Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Daytime Running Lights question

Mick F

The handbook says:

Daytime running light system. To make your vehicle more visible to other drivers, the daytime running lights turn on automatically when the parking brake lever is released, if hybrid system is operating.

Our's are on with the handbrake on or off.  Is this normal?  Is the handbook incorrect?

Thanks, Mick.

I have the diesel Yaris but I assume they work the same.

when I first start the car with the hanbrake on the daytime running lights are off, when I release the handbrake the lights come on and will stay on for the rest of the trip. Not sure if this helps

21 hours ago, Bonodog said:

I have the diesel Yaris but I assume they work the same.

when I first start the car with the hanbrake on the daytime running lights are off, when I release the handbrake the lights come on and will stay on for the rest of the trip. Not sure if this helps

Spot on! 

I checked, and you are correct.  Perhaps the handbook is correct, though ambiguous.

Thanks, Mick

On mine, the DRLs are OFF until the car moves (2015 build). Handbrake makes no difference. Thereafter, they stay on until the car is switched off.

I tested this in the dark.

I pressed Start with the light switch set to off,  gear selector in Park and the handbrake on.  The DRLs were off.  Complete darkness other than the dash lights.

Releasing the handbrake and still in Park, the DRLs came on.  Setting the handbrake again, the DRLs stayed on.

Sept 2014 Hybrid Excel.

Mick.

On my Avensis once the DRLs have come on (which requires once engine running gear selection or epb release , can't remember exactly which atm) they don't go out until you switch off.

• 1 year later...

Are these daylight lights supposed to be front lights ONLY or is my car defect ??

Daytime running lights are intended for the front of the vehicle. This is to make the car more visible when approaching pedestrians, and other road users.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 7:55 PM, Krupion said:

Are these daylight lights supposed to be front lights ONLY or is my car defect ??

Yes, and they are run brighter as well.

I now find DLR very useful (for both drivers and pedestrians) as you know whether cars on the opposite lanes are stationary/parked or moving. 

• 1 year later...

Just bought a Yaris icon 16 plate are daytime running lights on both headlights or only one? I think mine is only on drivers side headlight?

14 minutes ago, Julesw said:

Just bought a Yaris icon 16 plate are daytime running lights on both headlights or only one? I think mine is only on drivers side headlight?

Should be in both headlights.

13 minutes ago, Julesw said:

Daytime running lights should be on both the nearside and the offside - so if only one is working, you have a fault. If you bought the car from a garage, take it back for repair.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links