Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

AT151 Carina II 1.6 GL Hatchback Atomatic

Taffy 5757

:cool: Hi could anybody tell me what is the MPG figures for city ect. Also what would be the range from a full tank.  I am very interested to know this. The car has carburetor

and it would give me a better idea as to how much my running costs would be. Thanks Eric. 

Moved to the Carina club.

Honest John (google it..) is a site with good figures. If they just state Manual spec then take off 10%.

30 mpg city [manual] = 27 mpg [Auto]. Driving at 70 the difference maybe less (those with 'lock-up' boxes are same as manual).... Don't think Toyota used one here.

Have you bought one? Get some piccys up, m8.

Wedgehog has a manual + a 'spares car'... Posh sod :wink:

2sav

• Like 1

Hi m8 I have one that is in very good condition with very low millage I hope to get it very soon. When I get it I will post pictures.

• Like 1

The original spec was 58 to the gallon at 50 mph urban

• Like 1

Hi wedgehog,

The car that I will be getting very soon is a 1985 Toyota Carina 2 1.6GL  Automatic. It has only 106000 miles on the clock, the

automatic gearbox has overdrive, as soon as I get it I will post a lot of pictures. Could you tell me is the auto box a good one, also

does this car have a carburetor, also doe s it have a cat on it? I would value your info as I used to have a 1987 carola DX and it was 

a very good car. Thank you, Eric.

Yes Toyota Auto boxes are excellent, no it does not have a cat and yes it will have a carburetor, a twin choke one, the second half comes in when the throttle is more than half open, so below that you are on one carb, hence the good fuel efficiency at 50 mph, automatic choke. and lean burn engine. Also this engine does not destroy itself if the cam belt breaks. You will be surprised how powerful and nippy it is.

• Like 2

Hi wedgehog,

Thank you for the info. What do you mean by lean burn? I presume that there are no electronics on this

car? What size tyres does it take there are new ones on this car and it has nice alloys.

This is a picture of the car that I will be getting soon.

toyota carina II 1.6 GL.jpeg

Now now John :biggrin:

Lean burn engines are designed to run on a very lean mixture, which means they run hot,  This means less fuel use and less carbon build up in the engine. I took the head off mine at 90k and it was as clean as a whistle, not carbon to remove at all.
This vehicle also has an extensive fuel vapour re cycle system and the fuel system is pressurised  also designed to reduce fuel loss, after running you should hear a hiss when you open the fuel tank cap. it was very advanced for it's year.

• Like 1

*note*

If you DONT hear a hiss = likely the steel fuel neck has rotted through TADTS... :unsure:

Wedgie will 'advise' on all known rust zones (even the hidden away ones :sad: )... ask him how he knows :cool:

2sav

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Forgot to answer the question about the wheels, it should be a 165/13" wheel on this car, if whoever fitted those alloys has changed the wheel size, the speedo will be wrong.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links