Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

useless dealership

monkeydave

So I have had this pulley/chain noise on my car for 5000 miles now and I went in to the dealer for its first service and to have it looked at, showed the mechanic and we both heard it and after leaving it there for two days all of a sudden he cant here anything.

took it in last week we both heard the noise again and I said I want a new belt and tensioner out of my own pocket which was done and on the video they send you the same mechanic said cant here it even though he did before and on the paperwork it says noise that customer showed is still present after fitment of new parts and they said that i rejected their diagnose (which i didn't) as i just wanted the tension pulley wheel and belt putting on as well as not instead of which i told the manager too.

So is it me or are they taking the micky? The so called service manager is useless too

The noise has an initial shh shh shh from cold start and then dissipates for about a min or two and then comes back for about 10 mins before fully going away when the car is up to temp. I am sick of leaving the car for two days at a time. I do hope it isn’t the chain/guide/tensioner but it might be and they don’t seem to give a crap.  The noise is always there on a cold engine especially the first start noise.

I don’t know how a trained Toyota mechanic can miss it, and maybe he turns the car off before the noise comes back

Really not liking my first Toyota experience at all, going back to Honda after all this crap, i also dont want my car to break down with a possible chain issue and damage the engine

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

The obvious suggestion is to try another dealer, as from your current rant, you obviously don't have any confidence in your present dealer.

How long do you intend to keep the Yaris? If you intend going back to Honda before the Toyota new car warranty expires, and if the chain/guide/tensioner does fail and the car has been serviced according to Toyota's requirements, presumably the failure will be covered by the warranty, especially as the service history shows an issue has been raised already.

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The obvious suggestion is to try another dealer, as from your current rant, you obviously don't have any confidence in your present dealer.

How long do you intend to keep the Yaris? If you intend going back to Honda before the Toyota new car warranty expires, and if the chain/guide/tensioner does fail and the car has been serviced according to Toyota's requirements, presumably the failure will be covered by the warranty, especially as the service history shows an issue has been raised already.

thats the worry, i will be keeping it at least up to the 5 year warranty and if it goes after that time i think it unfair if they did nothing seeing as though i keep bringing it to their attention, also the other dealers are miles away and the same rrg chain so unless i get a loan car it aint happening

here is a sample of the noise i just took today to see if the forum think it is normal or not, stay to the end with the noise with the oil cap removed

Haven't we heard this already?

If you keep it past the five year warranty, you could consider a Toyota extended warranty to ensure cover.

2 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Haven't we heard this already?

If you keep it past the five year warranty, you could consider a Toyota extended warranty to ensure cover.

well unless this is normal noise for a toyota engine i dont think i will be going beyond 5 years and if it is not normal noise i would like it seeing too before it is putting bits of metal into the engine or leaves me stranded. i cant see it being normal as i never heared anything like it especially at such a low 8000 miles and started at 3000 miles

toyota need to step their after sales up

1 hour ago, monkeydave said:

toyota need to step their after sales up

That may well be your opinion, but you need to communicate the sentiment to Toyota, rather than on an independent forum.

My first thought is that the noise is from the alternator. It may be from the timing belt tensioner.

Another reason I went for the Hybrid - no belts anywhere!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike J. said:

My first thought is that the noise is from the alternator. It may be from the timing belt tensioner.

Another reason I went for the Hybrid - no belts anywhere!

the belt and tensioner were replaced, noise still the same, think it is coming from chain side

i didnt know the hybrid didnt have any belts

What is the errant noise? The video just sounds like a normal engine to me.   

My car has the same engine and most certainly doesn't exhibit that particular noise. It is definitely not normal. Otherwise your engine sounds like a Diesel.:laugh:

I hope your 1.5 litre engine doesn't sound like that Gary, if you consider it "normal".

It's difficult to diagnose from a video but have you tried to find the exact location of the noise Dave? Say, using a long screwdriver handle against your ear and the blade touching various parts of the engine? It goes without saying,  be very careful to avoid the moving belt, pulleys etc. if doing it.

23 minutes ago, mrpj said:

I hope your 1.5 litre engine doesn't sound like that Gary, if you consider it "normal".

If you put a crappy phone microphone in close proximity to a cold car engine and move it in and out and around, you'll hear the engine and the ancillaries making numerous different sounds, I can't work out exactly what this errant sound is as it's all just a mechanical noise.  What would help would be to say - at this point in the video you can hear it and it sounds like....

Timing belt? Thought the 1.33 was chain drive camshaft. What did the garage replace, and what did they itemise? 

Previous topic - 

It starts at 2 seconds, then starts again at 10 seconds for just about the rest of the video.

If that's the sound Dave is referring to? As he says, I hear it as a sort of shhhhh shhhhh  shhhh noise. It does sound like a high frequency metallic vibration as though a metal plate (or bearing?) is vibrating/rattling.:ohmy:

As I indicated, there's no sound remotely resembling that on my 1.33l vvti.

3 hours ago, mrpj said:

It starts at 2 seconds, then starts again at 10 seconds for just about the rest of the video.

