Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine swap?

niterider

Hi, just wondered if anyone had some advice, I'm picking up another motor next year but will be keeping the avensis estate as a project as looking to tour Europe with the family in time to come, I'm driving this car just now but drinking oil due to having a 1ZZ-FE engine it, so I know about the problems with this and oil consumption. My car is a 2004 Toyota Avensis Tourer 1.8. I was looking to replace this engine as this is the second 1ZZ-FE in the car, original 1ZZ-FE 1.8 engine also died of thirst due to this problem. The second engine was installed before I purchased a couple of years ago. My question being, I was told the later 1.8 engines from 06 onwards were fine and did not have this problem as Toyota resolved the issue or would I be safer going for the 2.0 P to be safe and weight issues with touring, not sure what my options are with engines to be honest, I know a little bit about mechanics but not to fit one myself, will be helping a mechanic, so laymans terms would be helpful, still learning :biggrin: thanks

Stay with a later '06 onwards 1ZZ-FE engine. It is a direct swap. The modifications fixed the oil consumption issues. 

The 2.0l 1AZ is a totally different fit. The exhaust is different to the back box/rear section and the ECU will be different too. The fuel injection of the 1AZ will have to come with the engine, as it is direct injection, as opposed to the 1ZZ indirect system. Add the transmission and wiring loom!

It easier to do a like for like swap, with only the engine to worry about.  

It sounds like the second engine was a pre '06 engine, so was no different to the original engine it replaced. I am sure that there are serial numbers, for the later engines. So long as the engine is from a '06 - '08 donor car with documentation you should be fine. You may even see the donor car yourself.

6 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Stay with a later '06 onwards 1ZZ-FE engine. It is a direct swap. The modifications fixed the oil consumption issues. 

The 2.0l 1AZ is a totally different fit. The exhaust is different to the back box/rear section and the ECU will be different too. The fuel injection of the 1AZ will have to come with the engine, as it is direct injection, as opposed to the 1ZZ indirect system. Add the transmission and wiring loom!

It easier to do a like for like swap, with only the engine to worry about.  

It sounds like the second engine was a pre '06 engine, so was no different to the original engine it replaced. I am sure that there are serial numbers, for the later engines. So long as the engine is from a '06 - '08 donor car with documentation you should be fine. You may even see the donor car yourself.

Thanks very much for the information Konrad, with it not being a direct swap with the 2.0l 1AZ, I will stick with the 1.8l 06 - 08, make my life easier ,yea I checked the engine serial number on current engine and previous owner said it was from a 05, so id say that it is going down the same route as original engine. id say your right about seeing the donor car myself and docs to be on the safe side, thanks again Konrad 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links