Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

EGR help

Scottishgorilla

Hi guys 

at my wits end replaced the erg valve on my yaris SR yet the engine management and the error P0487 still appear 

Presume it is the EGR valve - topic title edited.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0487

"If the P0487 code does return, we will need to test the EGR throttle control valve and its associated circuits. Typically, there are either 3 or 4 wires at the EGR throttle control valve. Disconnect the harness going to the EGR throttle control valve. With a Digital Volt Ohm Meter (DVOM), test the EGR throttle control valve signal circuit (Red lead to the valve’s signal circuit, black lead to a good ground). If there is no 5 volts to the valve, or if you see 12 volts at the valve, repair the wiring from the PCM to the valve, or possibly a bad PCM.

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0487
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

There is a Technical service bulletin from Toyota for P0487 on your NLP90 Yaris:

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON

MIL is on and DTC P0487 (exhaust gas recirculation throttle position control circuit) is stored in the engine ECU. There is no influence on driveability.

PRODUCTION CHANGE

The software of the engine ECU has been updated.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

Replace the engine ECU.

Engine ECU's are locked to the car they have fitted to so to use a ECU from a scrap car you will need the ECU, keys & key barrels ( ignition minimum ) and they need to come from a NLP90 Yaris built after June 2008 to ensure you have a modified type ECU, also the ECU part number must match your original one OR you can buy a new ECU 

• Thanks 1

>> Replace the engine ECU.

Good grief, how much would a main dealer charge for that and how much is the car worth?

So my Yaris is a 1.4 d4d SR... would the service bulletin be like a firmware upgrade ?

18 hours ago, Scottishgorilla said:

So my Yaris is a 1.4 d4d SR... would the service bulletin be like a firmware upgrade ?

No unfortunately not the ECU in your car cannot be re-flashed so needs replacing with a modified ECU

• Thanks 1

Where can you get these ? 

Where can you get the ecu model number ?

14 minutes ago, Scottishgorilla said:

Where can you get these ? 

Where can you get the ecu model number ?

Contact Parts King with your reg.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links