Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2 D4D Started Smoking! Please Help!

Wingz123

Hello all,

First....a quick introduction....Owned german cars all my life, known the reliability of Japanese cars and like Toyotas (also own a 13’ Prius) but unfortunately am having some problems with my 2010 Avensis...

Not had the car all that long and within a few days, every now and again the car would give a small amount of blue smoking for approx 3-5 seconds then clear up. This would happen once warm and primarily after you had climbed a hill but even did it after 30 miles randomly on m4 flat level surface between j12 and Reading services...

anyway where we are up to now is, once warm, the car is now blue smoking quite a bit when you accelerate. Turbo still boosts (at the moment) but the smoking is now as if the turbo has gone. I guess if I were to continue driving it would go altogether.

Doesn’t smoke on idle at the moment just when underload but I suspect will eventually start smoking on idle too

can anyone verify this is turbo? Turbo sounds fine, spools fine and boosts fine but thats not to say seals are leaking etc etc i just dont think it has got to the stage where it has gone altogether and the shaft collapsed.

just dont want to change it and it not be that...is there anything else these 2.2 d4d’s suffer with? And would a turbo from an earlier 04/05 fit my avensis?

forgot to mention....mileage on this Avensis is 197k...

Thank you in advance,

James

Mine is undrivable as sends plumes of blue smoke out on the car behind and looks awful, as I say, shes still boosting at the moment but I suspect she will get progressively worse. I think turbo is on its way out.... so hoping for the following...

1) Does this sound like the turbo? 

2) If not, is there anything else that might cause these to blue smoke. Reason being is I don’t want to be one of these people who change numerous things and yet still have the same blue smoke issue, I simply can’t afford that!

3) if it is the turbo would anyone have a part number for the turbo unit itself? Does a turbo from a 2.2 d4d of 03/04’ fit the later 2010’s? I am pretty sure this is the same engine fitted to the Rav4’s...

If anyone can help with the above really would appreciate it,

Thank you,

James

Have attached a picture of my avensis - I refer to it as being a 2010 so as to avoid any confusion over which shape Avensis this is....it is actually a 2009 but in 09 I think they were still making the previous shape...

thanks,

809D2AB4-C3EB-4DE4-A988-47465011ABE6.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Wingz123 said:

Have attached a picture of my avensis - I refer to it as being a 2010 so as to avoid any confusion over which shape Avensis this is....it is actually a 2009 but in 09 I think they were still making the previous shape..

This generation was launched in October 2008. Yours being a 58 plate and presumably a 2009 car, means it would have been first registered either in January or February 2009

On 25/12/2017 at 10:23 AM, Wingz123 said:

Mine is undrivable as sends plumes of blue smoke out on the car behind and looks awful, as I say, shes still boosting at the moment but I suspect she will get progressively worse. I think turbo is on its way out.... so hoping for the following...

1) Does this sound like the turbo? 

2) If not, is there anything else that might cause these to blue smoke. Reason being is I don’t want to be one of these people who change numerous things and yet still have the same blue smoke issue, I simply can’t afford that!

3) if it is the turbo would anyone have a part number for the turbo unit itself? Does a turbo from a 2.2 d4d of 03/04’ fit the later 2010’s? I am pretty sure this is the same engine fitted to the Rav4’s...

If anyone can help with the above really would appreciate it,

Thank you,

James

Blue smoke is either Engine oil or diesel fuel being burnt with the possible causes being:

Turbo oil leak

Injector leak

Valve stem seals

Piston rings

The last two are almost unheard of.

Part number for your Turbo is 17201-0R060 replaced by 17201-0R061 replaced by 17201-0R062 these are shared by some but not all Auris, Avensis, Verso and Rav4 but you must match one of the previous part numbers ( preferably -0R062 as this is the latest part number ) Toyota do offer an exchange Turbo part number 17201-0R062-84 you will also need 04175-0R100 which is the Turbo gasket set.

There is a bulletin from Toyota for white smoke which requires a modified AF sensor and software update which would need to done at a dealer also there is a recall outstanding for an inspection/modification of the rear suspension arms again contact your dealer for this.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, rdy416 said:

Following this as my 07 t180 is doing the same

Your 180 engine is a little different to the OP's as your car also has a DPNR and this can also cause smoking randomly in addition to the causes I list for his car.

For smoking caused by failed DPNR regenerations there is a software update that can stop it, this would need to be installed at a Toyota dealer.

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

This generation was launched in October 2008. Yours being a 58 plate and presumably a 2009 car, means it would have been first registered either in January or February 2009

Thank you - correct yes was registered in Jan of 2009. Only reason I listed the car as being a 2010 was to avoid any confusion for anyone reading and then them thinking it was one of the last of the previous shape. 

So yes Jan 2009 Avensis,

thanks,

James

Thank you Devon Aygo - a great response! 

Ok will give Toyota a call and get it booked in with them - the recall you mentioned above...was your response based upon you checking my specific car or are you just aware there was a recall on these. 

Odd the turbo still spools fine (I have recorded a video but its too large to upload onto here)

Need to get this sorted asap....anyone have a turbo for one of these lol? And forgive me if this is a stupid question but am I able to buy a turbo from an older 2.2 d4d previous shaped avensis and fit that? I only ask as those turbos seem to be quite a bit cheaper to buy thats all. Some a probably rolling their eyes at me but I don’t have a lot of money sontrying to investigate the best route to go,

thank you once again brilliant advice 👍

On 25/12/2017 at 2:10 PM, Devon Aygo said:
Your 180 engine is a little different to the OP's as your car also has a DPNR and this can also cause smoking randomly in addition to the causes I list for his car.
For smoking caused by failed DPNR regenerations there is a software update that can stop it, this would need to be installed at a Toyota dealer.

Ok thanks for that I am going to take the car to my local garage and get them to take the dpf off and give it a clean. The car was used around town before I bought it so is possible it’s blocked. Il have to speak to Toyota when it goes in for the air bag about a software update.

7 hours ago, Wingz123 said:

Thank you Devon Aygo - a great response! 

Ok will give Toyota a call and get it booked in with them - the recall you mentioned above...was your response based upon you checking my specific car or are you just aware there was a recall on these. 

Odd the turbo still spools fine (I have recorded a video but its too large to upload onto here)

Need to get this sorted asap....anyone have a turbo for one of these lol? And forgive me if this is a stupid question but am I able to buy a turbo from an older 2.2 d4d previous shaped avensis and fit that? I only ask as those turbos seem to be quite a bit cheaper to buy thats all. Some a probably rolling their eyes at me but I don’t have a lot of money sontrying to investigate the best route to go,

thank you once again brilliant advice 👍

Used your registration to get specific info

• Thanks 1

Just updating this topic as I thought just on the off chance I’d take the EGR valve off and see what state that was in.....struth just look at the pictures....

Got it all back together and up to temperature and took it down one junction of the m4 and back to get it up to temp quicker otherwise would have taken ages. Anyway, all I can report back is the uptake is better she seems a bit more responsive and the blue smoke has certainly died down when driving but still gives it out when pulling off or boosting away. 

The bit of oven cleaner I used to clean the egr valve up etc should all have burnt off by now with that drive shouldn’t it? Probably did 10-11 miles in total, 10 of which were at operating temp and 80/90 down the m4...

Would appreciate thoughts...

thanks,

James

C797FF4C-C5B2-44FD-A046-7B499E42EBC2.jpeg

7E906771-BB5D-4A78-9A2A-119F15BE244E.jpeg

64BFF5FC-E19D-4859-91D3-2E5A01DAAD89.jpeg

64A78492-93E9-47FC-A646-91D54ADD759E.jpeg

AF446C9B-A8C4-494C-AAA0-F6B7943702CF.jpeg

EA7EDF60-65D0-447F-91A1-12AEBCFCD981.jpeg

7F05DF69-3433-4427-B02F-318CCE8067DD.jpeg

3F0D3DF1-07DC-430B-93DD-4EF91E3D795D.jpeg

6963ED99-0BDC-482B-BDF2-86B997B4702A.jpeg

Booked in at Jemca Toyota next Tues at 8am for the rear suspension arm recall....thanks again Devon Aygo, hopefully will be able to pick their brains for confirmation of turbo. Was hoping I could be lucky and the unclogging of that mess yesterday would stop the smoking. It has reduced it but not got rid of it altogether.... 

Apologies for butting in here guys...im curious...how can i check via our reg if there are any recalls outstanding on our 2010 Avensis 2.0 diesel ??? Our vehicle is serviced and mot’d at our Toyota dealer but they have never mentioned any recall work outstanding!

On another note relating to this thread, wow...that egr is pretty much coked up, my partner did his recent, and i’d say it was half that amount upon removal, saying that he has the 2.0 diesel.

I hope you get the smoke issue resolved soon, best of luck to you.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Apologies for butting in here guys...im curious...how can i check via our reg if there are any recalls outstanding on our 2010 Avensis 2.0 diesel ??? Our vehicle is serviced and mot’d at our Toyota dealer but they have never mentioned any recall work outstanding!

One can use the recall checker below for both the Avensis and the Aygo. This covers both official DVSA recalls (mainly safety related), and any voluntary campaigns that Toyota have run - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/recall-checker-info.json#/iframe/https%3A%2F%2Fforms.toyota.co.uk%2Frecall-checker%3F_ga%3D2.166643646.1886874604.1514244902-530507447.1503521244

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tonights findings - 

Maintained 3100rpm at 50-55mph for 1.5hr on cruise control (to try and get everything hot) - whilst doing so the car was pulsing i.e accelerating on and off to maintain 55mph however I was travelling on flat motorway level surface. When accelerating and then easing off, throughout there was a high pitched scraping noise which changed tone ever so slightly as it accelerated and then eased off and then back on then eased off and then back on then eased off - was making me feel quite nautious actually. I believe that this scraping noise is a sign of a dry bearing in the turbo. I also reckon this being the 2.2 it should pull harder than it does.

