Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Remove steering column plastic trim

conman33158

Hi all, can anyone point me in the right direction as how to remove the plastic trim around the steering column? I bought a 2008 Auris 2.0 D4D a few months back and only recently found out that the door key lock or the ignition barrel has been changed as although I can remote open and start the car fine I cannot manually open the door, I thought maybe the lock was seized but it's simply a different lock to the key so I'm guessing the door has maybe been changed but lock wasn't.

I bought a new ignition barrel, door lock and remote key set, I have replaced the door lock no problem but now have 2 keys, one to open remotely and start as usual and another to just open the door manually but want to replace the barrel so I can have the 1 key for both door and ignition. I tried taking the barrel itself out off the whole mechanism by switching the ignition to accessory on the new lock and pushing in the small pin and sliding the lock barrel out but it wont come out, only slides out about 5mm so will need to replace the whole thing. I know all about the snap bolts on the barrel so will remove them with a hammer and chisel but can't see any screws to take the plastics off to get into the barrel to start with.

Anyone any ideas on how this is done?

Cheers

Cheers mate, it actually doesn't tell you how to remove the key cylinder even though its named "IGNITION KEY CYLINDER LIGHT > REMOVAL"  but at least I know how to remove the plastic cover to get in there. No screws as I thought but looks easy enough.

Found what I was looking for mate. I'm one step closer...lol....cheers :)

I managed to get it sorted today. I got the barrel out and swapped it over along with externals from the key fob and transponder chip. I think the transponder chip swap over was the worst as they are really jammed in there and was afraid of them snapping when getting them out but was lucky enough or it might have been a bigger more expensive job. The only thing is if I lock the door remotely and open with the key via door lock the alarm goes off until I start the car, but if I lock with the key and open with the key there is no problem. Not too worried though as the door entry is in case of an emergency so I can gain access to the car if the key fob were to fail for some unknown reason.

Thanks again for the info :-)

2 hours ago, conman33158 said:

I managed to get it sorted today. I got the barrel out and swapped it over along with externals from the key fob and transponder chip. I think the transponder chip swap over was the worst as they are really jammed in there and was afraid of them snapping when getting them out but was lucky enough or it might have been a bigger more expensive job. The only thing is if I lock the door remotely and open with the key via door lock the alarm goes off until I start the car, but if I lock with the key and open with the key there is no problem. Not too worried though as the door entry is in case of an emergency so I can gain access to the car if the key fob were to fail for some unknown reason.

Thanks again for the info :-)

That's what it should do.

Cheers mate, wasn't sure if this was supposed to happen, at least I know now that everything is working as it should. Just need to get a spare key cut with transponder chip so I don't end up stuck as this is the only key I have...lol.

2 hours ago, conman33158 said:

Cheers mate, wasn't sure if this was supposed to happen, at least I know now that everything is working as it should. Just need to get a spare key cut with transponder chip so I don't end up stuck as this is the only key I have...lol.

How will you program the key?

It won't be me programming it mate, I'll just bring the main key to the locksmith and he can do it, as far as I know he charges £65 for a key that will open and start the car no remote. Toyota was looking over £300 for a remote key so I'll do without...lol. Probably be harder for Toyota now anyway now that the key and barrel has been changed as I think they use the registration to duplicate a key.

On 08/12/2017 at 4:51 PM, conman33158 said:

but if I lock with the key and open with the key there is no problem.

that is because the alarm is not set by locking mechanically.

On 10/12/2017 at 3:13 PM, conman33158 said:

It won't be me programming it mate, I'll just bring the main key to the locksmith and he can do it, as far as I know he charges £65 for a key that will open and start the car no remote. Toyota was looking over £300 for a remote key so I'll do without...lol. Probably be harder for Toyota now anyway now that the key and barrel has been changed as I think they use the registration to duplicate a key.

Ok, he will cut and program a transpoder key. However, this is what you need https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-TOYOTA-AURIS-AVENSIS-RAV4-ETC-RF-LED-2BUTON-REMOTE-ALARM-UNCUT-KEY-FOB/332337347963?hash=item4d60d97d7b:g:lp4AAOSwo4pYkcBW

There are couple of youtube videos, more to do pairing key rather programming. However, If you have Techstream you can program the keys.

