Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

AT151 Carina II 1.6 GL Hatchback Atomatic

Taffy 5757

Good evening to you all my friends. Could you please tell me where I should keep an eye out

for that dreaded rust bug on the 1985 Carina  2 1.6 GL Hatchback Automatic. If you have pictures 

it would also help me.

Thank you, Eric.

There are quite a few places unfortunately, all four wheel arches can rust,  because water and leaves etc flow down the screen and under the front wings, and out at the bottom of the front wings, it gets clogged and can rot holes in the body behind the wings.
Open the back hatch and open the little doors on the right and left in the plastic sides, and get a torch in there and look around, they can fill with water if there are leaks and the bottom can rust, this is the bottom of the rear wings, which you can't see from outside because of the rear bumper.

Bottoms of the doors can go. inside rear wheel arches can go, they are not lined like the front, well one has a bit of a liner but it's to protect the fuel filler pipe. and as John says, the actual fuel filler pipe can rot because of it's exposed position.

These are most of all the important places this model can rust, but for you to have all of them it would be likely that you would have to have a car that was in use every day and kept outside all it's life as mine was. Yours looks well cared for and like it's been garaged.

These pics show some bits that rust

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152643103@N07/

• Like 1

Thank you Bob mine looks like it is a gem and the mileage is only 106000 miles. :cool:

• Like 1

Have you actually got it yet Taff? we need photo's of all angles so we can drool , don't forget under the bonnet 

• Like 2

I will have it soon, as soon as I do I will post pictures m8.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links