Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'08 Aygo improvements?

GMadd1601

So i've held my full UK drivers licence just over a year and 2008 Toyota Aygo as my first car, i have always found them nice cars as they always looked good and were not terrible in terms of performance, when i passed my test i thought as a first car it would be a good choice as it is inexpensive to insure and run... but now i have driven it for a year id like to make a few (subtle) improvements that will aid its usability.

So my question to you all is this... are there any relatively inexpensive things i can do to my car that will improve the performance (power/handling/braking/responsiveness) or look of my car without impacting the insurance too much? I want the car to be more personal (not like a lot of the others on the roads of Britain) and thought this would be the best place to ask for this advice.

I'm still a young driver so insurance companies will beat me into the ground if i went and fitted the (albeit amazing but VERY expensive) TTS Supercharger...

Thankyou in advance.

Hi George and welcome to the board. :smile:

I'm afraid that any modification from Alloy Wheels to a sporty exhaust will affect your insurance as you should inform them of anything you do and with only 12 months under your belt, they might just.....Let's say..."Make things difficult" for you.  To be fair, some insurance companies don't demand extra cash for simple mods (Like Alloys) but you still have to inform them as any changes make the car "Non standard".  The best thing is to decide what you would like to do and then ask them, you can only be horrified or pleasantly surprised.

The only modification that I can think of, that won't affect your insurance and make it look a bit different from other Aygos is an "Old School" striping kit, such as this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/toyota-aygo-side-stripe-decals-stickers-graphics-choice-of-design/253270613961?epid=518381114&hash=item3af81adfc9:g:cm8AAOSwTuJYqwIh

Even if you had a pocketful of money, there aren't that many engine mods apart from air intakes that you can do to the Aygo and they have been met with mixed reactions when it comes to results.  It's a similar story with the brakes and handling,  you're limited to a set of Coilovers and 15" alloys with a set of good tyres....Bigger alloys actually help with handling and the Aygo sticks to the road a bit more but at £500+ for a set, is it really worth it?

It might be as well to keep the car stock, save your money and move up to something with a bit more "Go" as your premiums come down.

Probably not what you want to hear, George, sorry about that but as I'm guilty of throwing money at cars, over the years, I hope it helps in some way.

All the best. :wink:

• Thanks 2

On any car, one of the cheapest, easiest, personalisations you can make that is also functional and will not affect insurance!?!?!

Wind and rain deflectors!!!

As for performance, per previous, use the aygo to save your money so you can get something more powerful... Or? Get a bike!!! 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Agent Orange said:

Hi George and welcome to the board. :smile:

I'm afraid that any modification from Alloy Wheels to a sporty exhaust will affect your insurance as you should inform them of anything you do and with only 12 months under your belt, they might just.....Let's say..."Make things difficult" for you.  To be fair, some insurance companies don't demand extra cash for simple mods (Like Alloys) but you still have to inform them as any changes make the car "Non standard".  The best thing is to decide what you would like to do and then ask them, you can only be horrified or pleasantly surprised.

The only modification that I can think of, that won't affect your insurance and make it look a bit different from other Aygos is an "Old School" striping kit, such as this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/toyota-aygo-side-stripe-decals-stickers-graphics-choice-of-design/253270613961?epid=518381114&hash=item3af81adfc9:g:cm8AAOSwTuJYqwIh

Even if you had a pocketful of money, there aren't that many engine mods apart from air intakes that you can do to the Aygo and they have been met with mixed reactions when it comes to results.  It's a similar story with the brakes and handling,  you're limited to a set of Coilovers and 15" Alloys with a set of good tyres....Bigger alloys actually help with handling and the Aygo sticks to the road a bit more but at £500+ for a set, is it really worth it?

It might be as well to keep the car stock, save your money and move up to something with a bit more "Go" as your premiums come down.

Probably not what you want to hear, George, sorry about that but as I'm guilty of throwing money at cars, over the years, I hope it helps in some way.

All the best. :wink:

51 minutes ago, Plob said:

On any car, one of the cheapest, easiest, personalisations you can make that is also functional and will not affect insurance!?!?!

Wind and rain deflectors!!!

As for performance, per previous, use the aygo to save your money so you can get something more powerful... Or? Get a bike!!! 😁

Thankyou both for your replies and it seems there is a common theme, even though its a nice enough car to drive i totally see what you both have said and i think keeping it stock may be my only option, it makes sense now as to why i've seen very few (if any) modified Aygo's besides the Aygo Crazy...

• Like 1

Hello  again, George.

I see that you've changed your avatar since last we spoke and if that is your car....Have no fears, it's a little belter!

