Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Jump starters

VinceW

HI,

I was thinking of buying a small style Lithium ion jump starter pack to keep for emergencies (e.g. the DBPower 600) similar to the ones I have seen breakdown crews use when I had a flat Battery. Does anyone have experience of these and know whether they are ok to use on a Prius?

Thanks in advance

Vincent

Hi
To be honest and save your money, since your only powering the dashboard/ computers. You only need a cheap one. Any reason for needing one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your answer.  I had to call the breakdown people twice when my car wouldn’t power up ( think I left accessories on or something as the battery itself was fine after a short recharge / boost)- they  just ‘jump started’ it with one of those and I thought it would save me time sitting around waiting for them to turn up if I had my own!. I’m not exactly technically minded so assume the system would just draw the power it needs from one of these rather than ‘push’ too much power through it.

I think I saw a cheaper one in Halfords or the RAC site so might go for that instead. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to damage the Prius electronics by using one.

Thanks again.

One other thing that can cause you a discharged Battery, a cheap obd dongle that doesn't go into low power operation.

That is how I had a flat Battery, l used a jump starter to get going.

Mine was just a cheap one, originally bought to power up a motorised telescope.

I have one, its case is small enough to live in the seat pocket on the back of the driver's seat.  It's discussed here:

It wasn't cheap, but also has a light (which can run continuously for several days if the Battery has a good charge) and two USB sockets that will charge a phone or iPad amongst other things.

When I had Gen 1 Prius I had an older technology gel jump starter, which was quite big and heavy so lived in the boot.  That wasn't a problem on the Gen 1 Prius, as the boot was opened with either the key or a lever next to the driver's seat.

On Gen 2 Prius onwards, and most other Toyota Hybrids, a flat Battery brings other issues like the electronic boot release won't work, neither will the central locking, so if the car is deadlocked, only the driver's door and bonnet can be opened (hence the jump start points under the bonnet).  This is why it's handy to keep the jump starter within reach of the driver's door.

Thanks  - that’s great to hear! Will definitely keep it inside the car rather than the boot!

After having to get the AA out twice due to flat 12v Battery (car not used for weeks while in hospital) I bought a cheap one from Amazon. No need for lots of power, just need to wake computer up. Since buying the jump start I have not needed it for my car but have used it once to start friend's diesel Qashqai 

Thank you - will definitely have a look . And thanks to everyone that has replied - its been very helpful.

• 1 month later...

This got me started a few times until I replaced the 12v Battery (under warranty) ..... used the jump terminal in the fuse box in my Auris Hybrid. From memory paid around £30.

Suaoki T10 Car Jump Starter 400A Peak Current with Jump Leads as 12000mAh Battery Pack with Dual USB Port and LED Flashlight:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072FVVK1S/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

I recall this subject coming up on the Lexus CT 200 forum and one individual thought it odd to carry around a booster Battery when leaving the car unattended for longish periods such as leaving it at the airport for 2 weeks in the winter months. Much preferring to rely on the reliability of his car against the elements and taking the option of waiting for hours in the cold isolation of the long stay car park for the recovery crew to arrive with a jumper Battery.

I concluded that he was either being a pompous *****, professing ignorance,  had never owned a car for long enough for it to need a new Battery,  has fastidiously monitored/maintained his battery condition on a weekly basis so as never to have encountered the very slow draining of the battery or had never left his car for longer than a day.

Either way, I prefer not to have to wait for the breakdown crew. Bring on the auxiliary battery to boot up the computer!(which tells the engine to start on its traction battery).

Also, because the Hybrids tend to have low capacity 12V batteries, it's easier to flatten them by leaving something on, not shutting the boot properly, sitting too long with accessory mode on etc.

By comparison, a Volvo I had some 20 years ago would happily have the headlights on for hours without any noticeable loss of starting capability.

15 hours ago, PeteB said:

Also, because the Hybrids tend to have low capacity 12V batteries, it's easier to flatten them by leaving something on, not shutting the boot properly, sitting too long with accessory mode on etc.

By comparison, a Volvo I had some 20 years ago would happily have the headlights on for hours without any noticeable loss of starting capability.

That must have changed when Volvo became a FoMoCo product, I managed to flatten my 1 year old 2008 S60's Battery in less than 18hrs by leaving sidelights on.

1 hour ago, 16_Auris_HSD said:

That must have changed when Volvo became a FoMoCo product...

somehow, that doesn't surprise me!

Volvo are now owned by Geery - a Chinese company who also own LTI (London Taxis International).

On 1/28/2018 at 4:56 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Volvo are now owned by Geery - a Chinese company who also own LTI (London Taxis International).

Speaks volumes about the modern Volvos. I couldn't understand why the quality continued to fall. ( am ex volvo driver) Your comment carries an explanation which fits in with my perception of their decline.

Tbh I think that Volvos are getting better under the Chinese (who bought them in 2010) as they have invested more. With the production lifespan of a car model being ~7 years plus a couple years before that for design & engineering we aren't yet even at the point where there are no products inherited from their previous owners reign included in the current production portfolio.

The G4 Prius has a 45 ah Battery under the bonnet (now) that doesn’t look that wimpish.

on the other hand, as India beckons for 5 weeks, to be on the safe side, I am now connecting up a Cnet Smart Battery charge/conditioner as I have a forecourt driveway

It's certainly better than the 35 ah on previous models, but not that generous.

Mine let me down quite a few times (lucky I've got the jump started in the seat-back pocket) until it was replaced under warranty a few months ago.

After I left my Auris hybrid on the drive for about 20 days recovering from an operation and having to get Start Rescue out to jump start the car I purchased this off Amazon, not used it yet for the purpose I got it, but its muti purpose, you get the attachments, so its a light, and charges my mobile. Looks well built, but its the using of thats important....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suaoki-Starter-Booster-Intelligent-Flashlight/dp/B071JNQM3B/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1517603137&sr=8-3&keywords=lithium+battery+car+charger+suaoki

Its after reading reports on here I dropped down from the expensive units, realising it only needs to get the "big" Battery into the system for the car to go.

I got the T10 version and it works well using the jump terminal in the fuse box.

Warning!! once power comes back on the car sometimes locks itself so don't leave the keys in the car with the doors closed whilst attaching the jump starter!

• Like 1

Good point Delbois, I have heard that before, so its leave the door open.

Thanks for that tip... I wouldn’t have thought about that especially in the winter months !!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links