So after all this time on the motorway where she didn’t give out any smoke, coming off the motorway and down the slip road to a red traffic light, she gave an almighty plume of blue smoke when accelerating off and then throughout all the way back home (only 3 miles from j12 m4) it was worse than it was before I drove to the motorway earlier this evening. 

So the long drive did nothing for clearing up the smoke but, I am now adamant that the turbo is leaking oil and am also sure that with the turbo off there would be quite a bit of play in that impeller shaft. Not able to check the impeller on the car as such a long collar on this particular turbo with a bend so only way to check would be to have it off the car and on the bench.

So with that said and am trying to take the postives from this little night mission - I guess I will now go ahead and get the turbo changed. I located a turbo with the latter part number from a 2015 Rav4 which has been claimed to have only done 20k miles with no play in the impeller shaft. 

Unless anyone can see anything blindingly obvious that I am missing please speak up. Would also be nice to hear from anyone who might have done a turbo change on one of these before to get a feel for time etc. 

Will keep this thread updated and I won’t vanish without letting you all know the outcome...this car needs to be on the road for the 11th Jan!!...and then being replated for the last time by TFL at the end of Jan...

Also not driving this now until turbo is changed. 

Will be interested to see if this sorts out your issues.

I just love your EGR piccies. The best yet.

Right UPDATE...

So did the EGR cleanup as mentioned then proceeded to drive at 55mph at 00.20hrs when the roads are quiet (plus I have trouble sleeping) and I did so from J12 of the m4 to J10 of the M25 (A3 Junction at Wisley) IN 3rd GEAR!!! My aim was to try and get everything hot and burn off any crap still about...

So did that, came off at J10 and all the traffic lights were green coming round the roundabout so rejoined m25 and drove the same all the way back. Came off again at J12 m4 and lights were red, and i came to a stop. Pulled off and loads of blue smoke, then hit more lights and a roundabout....more blue smoke!! 

So with this said, i was feeling disheartened that all that time I had just spent was wasted.

Anyway, car is parked up and sits unused for few days. I get in it today and take it for the suspension recall. Dark when i get there. I go in at 7.55pm and leave at 8.50am with it having been washed and hoovered too...

When I get in it, car is up to operating temp and I drive the stop start journey through the centre of Reading home at 9am this morning....guess what....no smoke...not even a whisker and plenty of stop start...

so what has happened? My friend reckons they have plugged the car in without telling me and ran an update but I have no way of knowing or telling....

must say i havent changed turbo yet....

22 hours ago, Wingz123 said:

Right UPDATE...

So did the EGR cleanup as mentioned then proceeded to drive at 55mph at 00.20hrs when the roads are quiet (plus I have trouble sleeping) and I did so from J12 of the m4 to J10 of the M25 (A3 Junction at Wisley) IN 3rd GEAR!!! My aim was to try and get everything hot and burn off any crap still about...

So did that, came off at J10 and all the traffic lights were green coming round the roundabout so rejoined m25 and drove the same all the way back. Came off again at J12 m4 and lights were red, and i came to a stop. Pulled off and loads of blue smoke, then hit more lights and a roundabout....more blue smoke!! 

So with this said, i was feeling disheartened that all that time I had just spent was wasted.

Anyway, car is parked up and sits unused for few days. I get in it today and take it for the suspension recall. Dark when i get there. I go in at 7.55pm and leave at 8.50am with it having been washed and hoovered too...

When I get in it, car is up to operating temp and I drive the stop start journey through the centre of Reading home at 9am this morning....guess what....no smoke...not even a whisker and plenty of stop start...

so what has happened? My friend reckons they have plugged the car in without telling me and ran an update but I have no way of knowing or telling....

must say i havent changed turbo yet....

It would be unusual for anything to be done automatically did you ask the dealer to look into the smoking or mention it to them ? 

"so what has happened? My friend reckons they have plugged the car in without telling me and ran an update but I have no way of knowing or telling...."

It's interesting that you/your friend quoted this about plugging in the car...

I had similar experience with my Yaris, when I had it serviced the dealer, they plugged in an reprogrammed the ECU. The result  - a more sluggish engine. They have tried to fiddle the DPF problem. So now I have my OBD2 socket disconnected  to stop the dealer reprogramming it without my knowledge/consent.

No didn’t mention anything to any of them about the smoking or to look into anything. No mention of clogged EGR or anything. They knew nothing. 

Its very odd... Can’t get my head around it...

36 minutes ago, Wingz123 said:

No didn’t mention anything to any of them about the smoking or to look into anything. No mention of clogged EGR or anything. They knew nothing. 

Its very odd... Can’t get my head around it...

PM your chassis number and I can look see if they did an update.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links