If that's the sound Dave is referring to? As he says, I hear it as a sort of shhhhh shhhhh  shhhh noise. It does sound like a high frequency metallic vibration as though a metal plate (or bearing?) is vibrating/rattling.:ohmy:

As I indicated, there's no sound remotely resembling that on my 1.33l vvti.

thanks for the reply

its the metalic noise is loudest from about 20 seconds in and at the end with the oil cap off, toyota main dealer mechanic hears the noise with me and then the next day says there is no noise, twice now

the last time he said no noise on the video he sends you, but on the paperwork after i had the belt and tension pulley replaced (on my request and pocket) it says noise is still there after new parts replaced so who knows what is going on with them

the noise does go away once car is fully up to temp (about 10 mins)

you would have thought after the noise was still present they would check in more depth on the chain side while they still have the car. i think i might have to get toyota themselves involved in this matter to give them a kick up the ****

Sounds to me like a slight timing chain rattle...I occasionally get it our D4D when it is cold -  BUT - as yours vanishes when the engine warms up, it may be a tappet clearance - and fixing that would be a remove camshafts job...which I believe  means removing timing chain.. which is ££££s.

The noise sounds too rhythmic and too slow for a tappet.  Tappets in my experience sound constant.  I prefer the idea that it's a timing belt/chain that is too loose so it's harmonically flexing and touching a cover or something internally.

I must say, that I know nothing of these engines and very little about my own Yaris Hybrid.

thanks for the replys guys

the car only now has 8000 miles on it and is 14 months old the noise started at about 2000 to 3000 miles so more a faulty part than a worn one

hopefully it will be sorted but they dont seem to hear it (probably only running the engine for a min)

i get a slight chain noise at start and then it goes quiet for about 3 mins then it comes in for 10 to 15 mins (longer if weather is cold)

you can leave it for an hour after a run and get noise too but it goes away quicker

it is strange the mechanic heared the noise with me and mentioned something about chain tensioner and then said there was no noise in the video they send out but in the paperwork it says the noise is still present, getting the run around especially as the mechanic was (busy) when i picked the car up

i might give them another chance before i call toyota about this, i am still undecided

On 25/12/2017 at 8:00 AM, pshawfocus said:

What is the errant noise? The video just sounds like a normal engine to me.   

its the metalic gingle noise especially around the rear of the engine and when the oil cap is removed

does your engine sound similar to the video?

On 25/12/2017 at 10:01 AM, cobh18 said:

Timing belt? Thought the 1.33 was chain drive camshaft. What did the garage replace, and what did they itemise? 

i wanted the belt tensioner replaced as the bearing in the pulley didnt sound too clever and put another belt on as well

the next step is the chain tensioner i just hope it isnt too big a job to get it sorted, the car is too new for wear so it is a faulty component i just hope it is resolved without the chain eating into the guides or damaging something else

On 25/12/2017 at 8:42 AM, mrpj said:

My car has the same engine and most certainly doesn't exhibit that particular noise. It is definitely not normal. Otherwise your engine sounds like a Diesel.:laugh:

It's difficult to diagnose from a video but have you tried to find the exact location of the noise Dave? Say, using a long screwdriver handle against your ear and the blade touching various parts of the engine? It goes without saying,  be very careful to avoid the moving belt, pulleys etc. if doing it.

the last time i used a screwdriver on the alternator (ok) and the belt tensioner (rough sound) now replaced, i also put it around the engine but couldnt hear anything from the block

it is a bit worrying that a toyota tech says there is no noise even though he heared it when i was showing it him (twice)

12 hours ago, Madasafish said:

Sounds to me like a slight timing chain rattle...I occasionally get it our D4D when it is cold -  BUT - as yours vanishes when the engine warms up, it may be a tappet clearance - and fixing that would be a remove camshafts job...which I believe  means removing timing chain.. which is ££££s.

so you get timing chain noise on yours, does it start from cold start and how long does it last?

on mine you cant really hear it if you are inside the car with the fan on, if you open the window when you are in traffic you can hear it bouncing off walls etc and it cannot be heared when on the move

Hi Monkeydave, it could be a faulty water pump, we had a similar issue (temperature related) a few years back on a 2006 mk2 Yaris. 

59 minutes ago, stantheman1 said:

Hi Monkeydave, it could be a faulty water pump, we had a similar issue (temperature related) a few years back on a 2006 mk2 Yaris. 

thanks for the reply

i do hope they find the issue when i take it back for a more indepth investigation with them when i get a chance, i must admit i would rather it be a water pump than a timing chain tensioner for replacement purposes

what happened to your pump, did the noise come in from about 3 mins from start and  go away when up to full temp

2 hours ago, monkeydave said:

thanks for the reply

i do hope they find the issue when i take it back for a more indepth investigation with them when i get a chance, i must admit i would rather it be a water pump than a timing chain tensioner for replacement purposes

what happened to your pump, did the noise come in from about 3 mins from start and  go away when up to full temp

Yes, exactly that, I remember setting off for work one morning and noticing a strange noise a mile or so down the road, I pulled over and popped the bonnet, the noise seemed to come from the belt and pulley areas, it sounded more like a 'tractor' than a Yaris! By the time I'd got to work the noise had disappeared.

I have a friend who's a mechanic and he diagnosed it immediately, the strange thing was that the pump had recently been changed due to it leaking which was about 18 months ago by the garage which we'd bought it from.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links