Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota auris 1.33vvti or 1.6

Jono69

Hi, I'm looking to downsize from a Toyota avensis 1.8 petrol tourer to an auris.

looking at these engine stats the 1.33 seems to be a bit underpowered. Just wondering if in real driving this is likely to prove the case and the 1.6 would be a much better bet. May be hatchback or estate.

cheers

Presumably as you're considering the estate, it is the second generation you're looking at?

Yes will be second generation. Estates bit thin on ground in petrol form but would be ideal but not a requirement. Hatchbacks much more readily available .

I've had my 1.6 VVTI Touring for eighteen months now, and it's been a good choice, particularly at that price - mine was 18 months old with 30K on the clock, which was why I got it from a main dealer in Icon Plus trim for just over £10K. Bargain!

That was because the mileage was too high for some people's tastes I suppose? (It doesn't worry me - I'm used to buying ex-lease single-driver diesels with chunky motorway mileages - but I can see why 30K wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea.)

Anyway, the 1.6 engine suits me. It's been out of production in the Auris for a year or two, but it's a reliable workhorse that was being made for several decades, so as far as I'm concerned it's had all the bugs knocked out of it, which is a plus for me because I like things kept simple. No turbos to go wrong, no expensive torque-maxing gizmos, just a tried and tested lump with 132 bhp, which is enough to get me and half a tonne of gear down to the Mediterranean twice a year. Sometimes I do 700 miles in a day, which is a bit unusual, I suppose?

Those who intend to give their Aurises a slightly easier life, or who want more than the (realistic) 40-44 mpg that I'm getting from the 1.6, would probably prefer the more modern 1.33 or even the new turbocharged 1.2 engine. Horses for courses, I'd say. Does that help?

Getting one of the 1.6 estates up in Scotland has proved quite difficult as they are dominated by diesel and hybrids. Sounds pretty much what the avensis did. The reason I ask about the 1.33 is availability within a reasonable distance. Cheers for the insight though. What I came expect from Toyota.

10 hours ago, Jono69 said:

Hi, I'm looking to downsize from a Toyota avensis 1.8 petrol tourer to an auris.

looking at these engine stats the 1.33 seems to be a bit underpowered. Just wondering if in real driving this is likely to prove the case and the 1.6 would be a much better bet. May be hatchback or estate.

cheers

Coming from 1.8l, you will regret the 1.33 VTi. The engine is fairly flat and you have to rev it up to 4000 rpm to get any meaningful work out of it. The 1.33VTi is not suited to the Auris chassis and don't expect the boot capacity to be any better.

46 minutes ago, TAuris said:

The 1.33VTi is not suited to the Auris chassis and don't expect the boot capacity to be any better.

Disagree with the opinion that the 1.33 isn't suited to the Auris. I've had two from new (2009 and 2012) and for an entry level engine, it provides acceptable performance and is generally comparable to entry level engines in cars from other manufacturers (Focus, Astra, etc).

The current Auris was a re-worked first generation, rather than a completely new model, so performance should be similar to the first generation. 

However, the additional weight of the Tourer would probably blunt performance of the 1.33 further.

At the end of the day, it depends what the OP wants from a car. The only way to decide whether a 1.33, 1.6, or indeed the Auris, would be suitable for them, is to try them.

OP's current car is an estate, meaning a load carrier. However, a 1.5 dual VVTi would have been a perfect engine. The problem with Toyota is that they are stuck in the 80s, 'one size fit all' concept.

8 minutes ago, TAuris said:

OP's current car is an estate, meaning a load carrier. However, a 1.5 dual VVTi would have been a perfect engine.

In the facelifted Yaris, the 1.33 has been re-worked into a 1.5 - which will probably be the entry level engine in the third generation Auris due in 2018 approx.

For the current range, for 2018 the diesel engines and the 1.33 have been dropped - leaving just the 1.2T and the hybrid to soldier on for a few months ....

