Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Avensis diesel 2.2 D4D problem

Jeff fae Scotland

Hi guys i will try to explain the best i can as i dont know anything about diesel engines.

In the last couple of days the engine of my 2.2 diesel has been running rough.On start up i noticed it wasnt ticking over at its usual 900 revs but ticking over at the one

on the rev counter. When driving the power is there but like i said it sounds rough not smooth as it usually is.

I was chatting to the neighbour next door with the engine running for about 25mins then all of a sudden it was like a choke came off.

It slowed down and went back to its usual tick over.I drove it into the garage and waited for half an hour and started  it again, and it was ticking over back at the one again.

To me it sounds as if there is some sort of choke not coming off.

I do hope you lads can help me as at the end of this week my 3 month warrenty is up and will have to pay for repairs myself.

I count on my car to get me about as im disabled.Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

The idle revs go higher when the engine is cold and the heat is on full, presumably to help the engine warm up quicker. 

To rule this out just turn the heat down (say, half-way between hot and cold) and see if the revs drop.  On mine (2.0, 2007) the revs drop almost immediately when I do this.

56 minutes ago, Jeff fae Scotland said:

I do hope you lads can help me as at the end of this week my 3 month warrenty is up and will have to pay for repairs myself.

If you bought from a trader then you legally have 6 months come back under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

As mentioned by Andy above from a cold start the idle speed will be higher until the engine warms up. This series of engines is known to be slow to reach operating temp & particularly as  atm with cold ambient temp. High use of other items that place a load on the engine (e.g. lights, aircon, demist etc.) may also increase idle speed even if the engine has reached operating temp.  

Yeah, the D4D's high efficiency is an annoyance in winter because they take forever to get to operating temperature... As mentioned above, if the climate control is set higher or if lights/AC is on the engine wil run at a higher idle to try and make it heat up faster.

I find it also sounds more clattery/'dieselly' too when it's cold outside, at least until it warms up

Thanx for your input lads.The thing is the engine was well warmed up as i had done at least 20 miles before chatting to the neighbour.

And the gauge was sitting at normal for the water temp. Thanx again and if anybody could think of some thing else i would appreciate it...Thanx

Mine takes ages to get fully warmed up and does have high idle speed until then. It also seems to cool down really quickly with the low temperatures we have at the moment. Probably nothing to worry about, will change back when the weather gets warmer.

My 2.0 d4d also idles at a higher rpm when it's cold and frosty,don't think it's anything to worry about,just the way they are set up.