Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange noise,bearing or axle?

Roby-TS50

Hello ,I have a question,maybe someone with experience can help?I've a 2005 Yaris 1000 210000 km. and  hear a humming noise with  a very faint clicking at about 60 km. per hour, going downhill, with the clutch down(so i'ts not engine trouble)I've checked each wheel and the front axles for loosness and all seems to be ok. the noise remaines the same even around bends,left or right, the noise disappears under acceleration or at higher speed (120-130 km per hour)Does anyone know what it may be?

Thanks,Bob.

Could be slight wear in the driveshaft splines.... which on the overrun - when the engine is not driving the wheels- move to and fro slightly . The only cure would be new driveshafts  - or regreasing the splines.. but as there are several sets of splines on a driveshaft - at gearbox, at hub and at joints - regreasing would be a lot of work ..

As the noise is faint, I would just drive it and ignore it.

There are a number of other potential causes - wheel bearing, dirt stuck between hub and brake disk shield..impossible to tell from a distance.

Thanks Michael,I'll take your advice and ignore it for the moment,wait and see if it gets any worst as time passes.The rubber protection sleeves both on the engine side and the wheel side are perfect,no sign of any damage at all,so grease hasn't got out anywhere.The engine seems very good for the mileage I've done,doesn't consume any oil at all between changes.I think this may be the best car I've had so far.I live in Trieste (Italy) and most every sunday go  to the mountains with friends,that means about 350 kilometers there &back (200 miles) plus around town during the week ,so I know some work on the car will most likely come up in the near future.How long does a clutch last roughly ?

Son had a 1.0 and the original clutch was still working after 130k miles.. If you drive with sympathy you could get more. If you make each start a racing one and hold the car on hills using the clutch.. not a lot...