In their first post the OP did say hatchback or estate ....

47 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

In the facelifted Yaris, the 1.33 has been re-worked into a 1.5 - sounds like more than a reworked engine http://blog.toyota.co.uk/new-1-5-litre-petrol-engine-for-toyota-yaris

For the current range, for 2018 the diesel engines and the 1.33 have been dropped - leaving just the 1.2T and the hybrid to soldier on for a few months .... For the UK, iirc the diesels at least are staying for some other markets

17 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

In the facelifted Yaris, the 1.33 has been re-worked into a 1.5 - sounds like more than a reworked engine http://blog.toyota.co.uk/new-1-5-litre-petrol-engine-for-toyota-yaris

According to Devon Aygo in a previous post it is

Would seem the 1.33 would be best left alone. The 1.2t is a bit above budget but reviews suggest a better bet. Never had a car with a turbo before. I like the idea of the 1.6 as a tried and proven engine

Owned a 1.6 estate since new and wife had a 2nd for a while (now Avensis 1.8).  1.6 is a brilliant car regularly get high 40s to the gallon with standard rural driving, we can get over 50mpg on a run at 60mph.  Honest John real MPG shows the 1.6 estate to exceed its quoted combined mpg figure, not many cars do that - although depends how it's driven.  We tried a 1.2 when looking to replace my wife's auris but preferred the standard non turbo engine of the Avensis (like the 1.6 in the auris).  

1.6 has more than enough go in it, seems very reliable and is surprisingly economical.  Would certainly choose it over the 1.2 for my driving. 1.33 not much experience of. Be patient they do turn up!

I currently own 1st generation hatchback, with 1.6 engine, 124bhp, pretty satisfied with it. Current mpg 45, which i'm pretty happy with, considering it's gasoline engine. Nice pulls, enough power for overtaking. At the time of the buy, 1,33 and 1.4 were more readily available, but i decided to wait for 1.6 to pop up, since most of the people mentioned it seems a bit underpowered.

On ‎23‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:43 PM, TAuris said:

Coming from 1.8l, you will regret the 1.33 VTi. The engine is fairly flat and you have to rev it up to 4000 rpm to get any meaningful work out of it. The 1.33VTi is not suited to the Auris chassis and don't expect the boot capacity to be any better.

I also disagree on this. I came to the 1.33L Auris straight after 8 years in a Corolla TSport that had190bhp on tap. 99% of the time I would take the 1.33, its smoother and more refined and significantly better on economy. Yes, you do need to work it 'hard' to open the door to the performance on offer, but then that is the design philosophy of a typical lightweight multivalve engine. For all the times you don't need to work it hard, you can enjoy the relaxed performance and economy. Reliability has been 100% so far. 

My thread on fuel consumption shows how efficient this 1.33 engine is:

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/157794-auris-133-fuel-bar-fuel-consumption-and-all-that-stuff/

There is also something slightly satisfying about driving 'the underdog' as I find it makes you a better driver, you anticipate more, and that can be really enjoyable as you capitalise on your skill and reading the road ahead, and not relying on 'brute force'.

To me, the 1.2T is an unknown. I tend to keep cars a long time and so would have concerns over ultimate durability of what is (in a turbo engine) a highly stressed component. It may only be classed as a 'lightly blown engine' with the turbo more for economy and driveability rather than outright performance...... but even so...... an unknown at this early stage.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 1.6 Auris Tourer.  I test drove the 1.3 hatch for a couple of days and found the type of driving I do the 1.6 felt to be the stronger all round performer for me.

I commute 60miles per day A/B roads/Motorway & City stop/start each and every commute, not forgetting the Peak District Hills.  

It is also used as a family car and often has 2 adults/2 children (aged 10+) & a dog in it, sometimes Roofbox & camping equipment too. In the 28K I've driven in it, I have a 40mpg average & don't regret buying it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links