Nightblind

Avensis T Spirit D-4D 2006 Headlights Very Dim HELP!

Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can help with regards to newly purchased used Avensis T Spirit D-4D 2006 reg 2.2l diesel.

I thought i had been thorough on my examination of the car (during the day) but was only able to drive down a cut de sac and not get out of 2nd gear. So I had to return in evening so i could go further a field for a proper test drive etc. On the return trip along a dual carriageway - travelling out of a city in countryside i discovered that i could hardly see anything!!! The headlights were unbelievably dim and i had to reduce my speed to around 30mph straightaway as i had hardly any visibility and put on my high beam for a moment. I presumed it might have been the (0-5) angle height button was set wrong but wasn't going to try and find and adjust during the drive.

On returning to the sellers address with car parked infront of a wall, checked what number the light height was on - it was already on 0. I tested them 0-5 up & down and they did move so the motor works but the 0 setting was low and dim.  The seller said the drivers side headlight was a bit out and he hadn't got round to adjusting. I assumed that once the headlight was adjusted to correct alignment and maybe bulbs changed problem would be solved.

I collected the car the next day in daylight!

Of course i have now read almost every post there is on the web about avensis headlights, how terrible they are, how impossible they are to get to and still have no clue on how to move forward with my problem.

Please can anyone offer step by step instruction on how to change the bulbs as they are ridiculously dim.

Also i am bemused as to what bulbs do i need to get, do i need halogen or xenon?? I would like to order them so i have them for the change as opposed to taking the bulbs out and then having to put it all back together to go into town and buy!

Any recommendations on brightest bulb without doing this very expensive whole headlight upgrade thing i have also read about!

And very importantly how to adjust the headlight focus beam both in horizontal and vertical.

I am not a mechanic and yes i could take it to a garage but if i can try and attempt it myself then i would prefer to, as at this point i really can't afford a high garage bill for changing a light bulb! Especially as i know i am going to have to spend a lot of money on other things on the car.

Anyone have a pdf of a workshop manual?

Any help and advise will be gladly received or pointing me to a good youtube film would be great.

Thanks in advance

Hi Jo, welcome to TOC. :smile:

If you have manual level adjustment I would assume that you don't have Xenons.

Is your car a facelift or pre-facelift (the facelift was during 2006) as they changed the lights - easy way to tell is where are the indicator repeaters, in the mirrors or on the wings?

There should be a link to a workshop manual pdf in one of the threads on this forum if you search.

As for upgrade bulbs I usually go for Philips or Osram but my experience on a 57 plate Avensis was that the light within the beam area will increase but don't expect the beam area to increase much at all (that's a lens design issue).

P.S. My I don't know if it is still general but my dealer still operates a "buy genuine T bulbs from us & we fit for free" policy, T has it's own series of upgrade bulbs. Also, iirc Halfords charge £5 to fit bulbs bought from them (but probably aren't the cheapest to buy from).

Thanks for replying Heidfirst.

Its a 56 plate. Haven't been in it enough to notice if the indicators are on wings or mirrors think there are some on mirrors as noticed them when unlocking the car and all lights flashed.

I am a bit confused on what bulbs to buy.

I have the owner manual and says

headlights (low) - Discharge D45 , H7 Halogen

Headlights (high) - H1 halogen

So do i just buy H1 & H7 not sure what D45 is??

Parking light  - Wedge base bulbs (clear) - don't know what that is meant to mean is it a W5W?

Fog Light - H11, but when i put my number plate in on a bulb site it had HP3  & HP4 for front fog lights?

I did search all over this forum and found the threads about manuals, every link i clicked on would not work, page gone etc.

Have also trawled the internet and can't find a pdf all the pages i click onto are empty.

thanks

Go by what is in the owners manual as regards bulbs. Third party websites aren't always accurate.

The D45 fitment refers to cars which are fitted with 'high intensity discharge' lighting.

Presumably as your lights appear dim, you have the halogen bulbs - H7's and H1's.

Examples of the brightest road legal halogen bulbs currently on sale are:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=h7+philips+racing+vision+%2B150%+12v+55w+477+halogen+bulbs&sprefix=H7+philips+%2Caps%2C196&crid=1P5IMDBA9GTW2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-12258XV-S2-X-treme-Headlamp/dp/B00NMEEL5Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1512602720&sr=8-2&keywords=h1+upgrade+bulbs

W5W bulbs are wedge type bulbs commonly used for side lights, number plate lights, etc - the 5 stands for 5 watts. Example - https://www.amazon.co.uk/INTENSE-halogen-position-2825HCBI-02B-passenger/dp/B005OK4PR0/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1512602797&sr=1-1&keywords=W5w+upgrade+bulbs

• Like 1

Hey Frostyballs, thanks for answering.

Yes very doubtful i have the HID as really dim!

Will order H1, H7, W5W and will get fog light bulb out and check before i order, hopefully the new bulbs will be better than they are now and won't need the fogs to help me see.

Any ideas on how to do the beam focus/alignment?

1 hour ago, Nightblind said:

I did search all over this forum and found the threads about manuals, every link i clicked on would not work, page gone etc.

Have also trawled the internet and can't find a pdf all the pages i click onto are empty.

thanks

http://www.mediafire.com/download/gw1wm4kq2vj/Avensis+2002+T0+2007++Manual.rar?  still seems to be working? You will need a programme to unpack it though (WinRar will do it)

thanks , can't open it though :(

Bulbs ordered hopefully will attempt the fitting friday.

58 minutes ago, Nightblind said:

thanks , can't open it though :(

as I said you need a programme to unpack it e.g. WinRar https://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Hi 

Just wanted to give an update on the lighting scenario.

Thanks for the manual, that was a fantastic help and think i would have been stuck without it.

So after a lot of difficulty and many tools, managed to change the light bulbs. Yes it did take hours, yes it was very fiddly and yes it did involve unbolting a couple of things that were in the way. The thing that took the time and was the the culprit of the awful illumination and bad alignment was not just rubbish bulbs but the clips that were holding the bulb in place. Previous owner or mechanic must have just got fed up at how hard it all was to do and rammed the bulb and pushed clip on blindly.  On the offside bulb they had clipped over a wire!! On the near side they had bent the clip so badly that the bulb was not being held in the correct position at all therefore never focussing and thus having a dark spot etc.

Getting the clip off and out to re-bend took some time but by getting the clip to hold the bulb in the right place meant the focus of the bulb worked and the lights now give fantastic illumination on the road. Maybe this is the problem that everyone is having with the avensis lights????

Thanks for the update.

Halogen bulbs (LEDs too) lose output as they age   - even if you had fitted brand new oem bulbs (& tbh the original oem ex-factory bulbs are built to a price/performance ratio rather than to be the best that they can be) you would have noticed a difference. Plus bulb design & manufacture has improved over the years & particularly if you are prepared to pay more for a better performance then things improve again.

& obviously fitting as intended makes a difference too ... :rolleyes: