Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

o riain

o  riain

Hi I have a 2011 auris from brand new  7 weeks ago I parked the car in a hospital car park 2 hours later returned to find it clamped and 2 bricks behind the rear tyres 2 security men arrived to inform me that the car  had moved across the car park with the hand brake fully on they pushed back into its place ,then a few weeks later December 2017 the same thing happens on this time on an incline it slowly rolls backwards I rushed out of the house to try and stop it( to stop it from killing  children on the road and anyone  ) the result i triped and smashed my face on the headlamp smashing it from that moment blank rushed to hospital  by ambulance into a&e 75 stiches to my face and broken wrist moved to 4 different hospitals to get plastic surgery to my face still in recovery (this is not a joke )I am sure the  hand brake is at fault, .

Are you sure you put the handbrake on fully? Presumably you didn't leave the car in gear

Aside from checking the handbrake adjustment, pressing the foot brake at the same time as applying the hand brake usually makes the 'hold' better.

In the UK, the recommended action when parking on a slope is to put the car in first gear if facing uphill and reverse if facing downhill, and if adjacent to a kerb turn the wheels against the kerb.  See Rule 252 of the UK Highway Code - http://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/parking-at-night.html

Moved to the Auris club.

Hi many thanks for your reply yes the hand brake was fully  on as regards the first time at the hospital I got back to the toyota dealership I purchased it from they are the only ones who have serviced it from new they confirmed the hand brake was 100% gave me a print out of the test.now regarding myself I'm 70 years old driving over 53 years drove every car and van and 2 types of jeeps never had a accident no fines ect, employed since 1973 as a decorator drove in 7 different countries . So now going back to the latest Instance 3 weeks ago the car moved  very down the incline because it allowed another  person  to stop it.

What do you call your car, Christine?  You should be able to check the handbrake. With handbrake fully engaged and in 1st gear bring the car to biting point, car shouldn't move.

Why don't you leave the car in gear? I thought that was common practice?

Is your handbrake electronic, or manual?

4 minutes ago, furtula said:

Is your handbrake electronic, or manual?

Handbrakes on the Auris are manual.

Yes you raise a good question no 1.hand brake is manaul.   No2 on both occasion hand brake was in 3 rd, gear. again confirmed by the person  who managed to get in and steer the car to a kerb stop .

Let's say handbrake somehow fails, but car is still in gear, only way for it to roll down, albeit slowly, is if somehow the clutch is not fully engaged 

When the clutch pedal is not engaged, check for slack on the pedal, there should be some slack, few mm, before it started engaging.

Is there slack in handbrake? It would be a good idea to test how good it grips, as it was written above.

In the future it would be best to use 1st gear when leaving the car parked.

This used to be a common fault on Vauxhall Senators. Both these cars have disc brakes all round so when you park up the brakes are hot (depends on your driving style how hot they actually are).  You engage the handbrake and walk away leaving the brakes to cool.  As the brakes cool the metal contracts and therefore the brake pads don't grip as much on the discs therefore releasing the brakes.  I'm not saying this is definitely the cause of yours but it is a possibility and one of the reasons you should get in the habit of leaving your car in 1st gear when you leave it. 

Many thanks for your reply to be honest I have lost faith in the car over the years I have so many cars some only fit for scrap first new car 1994 since then brand new Toyota land cruiser then in 2011the auris as I retired in 2011 had a toyota second hand carina in1985 till1993 never had a problem please understand  I have or had a bad wotd to say about toyota as I would all the other cars from the 1950s till the eighties, now I do come from a generation that always put on the hand brake and left it in 2 nd or 3rd gear because everything would be falling apart. This is the first or second time  I've been let down by the hand brake and gears.

Very sorry to read about ur bad luck and hope u have a speedy recovery. Has to be some sort of problem with handbrake. there must be. I always leave car in first gear - always. Reverse as Frosty says facing downhill, is great advice. But something must not be right with handbrake. Get a second opinion on it.

Thanks ant_rave as soon as the Xmas holiday is over I'm hoping to get a motor engineer( nutural )to have a look like you said something is not right .  many thanks to all the other  contributers I'm great full for your  replies I hope  it never happenes to anyone else. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links