Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 2011 Facelift D4d heavy fuel consumption

Helirazor

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is having a good Christmas. After a short break from Ravs (not my choice due to a company vehicle) I'm now back in a 2011 D4D manual. I love everything about it except the fuel economy, or should I say lack of it!

I've had a 2002 and last was a 2007 rav4  both diesels and both averaged around 40 mpg with a mixture of driving them hard and careful and long and short runs.

Nothing much as changed to usage, but this latest 2011 one is only averaging around 30mpg. I know it's slightly up on hp to 150bhp, but on paper (and I know you have to take them with a slight pinch of salt) the figures show it should be even better on fuel than the previous two models.

Has anyone else had the same issues or know if they are all like it please?

Oh just to add its only done 43K and full Toyota SH. Ive been running it on Shell diesel since buying it in October, with Miller Oil eco max diesel additive to to try and clean up they system as I suspect it will have been run on supermarket diesel.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

if it's 150bhp then presumably it's a 2.2? What transmission? (basically the more info that you give, the more people can suggest)

This RAV will have a DPF whereas your other 2  (what engines?) probably didn't. The DPF uses diesel to regenerate so mpg drops.

As for the official mpg quotes the disparity between test & real world figures increased over the years as the manufacturers learned how to best beat the system ...

45 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

if it's 150bhp then presumably it's a 2.2? What transmission? (basically the more info that you give, the more people can suggest)

This RAV will have a DPF whereas your other 2  (what engines?) probably didn't. The DPF uses diesel to regenerate so mpg drops.

As for the official mpg quotes the disparity between test & real world figures increased over the years as the manufacturers learned how to best beat the system ...

Hi as I said its a manual and as far as I'm aware they don't do anything other than a 2.2 diesel in the 2011 model?

Again as far as i was aware there was only a 2L diesel in 2002 and 2.2L 138 bhp diesel in 2007. Both were manual transmission.

I don't know if the 2002 or 2007 had a DPF.

Thanks.

I don't claim to be a RAV expert but there is a lot of drivetrain commonality between Avensis, RAV & to a certain extent Auris.

There was a 2.0l diesel RAV in 2005/6 afaik (some of which possibly may have been registered in 2007). Also, in 2007 you had the choice of 2 power output 2.2s - the 177bhp version being significantly thirstier (partly because it had a DPF/DPNR & afaik the lower power unit did not). & if it had been an auto it wouid have been worse again.  

& I imagine that they probably also offered 2wd as well as 4wd versions in some engine/trim combinations?

Update,

I've spoken to a diesel tuner who i respect and trust, they say the DPF only uses a small amount of fuel so that will not make a significant of notable difference. They advised checking the Mass flow air meter is clean, and the air filter is standard, non-oil type, both were clean and standard. They also suggested giving the Rav a hard drive to get the DPF up to temp and burn off any cr@p, which again I have done.

Any help and advice, even if it's what other 2011 150bhp 2.2 d4d Ravs are averaging MPG wise would be helpful.

PS if  @anchorman is still on here his help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

6 hours ago, Helirazor said:

Update,I've spoken to a diesel tuner who i respect and trust, they say the DPF only uses a small amount of fuel so that will not make a significant of notable difference

It's enough to be noticeable if comparing one with & one without (& depending upon driving profile). 

What sort of trips are you doing at the moment? The AD series engines are noted for being slow to reach operating temp (quite possibly 5 miles at this time of year here) & from a genuinely cold overnight start at this time of year if I was doing a short trip of maybe 1 mile or less I would get something like 17mpg on mine  (I had 2 2.2 Avensis). On the other hand it was actually possible to get over 70mpg out of it with the right sort of trips in the right conditions so the type of driving can make a massive difference.

I have a an 08 T180 which is similar. OBC suggests around 35 for a combination of town and country for my commute, similar on motorways. Of course, that drops away if using for town alone and this time of year certainly sees a further drop. I would suggest the following however.

Use decent diesel - Shell also seems good for me and I use the expensive stuff every 3 or 4 fill ups

Clean out the EGR and the hard pipe.

Check tyre pressures, and test to see if the brakes are not binding.

Moderate your driving style. Don't floor it or accelerate uphill. Gently does it. I find that driving in light trainers helps as I then become less heavy footed.

The DPF regen/clean can be frigged on mine by keeping it above 3000 rpm in 3rd or 4th for around 15 mins. and simultaneously loading the electrical system - rear windscreen heater, A/C, lights, seat heater on etc. during this time and thereby working the engine hard. You can see resulting successful plume of smoke easily enough from your rear view mirror! Perhaps yours has become overly clogged by not reaching the parameters required during your normal driving.

I would agree that manufacturer's mpg figures are practically worthless.  

Thanks Mark for the input, it's not the T180 which I know from a friend having one was more thirsty than my 2007 2.2 which I had a few years ago. That was driven no harder or easier than the latest 2.2 2011 model I've got, everything has been checked to be clean and clear and tyre pressures all correct, all at same tread depth and all the same make and pattern of tyre.

I'm just totally confused how this can be approx 10mpg worse than the 2007 model.

• 1 month later...

Hey @Helirazor I too own a 2011 2.2 D4D 150hp Rav4 Mine averages about 38mpg. I do a mix of short journeys and long 300mile + trips fairly regularly. I've noticed using cruise control at about 68 instead of 70+ really made a huge difference MPG wise... (Problem is it felt wayyyy too slow!) Mostly psychological probably but still... I was looking on here for a similar reason... But now feel much happier with my 38mpg seeing your only getting 30...

I do note that mine does have a slight blowing noise from what sounds like drivers side of the engine bay when trying to accelerate from about 1400rpm... 

Anyone know what this might be?

9 hours ago, Richie NB said:

Hey @Helirazor I too own a 2011 2.2 D4D 150hp Rav4 Mine averages about 38mpg. I do a mix of short journeys and long 300mile + trips fairly regularly. I've noticed using cruise control at about 68 instead of 70+ really made a huge difference MPG wise... (Problem is it felt wayyyy too slow!) Mostly psychological probably but still... I was looking on here for a similar reason... But now feel much happier with my 38mpg seeing your only getting 30...

I do note that mine does have a slight blowing noise from what sounds like drivers side of the engine bay when trying to accelerate from about 1400rpm... 

Hi Richie,

I've recently run a Miller Oils injector cleaner through and also a tank of Shell Super Diesel along with now also treating Shell normal diesel with Miller Oil additive. Not sure it it just makes me feel better but on last two fill ups I've done a physical miles per gallon check and up to around 38 mpg which is a little better. Still feel like this engine isn't as fuel efficient as the previous two Rav4's I've had but it's livable. I agree on the motorway dropping cruising down to under 70mph does seem to have a surprisingly drastic effect on fuel economy, but then as you say it does seem sooooooooo slow and you start mixing it with vans and trucks more which is interesting to put it politely!

Another "niggle" is the push to start / stop feature, maybe I'm old school but I like to see the glow plug light come on then turn the final amount to start. The push button seems to struggle to start especially on  a cold morning like we're having of late. Battery is well charged and I always top it up if needed with a smart charger. I guess it could be a glow plug issue or possibly a slightly off injector, but would of thought that would cause further running issues which so far (touch wood) don't seem to be present.

Not sure on the "blowing noise" I'll make a point to listen and check if mine does the same.

• 3 months later...

Hello there, I saw this post whilst browsing...

I have a 2012 D4D 2.2 litre diesel automatic and I LOVE it, but I LOATHE how much fuel it uses.  The best I have ever managed is 31mpg and my Susan, who could fairly be described as "lead footed" will generally achieve about 18mpg in urban driving.  I wrote to Toyota UK and they said something like "Well, the mpg figures come from indoor tests, but book it into one of our main agents and we'll test it" (at about £100 an hour, no doubt).

I drive a company VW Tiguan automatic, a similar car, and (according to it's onboard computer) I average about 47mpg from it.

Despite my love of how the RAV4 performed in the "Beast from the East" heavy snow, it's go to go.  Looking for a Yeti now...

Hi Mark, welcome to TOC ☺️

All manufacturer figures for mpg in Europe over the last few decades have beed derived under the NEDC test (now being replaced) & yes, it is usual for "real world" driving not to get close to the "official". The type of drive & your driving style will have an effect - short urban journeys where the engine never really reaches normal operating temp (& the AD series are known as slow to warm) will result in higher fuel use.

You don't say whether your Tiguan is 2 or 4 wheel drive or indeed which engine or age. Assuming it's the 2016> model it's a more modern engine & gearbox so ought to be more efficient. 

RAV4 https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/rav4-2006 34.3

Tiguan https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/volkswagen/tiguan-2016

Hi guys, my first post here 🙂 And yeah, I'm also worried about fuel consumption.

2011, 2.2, manual, 73 000 odo and I never got over 40mpg which seems to me...just not right.

I have it over one month only, most of drives were Glasgow-Aberdeen (and there's average speed cameras everywhere so I do 69mph max all the time), and country road trips. Driving on premium diesel  (Shell or BP  and the expensive stuff only) and average consumption looks like 35mpg. After I googled a bit I cleaned MAF and changed air filter without any progress so now wondering what next 

I bought it through A Clark, it has Toyota's full service history but that's obviously only stamps without any details so I got to T. online system with providing VIN, details from V5C etc. but it turned up very little details as well so it's clear they weren't logging it on line. Can I find these details somewhere else? 

I'm thinking now about stuff what should be done every 40000 miles/4 years as both is near and that's fuel filter and gearbox oil because also 1st and 2nd gear are pretty hard to get in...

I love the car anyway 🙂 I take this just as a detail which needs to be sorted as with any other used car...

Thanks for any ideas!

I have only ever got anywhere near 30mpg (which is shocking) in my 2011 D-Cat Auto when on the motorway doing about 60 mph or a bit more.

Doing that is just a hindrance to truckers etc and in my opinion is dangerous, especially if you happen to be one of those middle lane hoggers !!!

I'm never getting another diesel ever again for various reasons, but I do like my Rav a lot and it's one of the longest periods that I have owned the same car.

Shame I never had a magic wand to change it to petrol !!