Do Not Sell My Personal Information

useless dealership

monkeydave

2 hours ago, stantheman1 said:

Yes, exactly that, I remember setting off for work one morning and noticing a strange noise a mile or so down the road, I pulled over and popped the bonnet, the noise seemed to come from the belt and pulley areas, it sounded more like a 'tractor' than a Yaris! By the time I'd got to work the noise had disappeared.

I have a friend who's a mechanic and he diagnosed it immediately, the strange thing was that the pump had recently been changed due to it leaking which was about 18 months ago by the garage which we'd bought it from.

thanks for getting back to me, my car isnt using any coolant at the moment and has only 8000 miles and had its first service in october i did take the belt off before i got the belt tensioner and belt replaced and i could swear i still heared some chain noise (i got the pulley changed because i heared some grumbling from the bearings that have now gone)

just a mystery on such a new car, not something you expect until way after 60-80k

On 29/12/2017 at 1:11 AM, monkeydave said:

thanks for getting back to me, my car isnt using any coolant at the moment and has only 8000 miles and had its first service in october i did take the belt off before i got the belt tensioner and belt replaced and i could swear i still heared some chain noise (i got the pulley changed because i heared some grumbling from the bearings that have now gone)

just a mystery on such a new car, not something you expect until way after 60-80k

Ours wasn't leaking or using any coolant either it was the pump itself probably the bearings, shaft or seal and when warm would be as quiet as a Church mouse. I still have the old pump in my workshop at work ( I intended to strip it down to take a closer look but never got around to it).

You can usually pinpoint where the noise is coming from by the use of an extra long screwdriver or metal rod (doesn't have to be metal) placed to the ear at one end whilst the other end  placed very carefully on the suspect parts/areas when the noise is evident.

Good luck either way on finding a solution. :) 

thanks for the reply, i have tried that before i couldnt hear anything on the engine block area but there was some noise on the belt tensioner which is now replaced, the alternator is ok too

the noise does seem to be coming from the top of the left side of the engine mostly at the back so i dont think it will be the pump maybe as the tech has seen it twice it might just be noisy but within tolorance, if it was a real problem noise it should be making it all the time and not before it is up to temp

how old was your car and how many miles did it have on it when the pump was replaced?

i have been to the dealer twice (once at the first service) with this and twice the tech heared this noise with me and after two days says nothing wrong (first time on paperwork and second time on the video they send you) but the paperwork for the second time the belt and tensioner were replaced also says that the noise that customer showed tech is still present after new parts fitted and that i refused their diagnose test (which i didnt) and that i need to allow them to test it using their corect procedures

so they cant even get their story right, still debating on what my next step is

thanks again

On 12/28/2017 at 12:48 AM, monkeydave said:

so you get timing chain noise on yours, does it start from cold start and how long does it last?

on mine you cant really hear it if you are inside the car with the fan on, if you open the window when you are in traffic you can hear it bouncing off walls etc and it cannot be heared when on the move

Starting from cold.More like a gentle metallic rustling sound. Lasts about 1 minute. Only audible  car near engine.

As I am Obsessive compulsive, I hear it.!

1 hour ago, Madasafish said:

Starting from cold.More like a gentle metallic rustling sound. Lasts about 1 minute. Only audible  car near engine.

thanks for the reply

i get a tiny shh shh at startup and then it is quiet for 3 mins and then it comes in for 10 to 15 mins same sort of noise sometimes with a slight buzzing, you cant hear it in the car unless the window is down and then you think it is quiet at idle but still there when you blip the throttle

toyota mechanic hears it with me (twice) and then cant hear it in the video they send out to you (twice) but in the invoice i got for the parts i had fitted says "noise customer shown tech still there after new parts fitted" and also that i refused their diagnosis, really after waiting over 6 weeks to get my car in i refused their diagnosis. so that is what is getting on my nerves with this main dealer, lying and deaf a good combination or perhaps they think as the car is only a year old with 8500 miles i cant possibly be anything serious so fob customer off until the warranty has run out

Is there another dealer you can consult, Dave or even get Toyota GB involved? Does the dealer have a 1.33l Yaris that could be started from cold and listen for the same noise?

