Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ignition Disabled

Anita Guymer

Hi guys, recently purchased an Aygo had a couple of months weird thing happened twice now.  Stopped to pick up grandson from nursery daughter got out of drivers seat I was in passenger seat she left key in ignition, when she got to start the car nothing no dash lights dead.  In a bit of shock we sat there for a while then I started to call breakdown going through the callcentre protocol.  After about 15 minutes she tried again and bingo it started.

Similar thing happened today she drove to a friends to pick up her little boy, left keys in ignition with grandson in seat, came back to put her friend in the car and same thing happened.  Is there a motion senor that disables the ignition.?  I called a Toyota garge locally and they had not heard this.  

Might be inclined to check the car Battery - ie low on charge or not being charged. If it is the original Battery may be at the end of its life.

Moved to the Aygo club.

To be honest the usual reason for this is forgetting to push the clutch pedal fully down whilst trying to start the engine. Don't press the clutch and the electrics will appear to be totally dead. It catches a lot of people out, including me on a couple of occasions! 

5 minutes ago, yossarian247 said:

To be honest the usual reason for this is forgetting to push the clutch pedal fully down whilst trying to start the engine. Don't press the clutch and the electrics will appear to be totally dead. It catches a lot of people out, including me on a couple of occasions! 

Although Toyota say the clutch pedal should be depressed when starting the car, unlike other Toyota models, the Aygo doesn't have the system where a clutch switch prevents the car starting should the pedal not be depressed. The engine can be started without depressing the clutch.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Although Toyota say the clutch pedal should be depressed when starting the car, unlike other Toyota models, the Aygo doesn't have the system where a clutch switch prevents the car starting should the pedal not be depressed. The engine can be started without depressing the clutch.

Oh my apologies, ignore me then! 

I've only driven an Aygo a couple of times and just assumed it was like the others. 

Seeing that both times the keys were left in the ignition and no one was in the driver seat it I suspect it disables the ignition for security or to prevent the Battery being drain in the car or key fob? Why not try it again as an experiment? 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links