like 1

Agreed, I had Xenons on my Q5 and the Prius headlights are streets ahead of them. The Q5 had washers and you would also see them drop down then raise up to get the correct level when you first turned them on.

Although the Prius has self levelling it must work another way as I don’t see them courtesy when they are turned on.  

I've seen mine move up and down on the garage door when I switch on.

On 03/12/2017 at 9:03 AM, PeteB said:

You may well be right, but the headlights on my Gen 4 are miles brighter than the ordinary ones my Gen 3 Prius (not a PiP) had.

My gen3 prius headlights were not very bright at all. I had to fit 'nightbreaker' bulbs to get a decent level of dipped headlight.

My gen1 PIP LED headlights are really bright and are brighter than the main beam lights.

On 03/12/2017 at 12:51 PM, kithmo said:

I've seen mine move up and down on the garage door when I switch on.

How strange as that’s when I used to see the Q5 lights courtesy, but I haven’t seen the Prius do it yet.... odd

On 06/12/2017 at 12:23 AM, Harters said:

to see the Q5 lights courtesy

Perhaps you mean curtsy?

On 12/5/2017 at 11:23 AM, Harters said:

How strange as that’s when I used to see the Q5 lights courtesy, but I haven’t seen the Prius do it yet.... odd

Doesn't do it every time, I don't know why.

13 hours ago, Joseph D said:

Perhaps you mean curtsy?

Oops, predictive text and rushed message error :laugh: