Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2 D4D Started Smoking! Please Help!

Wingz123

But so did I mate....cleaning them doesn’t always sort as I have learned. Mine is buggered altogether (i think) and no amount of cleaning will bring it back to life. The electrical parts inside them can die. 
Euros is £155 inc Vat
Toyota is £264.80 inc gaskets inc vat (gaskets are about £1.80)

Il have a look when I have a bit more time which will be on Tuesday and il get back to you let you know how I get on.

I did read a thread on this exact thing a while back where the op had smoke coming from his car.

Every time he unplugged the egr it stopped so he changed the egr and it still smoked.

I don’t think there ever was a conclusion as to what was causing it

How do you go about removing the inlet manifolds on these engines?? I cannot find any how2 guides or videos on youtube anywhere.....

I didn’t expect a response nobody seems to know what to remove, in what order, blah blah blah. Spent 3 hours trying to find info and have turned up nothing other than.....”its a dirty job”.....

Bearing in mind your car is newer than mine. From what I can see you need to take the egr off and undo the fuel rail. There looks like a cover under the rail so that needs to be remove the bolts. There are 4 bolts underneath which need to be removed then you should be able to pull the the manifold.

I’m kinda going off pictures I’ve seen of 2.2 diesels on eBay. Without the car being in front of me I couldn’t tell you for certain that’s definitely how it goes.

Also by the looks of it there is a pipe that attaches to the bottom of the manifold by four bolts you will need to undo those as well

Hadn’t updated this yet bud as this looks to be out of my comfort zone what with everything that seems bolted to it and lack of space so the plan is to pop down to see my friend in Trowbridge and have him do it....

but...am in a catch 22 situation....As of yesterday I this car is out on the road for 14hrs ish everyday - I’m driving it and at current I have the EGR valve unplugged - did 200 miles yesterday - cost me £22/23. I fear that if I have this car actually boosting properly again that could significantly increase which wouldn’t be good...

My money is on that intake/inlet manifold being completley clogged though.

Hows yours going?

• 2 weeks later...
Hadn’t updated this yet bud as this looks to be out of my comfort zone what with everything that seems bolted to it and lack of space so the plan is to pop down to see my friend in Trowbridge and have him do it....
but...am in a catch 22 situation....As of yesterday I this car is out on the road for 14hrs ish everyday - I’m driving it and at current I have the EGR valve unplugged - did 200 miles yesterday - cost me £22/23. I fear that if I have this car actually boosting properly again that could significantly increase which wouldn’t be good...
My money is on that intake/inlet manifold being completley clogged though.
Hows yours going?

That’s fair enough does look a tad complicated to remove. Generally if I’d take it on I’d take loads of pictures so I could remember where everything came from.

Mines still the same in fairness just been driving it sensibly and trying not to load the turbo up to much until it’s been done. Which is next Thursday 8th of feb it goes in plus I’m having the injection checked and a oil change as well [emoji51]

• 2 weeks later...

Little update on mine got it back Thursday from having the turbo done.

Few little puffs of smoke but nowhere as much as before the turbo was done makes me think it’s just burning oil residue out of the exhaust, cat/dpf.

Hopefully this is the case as on a run it doesn’t seem to be intermittently puffing smoke like before.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately mine has started smoking again 😭 been back to the garage had it plugged in and differential pressures checked on the dpf. We've found the culprit turns out the dpf has been gutted. 

Hi wingz123, did you get your inlet manifold checked out, is your D4D still smoking?

• 1 month later...

Sorry I didn’t respond, I have unplugged the EGR valve and am driving as is (in limp mode) - have been since Jan. Even bought another EGR valve, changed that and still no difference. Not turning this car into an expensive moneypit so just living with the issue....shame as it’s completely gutless but there you go...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links