Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Please say l can drive my semi auto as an automatic, ALWAYS!!

Nellie2

At last, picking my new, first, Aygo (VVT - x-press  TSS 5 door x- nav. X-shift) ) up next week. Its called automatic but needless to say it can be used as a manual drive. I am only use to a fully automatic and would hope that l can do the same in this car. Can other users please let me know if they use their ‘semi’ automatic, as purely as you would drive an automatic. I don’t intend to go up mountains!!!    

All semi automatic Toyota Vehicles can be driven in pure auto mode 100% of the time so don’t worry , there is a position on the gear lever for manual usage but you need never use it .....your choice 👍🏻

Thanks for that, was just starting to think, it was going to be a bad first Toyota buy!! Now l can start to be excited!!:balloon:

Enjoy your new car 🚘 

Let us know what you think of the X-shift please?

Will do, so many different models, went for that one, so it will be interesting to see just what l’ve purchased!!:wub: will keep you all updated!!

the only thing you should never do in the x-shift is to leave it in drive at traffic lights or when stopped for a while

as you will burn out the clutch, this isn't covered under warranty, just place the car in neutral.

when we had our MMT aygo we found when going into multi storey carparks we had to use the manual mode

as the car would change gear and would struggle to go up the levels.

19 hours ago, eygo said:

the only thing you should never do in the x-shift is to leave it in drive at traffic lights or when stopped for a while

as you will burn out the clutch, this isn't covered under warranty, just place the car in neutral.

when we had our MMT aygo we found when going into multi storey carparks we had to use the manual mode

I am confused here so please help me. We have been using our Aygo MMT for quite a few years and have never shifted the gear to neutral at traffic lights or while waiting for a short time for any other cause and it never has given us problems. My reasoning is that if you have your feet pressed down on the brake , the clutch plates are also disengaged, therefore no clutch wear. When you release the brake the clutch engages, the car moves forward (since it has been left in gear all the time). Have I got that wrong all that time?

To Nellie2,

Even if it is so called automatic, it does not behave as a conventional automatic. There is going to be hesitation at gear selection and there is no parking function. When you leave your car in neutral, do not forget to pull up the hand brake.

• Thanks 1

the MMT is a manual gearbox that has a standard clutch & just like in a manual if you keep the clutch pressed whilst stopped at traffic lights the clutch is in effect slipping and being worn this is the same in the MMT as the gearbox and clutch is the same

the only difference is the MMT has a robotic gear change that changes gear for you so by staying in drive with your foot on the brake is the same as having your foot on the clutch pedal whilst stopped hence wear to the clutch plate.

I've never slipped into neutral unless I wanted to give my feet a break and I was stopped for ages like on road works traffic lights. Normal lights I just keep my foot on the brake pedal. I've had 3 MMTs now in total and never had a problem.

• Thanks 1

On 16/12/2017 at 11:54 AM, eygo said:

Thanks for that advice, looks like l will have to use it at those times, will make sure they are limited!! Helpful advice thanks

7 hours ago, rajivrattna said:

I am confused here so please help me. We have been using our Aygo MMT for quite a few years and have never shifted the gear to neutral at traffic lights or while waiting for a short time for any other cause and it never has given us problems. My reasoning is that if you have your feet pressed down on the brake , the clutch plates are also disengaged, therefore no clutch wear. When you release the brake the clutch engages, the car moves forward (since it has been left in gear all the time). Have I got that wrong all that time?

Looks like its an interesting discussion, would it depend if on an incline or wouldnt that make any difference??

1 hour ago, Wiz201 said:

I've never slipped into neutral unless I wanted to give my feet a break and I was stopped for ages like on road works traffic lights. Normal lights I just keep my foot on the brake pedal. I've had 3 MMTs now in total and never had a problem.

Thanks, thats helpful, can see you have a similar car to the one lm getting. Will let you all know how lm getting on within the next couple of weeks!!  Keen to get it but nervous, soemthing new to get use too eh?  

7 hours ago, rajivrattna said:

To Nellie2,

Even if it is so called automatic, it does not behave as a conventional automatic. There is going to be hesitation at gear selection and there is no parking function. When you leave your car in neutral, do not forget to pull up the hand brake.

Thanks, thats seomthing l will certainly remember!! Handy, as may of come back to find it somewhere other than where l parked it!🤔🤔

I used to think the clutch was slipping after reading forums but the car would sometimes struggle to go back into E from neutral which can be unsettling at traffic lights.

So try this little experiment. Park on a uphill section in E and slowly put the handbrake on till the handbrake light comes on and the car will roll backwards. Move the lever down marginally and the car will creep forward. Therefore the clutch is totally disengaged when the handbrake or footbrake is pressed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that hint, gosh, you all are so helpful. Know l will be coming back to look at hints that you have all written. All usefu pointers welcome!!

Honestly just stick her in E and apart from being able to count the gears she goes up in, you'll be able to drive her like an automatic.

• Thanks 1

We’ve got one of these and its a cracking car.

I used to have a manual mk1 but our auto mk2 is just better in every way. Almost certainly would buy an auto mk3 in the future (assuming the next aygo isnt electric).

• Thanks 1

Thanks Lee and Isobel, feel better to know that you love your Aygo and that your advice is stick to E. Was starting to get concerned that l was going to have to use manual around town etc.

Get mine this week, so watch this space!!! Thanks folks, nice to have so many kind owners share their advice .👍👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links