Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 2.2L D-4D issue

Mattman85

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying a 2014 Toyota RAV4 GX AWD 2.2D Diesel. Is the problem with the EGR valve still an issue with the newer models? I note that most of the comments i have seen seem to be with the 2006 and 2007 year cars.. the engine in the car i am looking at is 2AD-FTV.

Should i steer clear of buying this car because of this issue or is it minor??

Cheers for your help

Think with any modern diesel, the EGR valve may need cleaning at regular intervals.

7 hours ago, Mattman85 said:

I am thinking of buying a 2014 Toyota RAV4 GX AWD 2.2D Diesel. Is the problem with the EGR valve still an issue with the newer models? I note that most of the comments i have seen seem to be with the 2006 and 2007 year cars.. the engine in the car i am looking at is 2AD-FTV.

Should i steer clear of buying this car because of this issue or is it minor??

The engine in a 2014 is as reliable as any modern common rail turbodiesel. How you drive it (journey length etc.) & fuel quality will have an impact but it would have on any modern common rail turbodiesel from any other manufacturer too.

Yeah; If you baby it and/or only drive in town, things like the EGR will have a tendency to block up.

When I got my (now old *sob*) Yaris Mk1 D4D, the EGR hole in the throttle body was almost completely blocked up with soot; Cleaned it out, never had to do it again since I owned it, because I stopped bothering to drive for economy and made sure it got nice and hot to burn off any crud and soot. Ironically, this also help with economy as the engine ran much more efficiently when hot!

I have had 2 RAVs now with this engine (150 bhp) and the redesigned egr is not a problem in fact it should not be cleaned. 

If you go for it use quality fuels and oils ( not supermarket) and get a good warranty as Toyota prices are horrendous. I took a Toyota extended warranty out on mine for peace of mind  

My 59 plate never let me down and was a great car. My newer 13 plate Icon is a far better ride and a better car all round in my opinion.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links