Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Handbrake cable question

onboardvision

Hi everybody.

I bought my daughter a new IQ in 2009 and since then it has covered some 73,000 pretty much trouble free miles. its passed all of its past MOT's with flying colours except the last one in June where it got an advisory on the efficiency of the rear o/s handbrake operation. didn't think much of it as i had just fitted new discs and pads on the rear.

anyway got it back this week for a check up and thought i'd tackle the still less than perfect handbrake performance.

I have checked that the piston screws back in and re-adjusts as it should do, but still not super happy with the efficiency of the o/s rear hand brake.

logically i thought i'd adjust the handbrake cable on that side at the compensator if its a 2 cable handbrake. lifted the centre console around the handbrake leaver and found the 1 adjusting screw........... So having got under the car to find the compensator, all i could see is there left and right cables exit the body of the car and go to each rear wheel assembly.

having looked in all of the obvious places i can only assume that the handbrake compensator (where all 3 cable join up) is located behind the handbrake, under a cover and under the interior mat.

Does anybody have an experience of this or am i just deluding myself.

Cheers

Dario

Have a LOOK AT THIS THREAD.

I had to change my rear pads due to the bottom slide pins being seized. Yours could be similar, maybe the hydraulic pressure from the pedal is enough to overcome any resistance, but the handbrake is't strong enough to do so?

Just a thought.

no, not that as i had them off and all is well in that region.

interested in getting an answer to the specific cable question as I'm baffled.

thanks for taking the time though. :thumbsup:

According to the manual the brake joiner / spliter thing is under a plastic cover under the carpet behind the lever. It says to remove pretty much all the trim from the back of the car to get to it!

Not sure finding it will help though as it has no adjusters on it, the cables have ball ends on them and that is it. Seems all the adjustment is made at the caliper ends.

Craig.

Brake.JPG

Now that is the sort of assistance I was hoping for! Thanks for this. No need to do anything now.

i took the calliper off last night and wound the piston back in. Then adjusted the Caliper out to get a better closer fit. Test drive it and measured the temperature of both rear discs to see if there was excessive heat from dragging. All was ok.

Again, thanks for the good information.

dario

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Dario.

When you say you 'adjusted the caliper'. What exactly do you mean?

Looking at the rear calipers there doesn't seem to be much in the way of adjustment to me.

I don't want to be messing around with the cable under the handbrake centre console, because it was working fine before I rebuilt the calipers.

I'm wary of letting some hairy ***** grease monkey mess about with it because I suspect they are non the wiser when it comes to this model of car.

Paul.

OP hasn't been on here in nearly 6 years

the caliper needs winding back, do not push them back you will bust them

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links