Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Not enough miles?!

Sam Payne

I have recently brought an Auris (2015 1.8 hybrid) and am yet to exceed 400 miles from a full tank... This doesn't sound right to me?! Any thoughts?? 

Hello Sam - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Without knowing more detail it is difficult to comment. 

For example: what type of driving do you commonly do - urban, motorway, rural, etc; have you actually calculated the consumption, and if so how have you calculated it; etc .......

how much petrol does it take to fill it back up?

a) iirc the fuel tank on the hybrid is quite small (45l?)

b) Toyota are fairly conservative in their "reserve" fuel - when it is showing empty you probably still have something like 9l left in the tank. 

c) this is the worst time of year for consumption as it takes longer to warm up & you are more likely to use aircon/heater, demister, lights etc. which all take their toll.

d) as Frosty said above

The fuel tank on my 64 plate Auris hybrid is 39 ltrs and I get roughly 430 miles out of it in this cold weather, in the summer the most I get is around the 480 mark. I don’t tend to be heavy footed but don’t slouch either, reading the road ahead is a great help and using regen braking helps. I had a gen 2 Prius before this car and the mpg is far superior. One tank full last summer I decided to drive like a granny and achieved 67 to the gallon trip computer and ltrs put in at pump almost identical. In all I’m happy with mine and I think you will be as well as soon as you settle in to driving it. As a foot note before I bought my Prius I watched a few YouTube videos for driving tips and they really helped.

To fill it up will cost about £50. I mostly city driving, rarely getting above 50mph. I don't think I have calculated fuel consumption, how would I go about doing that?! 

Appreciate the comments so far!! 

According to the brochure the fuel tank of the hybrid holds 45 litres, and the low fuel light will illuminate when there are approx 6.8 litres left in the tank. Assuming you fill the tank when the low fuel light comes on, this equates to a fill of around 38 litres. Covering 400 miles on around 38 litres is giving you approx 47mpg.

Fuel consumption is always worst in cold weather. 

The Real mpg section of the Honest John website shows owners who have submitted readings get anywhere between 42 and 69mpg, but this depends on the type of environment they travel in - https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/auris-2013/18-hybrid

• Like 1

Have you checked your tyre pressures. My last fill up also didn't get passed 400 miles. I as going away for christmas so I checked the tyre pressures (which I don't normally do!!!) Three were on 30psi one was 15psi.....  Once they were topped up to the recommended pressure ,36psi, the steering felt a lot lighter and a regular short journey I do showed a lot better consumption. Also are you running the car in ECO mode?

47mpg is the average on my 2016 Hybrid with 17 inch wheels at 12months and 10000 miles .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links