I think by the time I pay £35 for a virgin key then buying software which may or may not work I'd be safer just paying £65 for a new spare key. I went down this road before with a Vectra and after I bought the software and a virgin key I was out of pocket by £100 then had to go and pay £190 for a new key anyway so cost a total of £290, needless to say I won't be getting stung again.

Every car I owned, I purchased a factory spec diagnostic tool. Techstream is an invaluable tool that you can monitor live data and run component test. Furthermore, I have passcode calculator for programming smart keys.

I took a look around on fleabay and seen the Techstream that don't seem too expensive. I'll maybe buy one and get familiar with it. Just hoping if I get the blank key my locksmith doesn't mess about with it as sometime he can be a real !Removed! trying to squeeze more money from ya say it needs this and that. although I can just bring the key with everything removed so he cant mess with it.

Can you program the remote part with Techstream or do you have to do all that open close door stuff?

Seeing as I has a spare remote fob from the other key I went out to the car with the original key and done the whole open close door thing and managed to program the spare keyfob so now I have 2 remotes opening and closing the car. So all I need to do now is get that blank key and Techstream from fleabay and program the transponder chip and just get the locksmith to cut the key. Well that's the theory anyway...lol. At least I have an original Toyota keyfob working :)

9 hours ago, conman33158 said:

I took a look around on fleabay and seen the Techstream that don't seem too expensive. I'll maybe buy one and get familiar with it.

Techstream itself is available for download for free but the legal activation licence is from €5 for a day >. https://www.toyota-tech.eu/GTS/Wizard/step2-intro.aspx

The ones on fleabay will be cracked & hence illegal (if that bothers you).

Don't know too much about it mate but I doubt I'll lose any sleep over it, I don't think I'd pay £300 for all the use it would get, maybe if I did it for a living then I'd pay but for what it's going to be used for I'd be fine. I still have my old Vauxhall Opcom which I think is more or less the same thing.

On another note, is it possible to program an already used transponder chip? As these can be de-registered I'm thinking they should be able to be re-written.

17 minutes ago, conman33158 said:

Don't know too much about it mate but I doubt I'll lose any sleep over it, I don't think I'd pay £300 for all the use it would get

you wouldn't need to -  as I said you can legally licence it for €5 for a single day.

1 hour ago, conman33158 said:

Don't know too much about it mate but I doubt I'll lose any sleep over it, I don't think I'd pay £300 for all the use it would get, maybe if I did it for a living then I'd pay but for what it's going to be used for I'd be fine. I still have my old Vauxhall Opcom which I think is more or less the same thing.

On another note, is it possible to program an already used transponder chip? As these can be de-registered I'm thinking they should be able to be re-written.

Try this method or variation before purchasing Techstream

Should be okay - Transponder chips in keys are actually passive RFID's - They can't be programmed or anything.

What you're really doing is coding the transponder chip into the car ECU, so it should be doable assuming they are compatible. (Don't know with the Avensis, but with the Mk1 Yaris there are 3 different types of key and 3 different types of remote fob and they are not cross-compatible!)

@ Heidfirst: As for paying 5 euro for a day this seems fine but the actual hardware cost 690 euro which defeats the purpose.

I have ordered both the key and hardware so at least I can use the Techstream if I ever get an error code jumping up in the future. I still have another working fob and spare transponder so I can put those into an empty Shell blank and get it cut and then after getting the other key I've ordered I'll get it cut and programmed. By the finish I'll have 3 working keys with working remotes, well that's the plan anyway...lol

The clone cables (mini-vci) are more than adequate, the only thing you can't do is program the ecu. I didn't find any difference in speed between firmware 1.4? and 2.04.

I don't think I'd tackle going near the ECU anyway mate....have an awful fear of wrecking all round me so maybe just as well....lol

7 hours ago, TAuris said:

I didn't find any difference in speed between firmware 1.4? and 2.04.

I think that the differences are mainly support for newer vehicles & their features.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links