Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 2.0 D4D Fuel starvation

Blizzard95

Hello,

I have an avensis which is difficult to start. I let it heat, then turn the engine over and it goes to fire up, then all of a sudden it cuts out.

This has to be repeated four or five times before it will eventually stay running, to me it seems like a fuel issue.

Is there anything i should look at? Once running, if stopped, it can be started immediately, but if left stopped for a period of time, it is the same issue again.

Fuel filter? Gunk in the fuel system?

If the fuel (not oil) filter hasn't been changed for ages, just do that; It's pretty easy in D4D's.

Might also be worth running a tank or two of V-Power diesel or redex or bg-something-something through it to clean the fuel system and injectors if you haven't taken the car on a good hard hoon for a long time!

• Thanks 1

Changed the fuel filter today, no sign of any dirt in it. I have added dipatane fuel additive to the tank. The only issue previously noted with it, is a cloud of smoke at startup, blueish/white in colour, but whilst driving none whatsoever, so thought maybe a leaking injector or a valve stem oil seal?

On these is there an electronic lift pump, that say when the ignition is turned on, moves fuel from the tank to the filter unit?

I think that there is/was a known issue with the 2.0 & Toyota has a fix (re-designed part & ECU firmware update iirc). Hopefully Devon Aygo will be along shortly with the specifics.

• Thanks 1

If fuel filter is okay and without any contamination.

Then go to Toyota and get the SCV valve replaced to tje new type design and a software update.

Should help the car.

Sendt fra min SM-G920F med Tapatalk