Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

3 door VS 5 door

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Just a thought guys n girls, after having a brief convo with a close friend today, im looking to invest my hard earned savings on a 3 door Aygo whereas my friend went for a 5 door and feels its more practical, i have 2 teenagers and a 5 year old, i feel my 5 year is safer in the rear in her seat with no doors to worry about, and my teenagers hardly ever travel with me together. I suppose getting in and out of the rear can be a pain and the larger heavier doors, BUT I recon the 3 door version looks alot sportier. 

Do you think 5 door versions hold their value more?

It's a good question, Sam and one which will get answers saying that each one is better, so all I can do is tell you my experience.  I am 6'4" and when we were looking at the  Aygo found that with the seat fully back against the stops (which it has to be, for me) when I looked right (for instance at a junction) I was looking at the door frame in the 5 door.  With the 3 door, I look through the glass as the doors are slightly longer.  In my opinion, the 3 door looks sportier and I totally agree with you on that one and I just prefer the look of it over the 5 door.

However.....With a 5 door you get the ablility to crack open the rear side windows (They don't wind down, just flip out sideways at the back) for a bit of fresh air. You also gain the ability to get in and out of the back and sort your 5 year old out in her seat, or throw a bag easily on the back seat.  When you release the front seats on a 3 door, the seat tilts forward and then slides forward to the front stops, that gives you more room to get into the back but it's still a bit of a twist.  The problem comes when you want the put the front seat back....Pull the handle and the seat back returns to upright, but it doesn't remember where the seat base was and you have to re-adjust/pull/push/manhandle the seat back to where you have it for your normal driving position.  It's not too bad for me, as I just push it back against the stops but if you have the seat a bit further forward, you have to make your own arrangements.  It's not easy to chuck something like a bag between the seats, into the back, due to the high backs and if you put a bag onto the passenger (front) seat instead, the seat belt alarm sounds when you move off as it thinks that somebody is sitting in it.

All in all, it's personal choice....For me, as there is only the two of us (My Wife is fairly tall as well at 5'7") the 3 door won out on looks and preference.  However for others, they will need access to the back and a 5 door will be the clear winner, as it really isn't that easy to get into the back of a 3 door.

As for holding their value, I'd be surprised if there was any difference between the two models as other Folk will want different things but I would hazard a guess that there are less 3 doors about.  I wouldn't swap my 3 door for a 5 door and I bet others say that they wouldn't want to swap, the other way and I can totally understand that, as well.

All I can say, Sam is that you'll know which model to go for when you find the right one as it will "talk" to you.....Half the fun of buying a Car is actually looking for one, isn't it? :wink:

Whichever model you get, I'm sure you'll love it....All the best! :smile:

Depends what your usage is going to be like. These are general comments and not directly for or against the different versions of the Aygo. We've previously had both three and five door cars and in our experience: 

The five door will obviously be easier for carrying passengers, putting stuff on the back seats, and unfolding the rear seat backs into the upright position.

The wider doors of the three door can be an issue if one garages the car - as once in the garage the wider doors will mean the door opening will be narrower - and the same can apply in car parks.

The three door may be more secure - having two less doors and hence fewer areas which can be accessed or forced.

Hi,

I owned both versions. Here is my opinion:

Advantages of 5 doors:
- In a tiny car such as this, you can use the back seats to store things. In a 3-door, things on the back seats are almost impossible to reach. When I put my jacket on the back seats, I sometimes find it hard to take it.
- On Aygo mk1s, front seats do not keep their setting when they are pushed to grant access to the back seats. You have to re-adjust your seat every time, which can be bothersome.
- On 3-door cars, the doors are longer, heavier, harder to open on narrow parking spaces.
- 5-door cars feel safer for passengers at the back. They do not feel trapped in case of crash.
- 5-door cars sell better. Most people do not want to buy a 3-door car.

Advantage of 3 doors:
- Lighter so better fuel economy.

The Aygo is particulary well designed, it is amazing they managed to have so many doors on that short a car!

You guys are amazing, thank you all so very much indeed, i didnt expect such indepth inputs, and such interesting reading.

Other than the hassle of having to reposition my drivers seat each time, i’d personally much prefer to live with a 3 door vs the 5 door. My teenage boys agree with me..but they’re hoping to inherit it oneday lol.

Agent Orange...thank you.

Pretty much every manufacturer is dropping 3 door versions  of cars atm - the demand just isn't there for them. So, yes, for residual value i would expect the 5 dr to do better. However, how long do you intend to keep the car & what do you think it will be worth at the end of that time as it may not be worth worrying about.

Imo 3 drs do tend to look prettier but are less practical/versatile.

I am normally one of those who finds 2 door cars much more ashthetically 'sporty' but with the Aygo it is one of only a couple of cars which I find is the other way round. I much prefer the lines of the 4 door rear glass, with benefit that I often open up both in the summer for quiet, non buffeting ventilation (I do not have aircon). Not having a need for a folding front seat also meant I had more options for front seat replacement :)IMG_20150509_160643_zpsuphmt23t.thumb.jpg.6ac8e40acfdc10d63061e3c198e3ba6b.jpg

IMG_20150509_160602_zpsyxrgqyuv.jpg

I've found the 5 door on these cars to be a lot better and more practical, if anything for people getting in the car of the car. Although you'll have to be prepared for people to try and get in via the front doors as they don't realise your small car has 5 doors!

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

I am normally one of those who finds 2 door cars much more ashthetically 'sporty' but with the Aygo it is one of only a couple of cars which I find is the other way round. I much prefer the lines of the 4 door rear glass

I agree, and it's particularly true with the new Aygo.

The door window is almost flat. And then comes the rear window, triangular in shape, with no connection whatsoever with the door window or the tail lights. Not very nice.

406361dayexterior27068.jpg

Five door as a comparison - 

New-Toyota-Aygo-Hatchback-1.0-VVT-i-5dr-Profile.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links