Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Back to the t25

thom_jones

Hi all, I swapped my 56 plate avensis 1.8 t3x for a 12 plate insignia...what a disappointment the Vauxhall has been. The Toyota has it licked; and Im So glad do I didn’t sell I her! As of tomorrow the Toyota is back on 1,000 a week duty while I fall out with the warranty company over the **** box Vauxhall...basically the whole four. Injection system has failed on the Vauxhall, it’s ruined! Got my eye on a celica so hope the warranty company pay out and I can get that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is a very surprising news about the Insignia, Thom. The petrol engine is less complicated than the diesel, so less to go wrong - that is changing with the latest small capacity turbo , direct injection, petrol engines! How many miles 
Don't name the warranty company (for ongoing legal reasons), but I hope they do what you paid them for.
I won't ask much about the Insignia because your previous posts - 

How much miles has the Insignia done - both since you had it and total? I always worry how the car was driven and cared for by previous owners, even I had to have my clutch changed on my Avensis, but know that it will be fine and less stressed by me. 

One minor thing Thom, why did you start a new account? Did you forget the password to your old one, like I did, or starting afresh?

3 hours ago, Konrad C said:

That is a very surprising news about the Insignia, Thom. The petrol engine is less complicated than the diesel, so less to go wrong

from what I read it is a diesel Insignia that he had bought? Hence all the complicated gubbins to go wrong ...

It's funny in a way; diesels used to be simpler and more robust than petrols (Massively overbuilt engine block, no high voltage electrics to go wrong etc.) but then as they were refined and had emissions controls bolted onto them they're now far more complicated and more problematic than petrols, but now the pendulum is swinging the other way and all the crap that they stuck on diesels that made them less reliable is now being added to petrols!! What a world!

Hopefully they won't figure out a way to do that to electric motors too!!!

(My milestone for a leccy car is something the size of an Aygo or Mk1 Yaris (i.e. something ~3.5m long) that can do 300 Boy Racer miles; Figured 5-10 years as all electric cars out right now are either huge or no range, but, I was just looking at the new Leaf and maybe we might be getting there sooner than I thought!)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cyker said:

It's funny in a way; diesels used to be simpler and more robust than petrols (Massively overbuilt engine block, no high voltage electrics to go wrong etc.) but then as they were refined and had emissions controls bolted onto them they're now far more complicated and more problematic than petrols, but now the pendulum is swinging the other way and all the crap that they stuck on diesels that made them less reliable is now being added to petrols!! What a world!

Hopefully they won't figure out a way to do that to electric motors too!!!

(My milestone for a leccy car is something the size of an Aygo or Mk1 Yaris (i.e. something ~3.5m long) that can do 300 Boy Racer miles; Figured 5-10 years as all electric cars out right now are either huge or no range, but, I was just looking at the new Leaf and maybe we might be getting there sooner than I thought!)

Cyker, you said it better than me. The diesel engine is being ruined by the emission ancillaries and other complicated bit, and is not suitable to meet the driving conditions. The items that suffer are the turbo, direct injection, EGR, DPF and DMF. These items are already on petrol engines or may be in the future. My valvematic has none of these, but the 1.2T has some of the features - turbo, direct injection, and EGR. Read the technical specs here - http://toyota-club.net/files/faq/13-01-01_faq_nr-engine_eng.htm    

I am interested in hybrids and EVs. EV tech is moving fast with range climbing quickly compared to ICE cars over the last 100 years. All the complicated and troublesome ancillaries do not exist on EVs. Only hope Toyota don't get left behind following the hydrogen cell fuel route. It looks too complicated.

• Like 1

That's vauxhall for you!! 

Yeah forgot my old login and just wanted to update you all. The Vauxhall has been a massive disappointment; it never felt as well built o spacious as the Toyota; it wasn’t much better on fuel despite being the eco diesel model , the stereo was poor compared to the Toyota and although the seats were better (you sit lower,more support) I preferred the Toyota and despite it being more than twice the Vauxhall’s age I’m actually happy to be back in it. I may buy a second Avensis but do have my eye on a T5 Volvo S40...FE56FKA won’t be going anywhere soon! Lesson learned ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had the insignia for 1 week.nice looking car but thats as far as it went.dealer did the gearbox repair as asked to before me buying it tho after their mechanical engineers (hahaha)

Put the gearbox back in!! the thing pee'd the gearbox fluid back out over a week of ownership though to be fair the dealers said it only lost less than 0.5 of a litre (hahaha again) there was pools of it in my driveway and where I parked the car daily.the 2006 T25 d4d was miles better and always will be than any vauxhall. You and I both got a lucky escape by not selling the T25's. The vauxhall gearboxes are made of butter!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a side note, with the takeover of Vauxhall/Opel by PSA, there has been a change in focus from selling mainly to fleets to selling for profit. Even in the few months since the takeover, in the UK Vauxhall have dropped back in the sales league, and have been overtaken as the UK's no.2 selling car manufacturer, by VAG. 

In the fairly near future all Vauxhall/Opel cars will be PSA based, and PSA are looking to export Vauxhall/Opels outside of Europe (under GM they were limited to Europe only).

I remember a youtube video made by a person I have chosen to forget. This person worked in a garage or car hire company, but i don't know what capacity. His reviews were poor in my opinion, and all he cared about was the cars performance. He reviewed the Insignia and thought it was great. He reviewed the T27 Avensis and criticised it. Basically he gave the Insignia a better review. Both cars were diesels. He only interested in the driving dynamics and not the long term reliability. He generally likes Mercedes and BMWs.
On another note, Insignia engines need cambelt and waterpump changes at some point. Toyota AD engines only need regular oil and filter changes to help protect the chain.
The only thing (to me) that lets the current Avensis, is the lack of hatchback version. That is why I have the Tourer.  

When I bought my T25 Avensis TR 2.2 D4D  (also my first Toyota) I was offered a better deal on a brand new run out Vectra Elite than on the ex-Toyota management Avensis TR & I still bought the Avensis! Yes, the Vectra drove better & higher spec.  but the cabin was like a coal cellar & I couldn't imagine spending hours at a time in it.

Comes time to buy first T27 (diesel)  looked at the then fairly new Insignia. Again Vx drove better but asking around & speaking to people again put me off - in particular one chap who had one only a few weeks old & already had a litany of issues (mostly electrical) & was trying to reject it.

Time to buy second T27 (going back to petrol due to lower mileage & intention to keep the car 7 years plus) Vx & most others now only offering turbo petrols in the UK so more complicated than the Avensis' normally aspirated 1.8 & therefore possibly more likely to go wrong & cost more to fix. If you are a fleet & most likely will replace the car in-warranty not an issue but as a private buyer planning for the long term it is a concern.

There are some things about the Avensis where I think that they could have done better & some have even gone backwards imo from generation to generation but there are others like a genuinely flat floor when rear seats folded (surprisingly few cars now offer this, most either have a ridge for the hinge or the rear seat backs still sit at a slight angle) & also the no transmission tunnel in the rear seats that are pros for me (but may not concern others).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links