Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 seating height and oncoming headlights

sproutdreamer

Like many older drivers I suffer from oncoming headlight glare more than when I was younger. This is a combination of older eyes being unable to deal with scattered light as well as some modern headlights being over-bright.

I have decided to get a newer car with HID's or LED headlights and with steering headlights or with cornering lights and have though about an Avensis Excel or Biusiness EditionPlus where these are standard features. However i wonder whether the seating position being a bit higher on the Rav4 may help with being a bit above much of the oncoming headlight glare. I am making an assumption that being sat a bit higher helps in this respect and i would welcome some comments from Rav4 drivers about this topic. I have never driven an RV/SUV so I am not in a position to judge whether to go for an Avensis or a Rav4.

Hi, Keith, as you can see from my profile I am a Rav4 nut as this is by no means my first one and who knows it may not be the last. The only problem is it looks as if it will go on for ever. The reason this type of car was bought was the swmbo was having trouble getting in a car so we looked at a rav. She loved it after the test drive and I had to admit so did I !! You just slid on to the seats (and off) As has been mentioned many times on here the petrol engine seems bullet proof. Go find a dealer that has one within your price bracket and say you would like a test run. If it suits you then see what is on the market but there never does seem to be a flood of them on there. As for the lights problem I also suffer looking at bright lights so I think you maybe you are right that the elevation helps as I am not bothered to any extent when driving

Whatever you think is right for you, may you have trouble free motoring 

Del

Another cause of headlight glare is from all the small marks, chips and scratches on the windscreen.  Gets worse as the car's mileage increases, but it's a slow degradation so as driver, you don't notice the change, until you have a new windscreen fitted.

As a mid size suv driver (mine is a CX-5, Mazda's version of the Rav 4) and an hgv driver (big 'high cabbed' artics) I find the glare of oncoming headlights much less in the truck, and a bit less in the car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links