Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Single front wiper blade.

mrpj

I've just changed my front wiper blade. The replacement is from a dealer and genuine Toyota.

I know replacement rubber is available but I have noticed a difference in the two blades. The old blade's rubber has the two steel insert strips and is easily replaced. The new blade is different in that the rubber doesn't have the steel inserts and looks to be moulded onto the blade body and therefore not replaceable. For the simple reason of not wanting to damage the new blade, I've not attemped to remove the rubber.

Is this the case and have Toyota stopped the option to replace the rubber alone rather than purchase a complete blade? If so, that's a sneaky bit of profit generating unless someone knows differently?

Ours has the stainless strips like good old-fashioned Wiper Blades, thank goodness.  Do you still have the old wiper?

I bought a couple of packs of rubber blade a year go.  It was a good economic solution as you cut off the length you want.  Two lengths did our Fiat 500 front and rear.  It had one long front and one short front.  The long front took one length, and the short front plus rear took the other length.  I still have an unopened pack.

https://www.wiperblades.co.uk/accessories/refill-28/#search

Mick.

Yes, Mick I still have the used blade. My intention is to keep that and fit a new rubber insert when necessary.

Whether I was just unlucky and the new blade is sourced from another o.e.m. supplierand it's pot luck re the stainless strips?

Thanks for the link. There is also another company, https://www.wiper-blades-refills.co.uk/6-flat-windscreen-wiper-blades   ,who supply the rubber specifically for the Yaris 28" single blade and it doesn't need cutting to size. Quite a bit more expensive though. I don't know how they compare to the price of similar from Toyota

Think there are two options for replacement Wiper Blades - Toyota Optifit, which I think are made by Trico, and the OEM Toyota branded blades. The Optifit are around 50% cheaper and may not have the replaceable rubber insert.

23 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Think there are two options for replacement wiper blades - Toyota Optifit, which I think are made by Trico, and the OEM Toyota branded blades. The Optifit are around 50% cheaper and may not have the replaceable rubber insert.

You might well have hit the nail on the head there. Possibly they sold me the Optfiit without the choice of the more expensive blade. It was £15 and pennies.

The blade is physically different too having a less substantial "body".

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links