Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Windscreen and headlight washer jets not working

Tee786Avensis

Hi folks,

I have a T27 Avensis 2.2 D-Cat (2010) saloon. The windscreen and headlight washers jets are not working. When I pull the stalk, the wipers work as they should but no spray of water from the jets. Normally you can hear a whirring noise when the jets spray, but I can't hear this noise also. I've also got a button in my car which is for cleaning the headlights, where once pressed, the jets hidden in the front bumper appear out and spray water on the headlights, however they dont seem to be working either. I press the button and nothing happens, they dont move out from within the bumper. It has been freezing cold at the moment with temperatures hitting minus 6 degrees where i live, so perhaps I figured the water in the pipes has frozen. If so would this prevent the whirring noise and also prevent the hidden washer jets in the bumper from working? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Yeah the water is just frozen. Mine was the same this morning. If the water is frozen within the pump as well it would making the noise. I recommend that once its defrosts, empty all the water out and replace with screen wash that antifreeze.

• Like 1

Don't try and operate more than once, if the washer fluid is frozen! The washer motor could get damaged, but hopefully the fuse will blow due to the extreme current load.

Skevy44's advice is good regarding using winter screen wash. Only use screen wash, and don't add antifreeze as this could damage the paint on the car! You be surprised what people do and don't realise the consequences. I get people topping up with water only and wonder why the washers don't work. Also the old hot kettle water over the windscreen - I once stopped a neighbour from doing that, and she did not understand or believe me until another neighbour backed me up and confirmed what I was saying.

Back on subject, when the car has fully warmed up, if the washer motors don't work check the fuses.     

• Like 1

Good advice and could I suggest to be wary of the dilution ratios given on some bottles of winter screen wash. I'd suggest buying concentrate in the current cold-snap and look for the dilution ratio to around -20 or -25. We've already had -13 in some places last night I believe.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tee786Avensis said:

I've also got a button in my car which is for cleaning the headlights, where once pressed, the jets hidden in the front bumper appear out and spray water on the headlights, however they dont seem to be working either. I press the button and nothing happens, they dont move out from within the bumper.

Interesting, my 2012 T27 had headlight washers but they were integrated into the washer stalk operations with no separate button.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links