Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Please help with EGR urgent

Coolissimo

Hi, 

After changing my fuel filter, I decided to clean my EGR as my fuel consumption was high comparing to some months ago. Then I notice that the air  entrance to the motor , was very clogged  as shown in the picture below

When I got to  the EGR  , I was unsure  if I should take off plastic part, where the connector is. As shown in the last picture

My question is,  should I only clean as it is ? or should I take off the electric part that is screwed to the valve, so I could have a deep cleaning? It is my first time doing it, and need the car for tomorrow so if I could have some help would appreciate.

I have a Toyota Avensis Estate D4D T27 

Thank You

IMG_20171205_132403671[1].jpg

IMG_20171205_211834133[1].jpg

IMG_20171205_211816303[1].jpg

IMG_20171205_211805765[1].jpg

IMG_20171205_211852858[1].jpg

I Have sorted out, you do not need to take out the plastic housing . Job Done.

Hi there,

My husband did exactly what you have done a few weeks, and i recall him thinking the same thing, whether he should remove the plastic housing for a more thorough clean, but then noticed that the housing was secured by some special screws and hence did not attempt to remove the cover, but he gave the egr and air entrance a thorough clean, and the car drove beautifully straight after. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Hi there,

My husband did exactly what you have done a few weeks, and i recall him thinking the same thing, whether he should remove the plastic housing for a more thorough clean, but then noticed that the housing was secured by some special screws and hence did not attempt to remove the cover, but he gave the egr and air entrance a thorough clean, and the car drove beautifully straight after. 

Hi Sam, 

Thanks for the answer, I did manage to open the plastic lid, but like I said , you don't need to, as there is a mechanism with gears, thats are spotty clean, no fumes get inside. To be honest Toyota did a great job creating the valve, well thought. 

The valve on the T27 is much better than on  the T25, which would block up much more and need a good clean.

I have the same model and as said by another forum member the valve doesn't need the most attention, it is as shown in your photos where it connects to the inlet manifold via the spigot piece that needs the cleaning.

I cleaned mine last weekend and I am getting around 2 mpg improvement.

It gets done roughly every 10 to 15k.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coolissimo said:

Hi Sam, 

Thanks for the answer, I did manage to open the plastic lid, but like I said , you don't need to, as there is a mechanism with gears, thats are spotty clean, no fumes get inside. To be honest Toyota did a great job creating the valve, well thought. 

Im glad the job went well for you, please tell me, when you opened the plastic housing, what tool did you use to undo the screws, Im curious.

Hi Sam, 

Im glad the job went well for you, please tell me, when you opened the plastic housing, what tool did you use to undo the screws, Im curious.

Looking at the photos of the valve cover, you need anti tamper torx bits to undo, unless you are creative with a flat bladed screwdriver.

Hi Sam , I used a special set of keys. Please look at the pictures so you can have a better idea how it looks.

Hope it helps.

IMG_20171210_091210723[1].jpg

IMG_20171210_091240546[1].jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1