Do you know anyone with a yaris with the same engine, possibly with similar mileage?

Not right now but I'll try to record a video of my own car starting from cold and with the "glamour" cover removed from the top of the engine.

6 hours ago, mrpj said:

Is there another dealer you can consult, Dave or even get Toyota GB involved? Does the dealer have a 1.33l Yaris that could be started from cold and listen for the same noise?

Do you know anyone with a yaris with the same engine, possibly with similar mileage?

Not right now but I'll try to record a video of my own car starting from cold and with the "glamour" cover removed from the top of the engine.

thank you for your help,

dont know anyone else with a yaris and all the other dealers are far away and are also the same franchise so by the time i get there the noise would be gone. the dealer isnt very helpful so i might have to get toyota involved but then how good of a job would they do on my car after that.

if your looking at your car the noise is coming from the belt tensioner area and then further up at the side of the engine at the back

it is very strange as the noise started at about 3000 miles from new and still there after its first service at 6500, the car was 2 1/2 months old with 25 miles on it when i got it so it had been parked over last winter for all that time without moving so that might have something to do with it i dont know, i have scoured the internet and cannot find any mention of chain or tensioner noise on such low mileage or age car of any brand so it is a mystery especially for a brand like toyota which i bought especially as it is a toyota as i wanted a change from honda

At the end of the day, if you want the issue resolved, and the dealer is not admitting there is currently a fault, then your best option is to involve Toyota GB, and sooner rather than later. 

Toyota may decide to send out a technical engineer to assess the situation, and, if, in the opinion of the technical engineer, there is an issue that needs covering under the new car warranty, Toyota will authorise the repair.

What dealership are you using?

If the noise is only there for a short time after starting the car from cold, book the car in for a warranty inspection and leave the car at the garage overnight, if you can, then make sure they are instructed not to start it until you arrive back at the garage.

17 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

At the end of the day, if you want the issue resolved, and the dealer is not admitting there is currently a fault, then your best option is to involve Toyota GB, and sooner rather than later. 

Toyota may decide to send out a technical engineer to assess the situation, and, if, in the opinion of the technical engineer, there is an issue that needs covering under the new car warranty, Toyota will authorise the repair.

cheers

i didnt know they would send their own mechanic out, do they usually go to the dealer to see the car there or to my house?

2 minutes ago, monkeydave said:

cheers

i didnt know they would send their own mechanic out, do they usually go to the dealer to see the car there or to my house?

I did say they may decide to send out a technical engineer. Usually this is to the dealership.

14 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I did say they may decide to send out a technical engineer. Usually this is to the dealership.

cheers

I was going to do it this morning, Dave, but it's been and still is, pishing down.:laugh:

I'll try over the weekend - from cold.

Is this of any use, Dave? From cold and after about 10 seconds after starting.

3 hours ago, mrpj said:

Is this of any use, Dave? From cold and after about 10 seconds after starting.

thank you so much for doing the video, yours does sound a little rattly too but not as much as mine, my noise starts after two mins or so and it seem to be louder if you drive the car than leave it parked, your noise is louder than i expected how many miles on your car?

thank you once again for doing the video it was a great help

6 hours ago, TAuris said:

Is the fault there without the v-belt?

yes i did hear a tiny bit of chain type noise without the belt but i ony ran it for 30 seconds without the waterpump on

On 04/01/2018 at 5:46 PM, estate said:

What dealership are you using?