It looks like you already have a set of alloys...Don't change them (Please) !  You have side molding/moulding (I can never decide :blush:) strips, so forget the side stripes as they would look awful but if you're brave.....How about the other route?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Aygo-OTT001-roof-bonnet-rear-racing-stripes-graphics-stickers-decals/263108239514?epid=24006183805&hash=item3d4279209a:g:pNUAAOSwzN9ZeIvF

Other than that, a set of Wind deflectors, as @Plob has said would look good (I have a pair on mine) and they are actually useful as well!

Just enjoy the Aygo for what it is, Mate.... a little, fun, perky, motor that has a bit of character in a very bland world.:wink:

1 hour ago, Agent Orange said:

Hello  again, George.

I see that you've changed your avatar since last we spoke and if that is your car....Have no fears, it's a little belter!

It looks like you already have a set of alloys...Don't change them (Please) !  You have side molding/moulding (I can never decide :blush:) strips, so forget the side stripes as they would look awful but if you're brave.....How about the other route?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Aygo-OTT001-roof-bonnet-rear-racing-stripes-graphics-stickers-decals/263108239514?epid=24006183805&hash=item3d4279209a:g:pNUAAOSwzN9ZeIvF

Other than that, a set of Wind deflectors, as @Plob has said would look good (I have a pair on mine) and they are actually useful as well!

Just enjoy the Aygo for what it is, Mate.... a little, fun, perky, motor that has a bit of character in a very bland world.:wink:

Yes i did change up my profile a little to show a bit more about me/my car, those racing stripes would be a bold choice!

i might get those wind deflectors though as i can see why they would be functional, it would just be nice to make my car more 'mine' if that makes sense XD 

I am very much a car person and like to take things and make them my own, i think the only thing currently that separates mine from a lot of others is my 'Silverstone' sticker on the rear which personally i think looks rather good ;) haha

*And don't worry i wasn't panning on changing my alloys any time soon (even if they are a little scuffed)  ;) haha*

Beware the insurance companies. They are very tricky in instances of 'modification' and interpret the word liberally. When insuring my Aygo (and mindful of the fact that all calls are recorded) when asked if it had been modified in any way I replied 'not to my knowledge'. This was a truthful answer and covers me in the event of a claim. 

Take a look at the link:

https://www.keithmichaels.co.uk/modified-cars-insurance/car-insurance-modifications-guide/

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, paulie b said:

Beware the insurance companies. They are very tricky in instances of 'modification' and interpret the word liberally. When insuring my Aygo (and mindful of the fact that all calls are recorded) when asked if it had been modified in any way I replied 'not to my knowledge'. This was a truthful answer and covers me in the event of a claim. 

Take a look at the link:

https://www.keithmichaels.co.uk/modified-cars-insurance/car-insurance-modifications-guide/

Thanks for that, i had no idea that even air filters were required to be declared!

They are, give them anything they can use to get out of paying and they really will!!!

Even though an air filter will only make your at to sound the nuts!

Though psychologically it will make your aygo a whole lot more fun to drive!!!

You could always ask them in advance, how much will doing this cost me on my policy?

• Like 1

There's a centre console you can buy which lets you fit a Double DIN radio to the Aygo, that might be worth looking at. As long as the stereo is under £100 (AFAIK) it wouldn't affect the insurance.

Buy yourself a glovebox lid. It makes the world of difference to the interior of the car. You can also buy an arm rest which looks good (haven't got round to doing this myself).

My 107 is a special edition "Millesim" as Peugeot were 200 years old when I bought it, and inside the car all the trim pieces around the speedo and air vents are a metallic blue. You can change these I think to different colours if you wish. You can also paint the calipers, and I plan to paint mine blue to match the interior trim pieces. After that, if you have alloys, you can always paint the alloys. Again, I'm planning to paint mine white.

You could also get hold of some mud guards for the car, that makes it looks nice.

Also you can get a sill protector for the car, I managed to get Peugeot branded ones for mine easily enough and they make a difference to the utilitarian feel of the 107 (although the Aygo feels more upmarket from stock IMO). 

You can always upgrade the Speakers as well. I think they can support Speakers in the rear without too much in the way of messing about, two channels already go to the rear if I recall correctly. But if you're upgrading the head unit then you should be able to do it at the same time.

• Like 1

I guess like many here, I've driven lots of different cars. I've only had my Aygo for a matter of weeks. I understand your desire to personalise your car, but my advice would be to enjoy it for what it is. I already know I've made a great purchase with my Fire model. It's simply fun to drive 'off the shelf' in a similar manner to the original Mini. 

• Like 1