Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2005 D4D T25 1CD-FTV - Clutch issue

Artiom

Hi all,

This post is just to share the experience I had with a replacement clutch in my Toyota Avensis 2005.

TL,DR: If you hear a slight "ding" when releasing the clutch - run quickly to the garage to fix it!

Now, the long read.

It all started in this post 1.5 ago - the clutch became worn and was replaced. The DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) was inspected and stated as okay - so it was not replaced. The mechanic was not happy with the overall process as it takes time, but it's his job in the end. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that when I depress the clutch I can head a slight "ding" somewhere under the bonnet where the gearbox is. My first thought was that it may be the flywheel giving up and I would need to change it soon.At first it was barely noticeable and a few days later it became stronger - so in the evening when driving on M32 out from Bristol, it happened - the engine lost the coupling with the gearbox, would not drive and would not react to gear changes. We stopped it as close as possible to road margin. The car had to be towed to the garage.

A couple of days later, my mechanic disassembled it and found out that the new clutch he replaced was broken - see attached pictures below - basically every second rivet holding the friction disc was ripped off and the remaining just broke the mounting holes - it is them wiggling back and forth caused the noise I was hearing. Now, the broken rivets got in the DMF and the mechanic advised to replace it as well - as any loose metal parts can break the new clutch, so in order to save money I decided to replace it with a SMF (Single Mass Flywheel). Also the broken clutch was still on the warranty (2 years) - so the supplier agreed to compensate its price and a part of the labour costs.

The whole adventure costed me 320 gbp for the repairs + 70 for the rescue service - which, I must say, was way less expensive that I expected.

As for SMF conversion, the car drives fine - the only thing that changed is the bite point of the clutch is a bit higher and I can feel the engine vibrations on the clutch pedal. Anyway, I've got lifetime warranty of the new clutch and SMF. The old clutch brand was Valeo and the mechanic said it must have been a manufacturing defect. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of the new clutch, but it has a different structure - much more metal in the central disk and overall feels sturdier.

IMG_20171211_164134.jpg

IMG_20171211_164142.jpg

IMG_20171211_164157.jpg

• Confused 1

Where did you buy the clutch from that broke? Also how well do you know your mechanic? Maybe the dmf broke with the new clutch being installed as it is advised to replace both.

9 minutes ago, frankie406 said:

Where did you buy the clutch from that broke? Also how well do you know your mechanic? Maybe the dmf broke with the new clutch being installed as it is advised to replace both.

I don't know the store - as all parts are acquired by my mechanic - he only mentioned its brand "Valeo". The DMF may have been ok - but I don't want to invest yet another lump sum in its repairs, so I went for SMF conversion.

I know the mechanic well - he is always honest and will try to save my money whenever it is possible and safe to do so.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this won't help you but I had the DMF replaced at the same time as the clutch recently. All quality LUK parts with the whole lot coming in at £450 for the complete clutch and flywheel. The local garage charged £300 cash to fit it so was a cheap fix. After reading the mixed reviews following an SMF replacement, I went against that idea.

For me I wouldn't change just the clutch unless I was not intending on keeping the car for a while. It is just not worth the potential aggravation. 

For the records I am having continuing problems with the Avensis and it has not been the 'reliable' motor I was expecting not by a long chalk. It is a shame because it isn't that bad a motor.

Postings imminently.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links