Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Keyless Entry Theft

YarisHybrid2016

Hi,

Just a heads-up to owners of keyless-entry equipped vehicles!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-42132804/relay-crime-theft-caught-on-camera

You can mitigate against this attack by storing the key in a Faraday cage, or simply wrapping it completely in aluminum foil. You can check the foil method works by then presenting the now-wrapped key to the car, and seeing it if detects it. It should not.

Also, store the key as far away from the car as possible, preferably putting it the maximum distance from the vehicle and the nearest outside access areas. This will hopefully prevent the key from being detected.

The other option is to remove the Battery from the key - you should do this especially if you are going on holiday and leaving the vehicle at home.

Be safe out there!

This is nothing new anymore, but I keep my keys in an altoids tin and that should do the same as the other 2 methods.
Now you have to stand almost touching the car before it unlocks. Also it doesn’t always recognise the key when you press the power button.

So by the time I have gone into the house the signal would be on the low side, to make it more of a lottery, which car matches the signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As well as all the above, don't overlook that clamshell-type spectacle cases are often made of steel and make an excellent Faraday cage.

If you only have a different, plastic, type of glasses case, why not swap yours with an elderly relative and tell them that it's a stylish upgrade for them, or if on a tight budget, an early Christmas present.

HTH

• Like 1

Fairly well covered in a recent topic - 

A foil crisp bag will also act as a Faraday cage

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links