Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water leak in boot

Dre89

I've recently purchased a 2007 Mk1 Toyota Auris and have discovered that I have a leak in the boot. The leak is on the passenger side of the boot and I have finally managed to locate the source of the leak. 

Water is dripping from a vent above the rear passenger light access panel. I've searched the forum and have seen a number of topics talking about a vent behind the bumper and I'm not sure if this is the same vent.

I've attached some images of the leak and would be grateful if anyone can tell me how I can go about fixing this.

Thanks.20171213_194849.thumb.jpg.fb4adde57d0a356c89367989ccb94e0c.jpg20171213_194854.thumb.jpg.09297a8028e66a54ed72dbba0a7b6150.jpg20171207_182407.thumb.jpg.d56d0ded3fa8a52bd4800f691dca4a59.jpg

No it isn't the same vent.

I would be inclined to check the tubing and connections to the rear washer in the first instance. Is the rear washer working OK? Does water come from the vent if the washer is operated?

At first the rear washer wasn't working. I'd hear the noise of the motor but no water would come out. I topped the washer fluid up and strangely it started to work even though before it wouldn't work despite there being washer fluid in the tank.

I don't think it leaks when the rear washer is operated but I will check and confirm this. The reason i think this is that i didn't use the rear washer today and I still had a leak.

If it isn't the rear washer, then it could be via the roof mounted aerial.

Its been raining heavily today and ive noticed the headliner is also wet. The only thing i can think thats letter the water in is this rubber seal that's visible when you open the boot. Just can't seem to get the rubber seal onto the plastic clip.20171214_171036.thumb.jpg.a9e4aabec13e133d4b7bce51f8134275.jpg20171214_170707.thumb.jpg.7cc9866c73bb4f6d0228d86b8c457231.jpg

• 1 month later...

Check rear lamp units (left & right) gaskets, foam like material that seizes or more like shrinks over time letting water in to boot. 

Simply take out both lamps (surely the other one will let water in also, so do both) clean thoroughly car openings, gaskets and rear lamps. As these gaskets aren't easy to find, the quick way out is to apply silicone mastic on both sides of gasket and reassemble while silicone is still not dry (so that it dries assembled). Did mine last year and all ok, no leaks.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Joining the dreaded swimming pool in the boot  topic.

When i washed the car with a hose few days ago, there was some 100+ml puddle (2007 Auris, LHD drive). 

My problem was on the right side only.  As i read the this topic before, i remove the light cluster, put a nice long bead of silicone, day later poured 2l of water around it and around 100 or more ml of it ended in the boot, just under the flap of the cover.

So, i removed the cluster, the plastic and found out there is no leak from the light cluster,  when you pour the water in the gap between light cluster and the boot, it goes down, and somehow, somewhere under the bumper, it goes around the bodywork, and leaks inside (only a bit, and when you really soak it). Now, i did notice ton of silicone applied with a brush or so, but in factory color, so i presume it was done when the car was made, and this part was, missed maybe? 

08vv98z.thumb.jpg.ec0645b8b3edad98c90e77c10b37b3b0.jpgyjEj5iC.thumb.jpg.76e11a033bcb1975722a9439f016d4c5.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I stripped the boot fully taking off all the trim and monitored the leak over winter.

I hade several areas which were letting in water.

The passenger side rear light was filling up with water and leaking into the boot. Also, there was gap between the light unit and the boot which was letting water in. 

Both vents were also letting water in. As many have done I used silicone to seal all the areas and I havent had any water coming in since.

I dont know what was causing the headliner to get wet but it hasnt happened since i put the seal back on. I even washed the car just to make sure there were no further leaks.

20180114_153403.jpg

20180114_160326.jpg

20180115_170304.jpg

20180117_212326.jpg

20180402_172805.jpg

Mine is also 2007, and make in UK, but i noticed that yours has much less silicone applied. I do have same yellow beads like in yours, but there's also a bunch of silicone applied with a brush, and painted in factory color, which is not present in yours. 

I hope it holds for you.

• 3 years later...

Hi. I had the same issue with a second hand 2008 Auris. Water leaking from the vents on the right. Had to strip away all the interior tapestry to get there, exactly as many of you shared in pics. I applied some strong adhesive called Sikaflex (kinda like black silicone) and also sprayed on top of it a layer of tar paint to make it more solid. Still the water found its way in the trunk. Did any of you find a solution for it? 

