Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris range refreshed for 2018 - diesels dropped(?)

FROSTYBALLS

The Auris range has been revised for early 2018.

The Active trim level has been dropped. 

Icon becomes the new entry level and includes DAB and a reversing camera.

The Design Bitone brings a two tone colour finish.

It is also claimed the engine range has been trimmed back to just the 1.2T and the 1.8 hybrid - with the 1.33 petrol, and 1.4 and 1.6 diesels being culled. This is similar to the 2017 Yaris  revisions.

https://uk.motor1.com/news/223506/2018-toyota-auris-diesel-dropped/

http://www.carsuk.net/2018-toyota-auris-drops-the-diesel-engine-altogether/

Auris UK sales for January to November 2017 totalled 13,983 - 10,313 of which were hybrids.

This leaves the Avensis, Rav4, Proace and Hilux as the only Toyotas offering a diesel option in the UK.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

It is also claimed the engine range has been trimmed back to just the 1.2T and the 1.8 hybrid - with the 1.33 petrol, and 1.4 and 1.6 diesels being culled.

Think that Devon Aygo had mentioned this on a thread.

Either Toyota are very, very confident about their 1.2T engine (which has only been in production for two years, remember) - or else they're in a tight corner and badly need to rationalise their way out of the situation. (Yeah, I do agree that selling only 13,983 cars in eleven months isn't a good place to be, since it was 20,000 plus a couple of years ago. :huh:)

But whichever way you look at it, dumping all the other engines (apart from the hybrid) is either a very bold leap, or else it's turning the company's back on a lot of people who bought those dumped engines for good reasons.

Personally, I still can't think of any other engine but the 1.6 VVT that I'd have wanted to buy for my Touring. On the one level I really can't stand automatics - and since I sometimes need to tow a trailer, the hybrid would always have been out of the question anyway. But at the other extreme, I drive down to the Mediterranean twice a year with 400 kg in the back of the car, and I am sure as hell not going to want to do those 700 mile runs with a micro-engine that delivers only 85 kw at full scream. :biggrin:

Sorry, Toyota, it looks like I don't fit your target demographic any more. I'll probably keep this car for another four years, but after that I'll need to change brands. Which will be a shame, but it wasn't my idea, it was yours........ :angry:

In fact the Auris only exceeded 20,000 annual UK sales in 2007 (21,799) and 2008 (20,808) - from Toyota GB's own sales figures.

With the third generation Auris due in 2018/19 (?), some pruning of the current range is inevitable. Wonder if the 1.5 petrol engine from the Yaris (a re-worked 1.33) will appear as the base model in the third generation Auris.

I suspect that they have only dropped the diesels for the UK market but will retain them for other European markets. It's an obvious reaction to recent UK government budget change indications & existing sales trends.

Whilst Toyota GB don't sell a tremendous amount of Auris (e.g. ~ 1/5 of Ford Focus UK sales) I suspect that the individual profit margin is high compared to what e.g. Ford make on a Focus .

5 hours ago, Countrylad said:

Either Toyota are very, very confident about their 1.2T engine (which has only been in production for two years, remember) - or else they're in a tight corner and badly need to rationalise their way out of the situation. (Yeah, I do agree that selling only 13,983 cars in eleven months isn't a good place to be, since it was 20,000 plus a couple of years ago. :huh:)

But whichever way you look at it, dumping all the other engines (apart from the hybrid) is either a very bold leap, or else it's turning the company's back on a lot of people who bought those dumped engines for good reasons.

Personally, I still can't think of any other engine but the 1.6 VVT that I'd have wanted to buy for my Touring. On the one level I really can't stand automatics - and since I sometimes need to tow a trailer, the hybrid would always have been out of the question anyway. But at the other extreme, I drive down to the Mediterranean twice a year with 400 kg in the back of the car, and I am sure as hell not going to want to do those 700 mile runs with a micro-engine that delivers only 85 kw at full scream. :biggrin:

Sorry, Toyota, it looks like I don't fit your target demographic any more. I'll probably keep this car for another four years, but after that I'll need to change brands. Which will be a shame, but it wasn't my idea, it was yours........ :angry:

I have to disagree. The 1.2 turbo seems more powerful than the 1.6. I know the bhp is less however the torque is considerably more. People seems to laugh at the 1.2 turbo without driving it. After 4k rpm it really does shift. I have driven both, the 1.6 is a lot more smooth in its power delivery, however with the torque from the turbo on the 1.2 it certainly pushes you back in the seat a bit more, seems more happy climbing hills.

Just my input after driving both. Also I know some people that tow with the 1.2 turbo large caravans and they report no issues. I must admit the engine is new so hasn't stood the test of time yet, and it is also as far as I know the first direct injection Toyota petrol engine. I have done 30k in mine with no issues. 

• Like 2

Toyota did introduce the 2GR-FSE engine in 2005, which used dual mode injection (direct and port injection). 

Re the engines being "dumped".  I think its the same with anything a manufacturer/retailer drops from its product line that an individual sees as the bees knees, there is a natural reaction thinking what on earth is going on, they dropping my favourite chocolate bar (but in this case its an engine). 

Interesting review from chrismorrow, and all I can suggest to you, countrylad, is go and have an EXTENDED test drive, not just round the block a few times but an extended one on the roads of your choice. In May this year I exchanged my Qashqai diesel for a Auris Hybrid. I had been driving diesels for the last 25 years so a bit dubious about changing. I said to the dealer selling the Hybrid I wanted an extended drive of 30-35 miles, we went on a route of about 40 miles, on the flat, up peak district hills, country roads, faster roads. By the time I finished I was thinking "whats a diesel".

On 11/12/2017 at 10:31 PM, chrismorrow said:

I have to disagree. The 1.2 turbo seems more powerful than the 1.6. I know the bhp is less however the torque is considerably more. People seems to laugh at the 1.2 turbo without driving it. After 4k rpm it really does shift. I have driven both, the 1.6 is a lot more smooth in its power delivery, however with the torque from the turbo on the 1.2 it certainly pushes you back in the seat a bit more, seems more happy climbing hills.

Just my input after driving both. Also I know some people that tow with the 1.2 turbo large caravans and they report no issues. I must admit the engine is new so hasn't stood the test of time yet, and it is also as far as I know the first direct injection Toyota petrol engine. I have done 30k in mine with no issues. 

I think that the 1.2 turbo is a good way forward for Toyota, as long as it doesn't develop any reliability issues. The torque curve is impressive. It has maximum torque (185 Nm/136 lbft) from 1500 to 4000 rpm. I have for a long time been of the opinion that the lack of low end torque in Toyota petrol engines doesn't suit the other characteristics of the cars. An added (possible) benefit of a turbo engine is that they are more easily tuned than normally aspirated engine. It is not the first direct injection petrol engine from Toyota. My 2001 Avensis D4 has a direct injection petrol engine, 1AZ-FSE.

QCXt81p.png

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links