Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Gen4 struggling is snow (compared to Gen3)

GreenJuice

Ugh! Struggled in the fresh snow in north London today. Barely managing any grip with the factory supplied Toyo Nanoenergy J61 tyres (195/65 R15). In the end I had to give up and give in. Parked up for a few hours waiting for the other traffic to help turn the snow into slush (including several Gen3 Priuses ambling past)!

Bit disappointed as the stock tyres on my previous Gen3 and Gen2 were both superior to this in light snow. However, traction control worked well and certainly helped to get me going.

Now looking to get a pair of 'get me out of trouble' Autosocks. Anyone have any thought's or opinions on this?

They're rated as a 'B' for wet grip - although these are manufacturer ratings.

I find being in ECO mode helps by making it easier to feed in power very gently, and B mode helps to control the speed by easing back the throttle rather than braking.

I'm just back from a trip in some snow, but not enough to challenge the car, especially on my Nokian winter tyres.

Had more problems with the clever bits though, the adaptive cruise control stopped working with a "clean sensor" message, and the lane keep assist and AEB put up messages they had stopped working too.  After a brief pit stop, without any intervention from me, they started working again.

• Like 1

Surprising. I used Toyo nanoenergy tyres on a Gen 2 last time it snowed. Just put the car "in gear" took my foot off the brake and let it roll as it wished. Traction seemed to be no problem until I tried to accelerate by any significant amount. B didn't appear to make the slightest difference. Just allowing the car to pull away by itself seemed to do the trick. Not sure how  I would have fared  with a hill start though.

48 minutes ago, wass said:

...B didn't appear to make the slightest difference...

B mode makes no difference while under power, only increases engine braking when the pedal is released partially or completely.

16 hours ago, PeteB said:

B mode makes no difference while under power, only increases engine braking when the pedal is released partially or completely.

I agree, however many of our number still appear to be mystified as to what B does.

4 minutes ago, wass said:

...many of our number still appear to be mystified as to what B does.

along with quite a few Toyota dealers!  :laugh:

I can feel the braking effect of "B" when going down hills, isnt that what B is for?

23 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I can feel the braking effect of "B" when going down hills, isnt that what B is for?

Technically yes, but for me it helps give extra control when it's slippery, like using the gears in a traditional manual or auto.  Not everyone is happy to do this however, but it helps me to use the brakes less until almost stopped.  That said, I'm mindful of when it might be useful to show brake lights to following vehicles (especially if they are too close when it's icy).

This is my first season of snow, and its now almost gone here near Chester, but I will keep in mind the added safety factor of using B on snowy/icy roads.

On 10/12/2017 at 4:22 PM, PeteB said:

I'm just back from a trip in some snow, but not enough to challenge the car, especially on my Nokian winter tyres.

This will be the last winter for my Michelin Alpin winter tyres and was looking at the Nokian all season tyres for next winter with a view to leaving them on the car all year. They appear to be a winter tyre you can use in the summer rather than a summer tyre you can use in the winter.  Has anyone any experience of them?

• 1 month later...

First time I've driven my Gen3 in the snow this morning, and the first time I've driven an auto (yes, I know, I know, eCVT...) in the snow too...........interesting.........

If the Gen4 is worse than the Gen3, then I feel for you!

I was left wondering why they didn't include a snow mode (could they have done within the bounds of the transmission?) and an easy way to turn off TCS (like you can on other Toyota HSD's)

You can turn off the traction control on the Gen 4 and if you use Eco mode it dulls the throttle response which may help. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links