Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid- Big battery and Little battery

Catlover

10 hours ago, Mike J. said:

The Toyota Hybrid system consists of 2 electric motor/generators and one petrol engine. They are joined together via an epicyclic gearbox (sun, planet, ring.). The sun is joined to the smaller electric motor, the petrol engine to the planet gears and the ring gear to the main electric motor which is directly joined to the wheels via a diff. The main electric motor is also a generator when regenerative braking occurs. The smaller electric motor is the starter motor for the petrol engine, it also is a generator when the petrol engine runs. The electric motors only charge up the traction battery. The 12V battery is charged from the traction battery via a high voltage to 12V dc/dc converter. There is also a high voltage to something like 100V for the air conditioning electric pump. Other electric motors are for brake pressure (not a 'normal' servo as the petrol engine can be off!), the water pump (move engine heat to cabin when motor is off) and the electric steering assistance. Note the complete lack of belts and pulleys! All kept working together via a lot of software!

Lots of good stuff here WeberAuto youtube channel.

Thank you Mike! You’ve done the leg work for me.

That website has clarified everything now with the description MG1 & MG2.

I can now sleep peacefully at night knowing that Toyota has everything under control.

Can’t say the same about your carbs & distributors (points & condensers ugh!) - in my opinion they belong in museums along magnetos and carbide lamps. Good hobby though!

Regards, Colin

15 minutes ago, ColinCK said:

..... Can’t say the same about your carbs & distributors (points & condensers ugh!) ......

Actually, I have uprated the ignition to be ECU controlled - it has a timing map, etc. The ignition also has a fall back process. If the ECU fails, I re-enable the old electronic ignition (the distributor is still in situ ad I just swop the cap and leads!). If WW3 occurs and all hi-tech electronics are destroyed via an EMP, I can fall back to points and condenser! :cool:

2 hours ago, Mike J. said:

Actually, I have uprated the ignition to be ECU controlled - it has a timing map, etc. The ignition also has a fall back process. If the ECU fails, I re-enable the old electronic ignition (the distributor is still in situ ad I just swop the cap and leads!). If WW3 occurs and all hi-tech electronics are destroyed via an EMP, I can fall back to points and condenser! :cool:

Wise decision upgrading to mapped ignition Mike! Injection next upgrade?

44 minutes ago, ColinCK said:

Wise decision upgrading to mapped ignition Mike! Injection next upgrade?

I have most of the bits but, unlike the ignition, there is no easy fall back position.

• 1 month later...

Last night I went to go out in my Prius and the small Battery had run out of sufficient power to get the car ready to start. I had to go out in the wifes Auris hybrid.  I had, during the day, been transferring cd's to my Prius car hard drive (in the sat nav unit) and the electrics shut down to save the Battery.

This morning I used for the first time the Battery jump start I bought off Amazon and literally within seconds of connecting the unit to the small 12v battery I could start the car and take it for a few miles spin.  £30 investment saved me calling out Start Rescue.  As the Auris hybrid is the same electrics as the Prius I posted on here as well as the Prius forum.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suaoki-Starter-Booster-Intelligent-Flashlight/dp/B071JNQM3B/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1517603137&sr=8-3&keywords=lithium+battery+car+charger+suaoki&tag=autoclubinte-21

You don't actually need much power to get a HSD running - It's possible to string together 12v worth of AA batteries and that'll give the ECU enough power to flip the traction Battery relay which then does all the heavy work, including recharging the 12v Battery!

It's best to leave the car 'running' when doing anything in it rather than using the ACC mode - The ICE won't fire up unless the traction Battery is low, and the traction battery will keep the 12v battery topped up and power everything. In any other mode the weedy little 12v battery has to do all the work and it really isn't up to it!

• Like 1

Cyker, I actually considered building a Battery pack consisting of AA batteries and permanently wiring it in via a switch with a safety cover, like a firing button on an aircraft but I thought of warranty & insurance (especially fire).

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links