Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front lights

Molog75

Hi,

i have a 15 Aygo and the headlights range is rubbish. In fact dangerous. I drive on unlit country lanes and the range is about 5 metres, which is dangerous.

i have replaced the bulbs with Toyota brighter bulbs from the dealer costing £50. Which has made no difference.

As the lights themselves are projector or whatever the term is changing the bulbs will and has made no difference.

so I am looking to upgrade the whole lighting cluster, so anyone know where I can get some “normal” ones from..

Aygo front lights are dangerous. I drive on unlit country roads and the range of the bulbs is very dangerous, less than 5 metres.

i have replaced them with super douper bulbs that Toyota assured me would be fab. 

Well they are not. They are just the same.

so..... where Can I buy a new front light unit from that doesn’t have the rubbish projector lamps?

Might be a silly question but have you got the level switch set to 0 as any other setting will drop the level and create a short light throw with only a driver in the car.

Yep, on zero. I find it really dangerous to drive. I got the car in April so didn’t really do dark commuting till now. 

There is no point in having two topics on the same subject - so both have been merged and moved to the Aygo club.

As regards replacing the light clusters, there won't be any alternatives that will fit the Aygo.

So how do a get my lights to a safe brightness and distance?

any ideas greatly received x

There are adjusters on the back of the headlights. Usually 2 bolts or Allen key holes, one adjusts the height, the other adjusts left/right. Don’t adjust too far. Park the car a couple/few feet away from a wall, chalk mark the existing beam, then adjust slightly higher - like maybe half an inch and try it. Bear in mind it needs to be within a certain tolerance to pass an mot and not to blind oncoming cars. 

looks like you have a pair of badly aimed and or levelled head light. Go to a decent garage that has a head light aligning box with mirrors and pay to get it done properly. It is a once in a long time check and works wonders. The lights are not really that bad if aimed properly. Use a good quality Philips or Osram bulb (Toyota original is not that bad). If you want to do it your self in a so so manner, check out aiming head light in google search and do it properly by keeping the car at a proper distance from the wall and marking the centre point of the light on wall and then checking the beam on the wall. Here is a site that explains it all and use the EEC pattern (not US pattern).

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

25 minutes ago, rajivrattna said:

Use a good quality Philips or Osram bulb (Toyota original is not that bad).

The OE HIR2 bulbs are made by Philips.

22 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The OE HIR2 bulbs are made by Philips.

Agreed. I think the HIR2 were made by Toshiba previously but the new ones are by Philips. I do not know if they are real HIR technique or a sort of hybrid HIR technique but are supposed to be as bright (if not more than Toshiba ones). Found a link here on the Philips made HIR2. Worth while. I can only speculate that buying from Philips would have been a tad cheaper.

http://store.candlepower.com/ph3rdge90h.html

I drive on dark country road to dog training and have never found this to be a problem with my mk2 aygo, in fact on a clear night I just use dipped beams.

11 minutes ago, rajivrattna said:

Agreed. I think the HIR2 were made by Toshiba previously but the new ones are by Philips.

Philips have been making HIR2 bulbs for a number of years, and, after Toshiba withdrew their bulb from manufacture, were the only manufacturer for a while. In 2014, Osram also began producing HIR2 bulbs. MTEC are another mainstream manufacturer of this fitment.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links