Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic transmission fluid change

ouzair

Hi All

Just wanted to get people thoughts on changing the ATF on an Auris Hybrid. My MK1 Auris hit 70000 miles and when booking in for its service I askes Toyota about changing the ATF oil to which they replied it does not need to be changed. Has anyone changed this in their car? Did you have this changed at Toyota?

Hi,

I posted this some months ago.  It should give you some insight into the job on a Mk 2.

I don't think it needs to be changed particularly; there are no clutches or friction parts as such, just gears and bearings.  However, at high mileages (180,000+??) the transmissions can whine a bit, and changing the oils is as much as you can do to prevent that.

The transmissions don't fail. And not changing the oil is normal.  The oil is regular Toyota ATF - WS, the same that goes into lots of their automatic cars, not just hybrids.  'WS' just stands for 'World Standard'.  The oil is a reasonable price, unlike the oil for 'real' CVT gearboxes in some other cars.

HTH

• 3 years later...

There is actually a replacement interval for Hybrid CVT. Normally it is about 100k miles in USA toyota dealership. In EU, you can still ask dealership to change it for you or DIY for about 4L. It is safe to change it earlier  whenever we do towing, probably 60k miles instead of 100k miles.   Especially for Yaris that has no water cooling, only oil cooled system. I changed ATF fluid every 90k miles on my 06 Prius. It has 220k miles when I sold it. Everything works fine except the Battery died in 2017, very hot weather in Florida kill it. In UK, we have much longer life because of mild weather. Even Toyota gives  15 years warranty in UK, everywhere else only 10 years

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links