Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T27 1.8 petrol oil

Diluk

Hi all

Apologies if this has already been mentioned in previous posts.  But just have some confusion on oil recommendations for avensis 2010 1.8.  Previous service history stated 0w20.  But this year I thought I'd get the services done myself due to costs.  

The service kit provided was for 5w30 oil which I was told this is the standard type for this vehicle. So did not question.

Is the dealer talking through his ringer or is he right?   I am from the UK so we dont expect artic conditions.  Although it does feel like this at the moment 😆. No issues with this But just thinking long term.

Thanks

Adil

Toyota's preferred oil will be 0W-20. However, under Block Exemption they cannot insist dealers use particular oils, in terms of viscosity or brand. 

Your dealer may use 5W-30, and presumably has supplied the grade they normally use/supply.

• Like 1

Thanks frostyballs.  Appreciated.   Little strange though as the service guide did state they previously used 0w20. So I guess all is not as it appears from the dealer as i do suspect they used 5w30.

Looks like dealers trying to increase profit margins as the comparison between the 2 oils is a fair bit.

Thanks.

Adil

I have changed the oil on my Avensis and it currently has Petronis 0w-20 in the engine, sourced from Eurocarparts. I also used Triple QX the previous year. Both fully synthetic.

Here are my other posts on the subject.

Each time I bought the oil, I used the available discount code. The satisfaction of doing the job is good. The valvematic engine seems to not loose any oil between changes.

• Thanks 1

OW20 is the preferred viscosity but 5W30 is acceptable.

Does it make much difference using 5w30 vs 0w20?

I know the HSD guys take a noticeable hit to mpg if 5w30 is used but not seen anyone mention it for normal VVTi engines...?

I think you're right as this does apparently affect the Mpg.   My old vvti I used 5w30. But current avensis is valvomatic.  Unsure if there is a difference. :blush:

My Mk1 D4D is rated for 10w40 but they use 5w30 in it - It made a small improvement to mpg, but the engine was a bit rattlier when warm. I found 5w40 was a good compromise.

The new one I'm getting, hopefully this weekend, is one of these new-fangled 1.33 Dual-VVTi's that supposedly uses 0w20!