2 hours ago, damoclesword8 said:

Hi. I had the same issue with a second hand 2008 Auris. Water leaking from the vents on the right. Had to strip away all the interior tapestry to get there, exactly as many of you shared in pics. I applied some strong adhesive called Sikaflex (kinda like black silicone) and also sprayed on top of it a layer of tar paint to make it more solid. Still the water found its way in the trunk. Did any of you find a solution for it? 

Rear lights clusters most common for the water leak in boot. Have you fix them at all? If not you will need to take them out of the car, clean thoroughly the bodywork where they stay and the clusters themselves, then use a new seals or apply some silicone or other type of from in place seal gasket put back all together. Done that on few Auris and never leaks afterwards. 
Good luck 🤞 

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Rear lights clusters most common for the water leak in boot. Have you fix them at all? If not you will need to take them out of the car, clean thoroughly the bodywork where they stay and the clusters themselves, then use a new seals or apply some silicone or other type of from in place seal gasket put back all together. Done that on few Auris and never leaks afterwards. 
Good luck 🤞 

Thanks! Actually I went to my local car repair, they told me they applied some new silicone around the rear lights and that this should do the trick. Well, unfortunately it didn't. Should i try removing them myself to check, you think? Is it doable by a non-expert? 🙂

1 hour ago, damoclesword8 said:

Thanks! Actually I went to my local car repair, they told me they applied some new silicone around the rear lights and that this should do the trick. Well, unfortunately it didn't. Should i try removing them myself to check, you think? Is it doable by a non-expert? 🙂

Yes, they needs to be removed from the car and thoroughly clean the lights and the body panels, then new gaskets installed or use the old one but apply silicone on them to seal properly, kind of making them thicker. Better not seal outside the gap between the lights and body panels since the design of the lights is to let water drain through them and when the debris and dirt is accumulated plus the seals are old the water finds it’s way onto the boot. 👍

• Like 1

I did the same as above, but after heavy storm, or driving in rain for longer tend to get some water in the boot anyway, and left unchecked for weeks, it leads to rust.

So this is what i did, your boot has  2 rubber gaskets at the bottom, take them out, and drill a hole in the rubber, then insert some plastic thing to hold it open.

In my case i used this wall anchor, cut the middle out, and pushed it through the rubber to hold open.

Make sure to drill holes at slight angle, so that the plugs are faced towards the back of the car, not to let any moisture in while driving.

It's been more than a year, checked the boot and took the tire out few times, been dry every time i checked.

image.png.aa498ee2d7ccaa6886c2edd062408460.png

3 minutes ago, furtula said:

I did the same as above, but after heavy storm, or driving in rain for longer tend to get some water in the boot anyway, and left unchecked for weeks, it leads to rust.

So this is what i did, your boot has  2 rubber gaskets at the bottom, take them out, and drill a hole in the rubber, then insert some plastic thing to hold it open.

In my case i used this wall anchor, cut the middle out, and pushed it through the rubber to hold open.

Make sure to drill holes at slight angle, so that the plugs are faced towards the back of the car, not to let any moisture in while driving.

It's been more than a year, checked the boot and took the tire out few times, been dry every time i checked.

image.png.aa498ee2d7ccaa6886c2edd062408460.png

Hmmm I see. But technically you still let the water in from the vents, you don't prevent it. Then you just provide it an easier way out of the boot. I'd prefer if it didn't come inside from the first place.

Not really true. I did my best to stop the water coming in, but as most people report, it still finds its way in eventually.

Water mostly comes through the back, around the light clusters, not from vents.

I even took the spare wheel out, the carpets, etc, someone poured water with a house over the car, while i watched for places it enters, and fixed them.

But still, after that i did find some water, not much, more like condensation than actual water, but still enough to cause rust.

That is why i also made holes in plugs, so that if any water eventually comes in, can go out, and since then, no issues.

Point is, you may think you fixed it, but few months later, you will check it, and find bunch of condensation, rust on spare wheel, etc, putting 2 small holes cant hurt, but it works, and once you take the plugs out, the holes close themselves, since plugs are made from rubber.

• Thanks 1