If the noise is only there for a short time after starting the car from cold, book the car in for a warranty inspection and leave the car at the garage overnight, if you can, then make sure they are instructed not to start it until you arrive back at the garage.

rrg altrincham

and they had it in twice, once on the 1st service and another time with a fully cold startup (i wanst there) but when i took it in both times i showed the mechanic the noise before i left the car with them and he heared it twice

and the next day no noise but on the paperwork i got for the pulleywheel i had fitted it said noise still present after new parts fitted so i dont know what to think, i said what with this to the manager and he just said book it in for a couple of days in the new year

" yours does sound a little rattly too " How dare you.:laugh:

I recorded it using the camera in my mobile phone. Possibly the microphone is a bit more sensitive. They don't sound that rattly by ear though.

25000 miles. So still comparitively low and over almost four years.

I have a suspicion my thermostat is stuck open. Taking forever to warm up and only reaches 90degC at 60-70mph, sometimes. Checked using OBD2 socket. Outlet hose from engine to radiator heats up soon after starting. Should stay cool until stat starts to open. Hopefully my dealership will be more helpful than yours.:rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, mrpj said:

" yours does sound a little rattly too " How dare you.:laugh:

I recorded it using the camera in my mobile phone. Possibly the microphone is a bit more sensitive. They don't sound that rattly by ear though.

25000 miles. So still comparitively low and over almost four years.

I have a suspicion my thermostat is stuck open. Taking forever to warm up and only reaches 90degC at 60-70mph, sometimes. Checked using OBD2 socket. Outlet hose from engine to radiator heats up soon after starting. Should stay cool until stat starts to open. Hopefully my dealership will be more helpful than yours.:rolleyes:

lol:biggrin:

yeah mine starts out a little quieter than yours for first couple of mins and then that metalic shh shh noise nearly a ching ching noise comes in especially now in the cold

after hearing yours at the back makes me wonder if it is the chain or something else and seeing as i got the belt and belt tensioner replaced i am running out of options that it might be, the technician said maybe chain tensioner but as it doesnt make noise for two mins it might not be that, if the tensioner was faulty it would make noise right away from start i would imagine 

yeah good luck with your dealer with your thermostat

On 12/28/2017 at 12:48 AM, monkeydave said:

so you get timing chain noise on yours, does it start from cold start and how long does it last?

on mine you cant really hear it if you are inside the car with the fan on, if you open the window when you are in traffic you can hear it bouncing off walls etc and it cannot be heared when on the move

More years ago than I care to remember I had a 1953 Rover 75 # with a noisy tappet from cold... which gradually became less noisy as it warmed up. Turns out it had a slight crack in the exhaust manifold gasket   which closed as it grew warm. Changed gasket = noise disappeared..

## I was a student and owned at different times a 1929 Riley , the above Rover, several Austins A30/35, a Standard 8, And then a Rover 100. None cost more than £80..

right booked the car in for a few weeks time, im wondering if i should email toyota GB and let them know about this situation as i dont want it comming back after 3 days with nothing wrong mate again after their diagnostic techniques

it does seem to get louder at the end of the week due to the short journeys i do and then after my weekend driving (130 miles approx) it is still there but a bit quieter for longer, also this cold weather might be effecting it too with the slower warm up times

also if it gets that far do they have to remove the water pump or just the pump wheel when taking the side of the engine off or can they reach the tensioner from the top with the rocker cover removed?

cheers

• 1 month later...

so my car has been in for 3 days and i had to call to see how it was doing, and apparently it is the timing chain tensioner that i told them it was in october last year on the service that they dismissed

i have to book it in again in 3 weeks to get them to fit it (he did say there were 7 parts he needed to order, so chain, 3 cogs, 2 guides and a tensioner) that must mean they will be doing it all and not just the tensioner

i just cant believe it takes so long to get anywhere with this dealer, this is the third time it has been in and dismissed as nothing twice, not the best and now they say the mechanic suspected it all along, even though i got him on video (that they email you) saying no noise present the last time i went.

i will see how well they do the job in a few weeks i hope i dont get any oil leaks, for a toyota i am really dissapointed in this brand, i thought they were up to honda specs but nope, if i wanted problems i could have walked across the road and get a fiesta

i will have to think long and hard with this cars replacement when it comes time as after sales is most important to me and it seems they couldnt be bothered