Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thinking of buying hybrid

zerberus

Hi there,

I am considering buying a hybrid but still can't appear to make a decision yet.

My current car is a old Merc C class. I live in Greater London and rack up to 25k miles a year however this is to avoid driving through London and using a old diesel it's easier for me to drive on the m25, so my annual mileage will much be less I guess.

My budget at present is 8-10k.

I was thinking of getting a used Toyota hybrid from the dealers.

I have thought about the following cars.

Mk3 yaris about 8-9k and 2013 onwards.

Can't decide between auris Mk1 and Mk2, yes you could say Mk2 looks arguably better but is the tech inside actually newer?

Mk3 prius maximum 80k miles

To add another spanner into the mix I am 6ft tall. We occasionally want to do euro trips, and have rarely have to do 3 hours drives for family visit. So what are peoples opinion about drive comfort.

Thanks in Advance

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

The second generation Auris is a re-worked first generation, and carried forward largely the same hybrid drivetrain, but with the hybrid Battery repositioned more beneath the rear seat to improve boot space.

Also see a similar topic - 

Thanks yeah I saw the auris Mk1 today and overall can't complain really. Prius is more in demand I guess apart from being bigger and getting marginally more mpg.

There are far fewer Prius available in the UK than hybrid Auris. iirc it's something like 2 hybrid Auris sold here for every Prius.

Hi there,
I am considering buying a hybrid but still can't appear to make a decision yet.
My current car is a old Merc C class. I live in Greater London and rack up to 25k miles a year however this is to avoid driving through London and using a old diesel it's easier for me to drive on the m25, so my annual mileage will much be less I guess.
My budget at present is 8-10k.
I was thinking of getting a used Toyota hybrid from the dealers.
I have thought about the following cars.
Mk3 yaris about 8-9k and 2013 onwards.
Can't decide between auris Mk1 and Mk2, yes you could say Mk2 looks arguably better but is the tech inside actually newer?
Mk3 prius maximum 80k miles

To add another spanner into the mix I am 6ft tall. We occasionally want to do euro trips, and have rarely have to do 3 hours drives for family visit. So what are peoples opinion about drive comfort.
Thanks in Advance

Have had a test drive in any of them yet?
I have the original Auris hybrid and have a 2013 Yaris hybrid. Have taken the Auris to Germany via North Sea ferris without any problems with a roof box on top. Still got about 50-56 mpg at 70. Uses half the fuel that I used with an all petrol car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have test driven the mark1 auris, I am wondering if I can ask for a reduction in price as it has virtually no boot space. And I believe mk3 is coming out in 2018. It has been driven 60k and is advertised between £8-9k. How much can you expect reduction from dealer?

When I bought mine y budget wouldn’t stretch to the newer shape. The boot is the only downside to mine

26 minutes ago, zerberus said:

I have test driven the mark1 auris, I am wondering if I can ask for a reduction in price as it has virtually no boot space. And I believe mk3 is coming out in 2018. It has been driven 60k and is advertised between £8-9k. How much can you expect reduction from dealer?

Would imagine the car has been priced according to CAP or Glass' values - doubt whether boot space would have much of a bearing on price. 

If and when the third generation comes out, that then may have a minimal effect on used prices of the first generation - but not until it actually goes on sale.

Is the boot space much different between the yaris hybrid and the Mk1 auris?

Boot capacity (rear seats upright) for the first generation Auris hybrid is 279 litres, and for the Yaris hybrid 286 litres.

The first generation Auris hybrid's boot is affected by the hybrid Battery being beneath the boot - as I said earlier.

I would suggest the Yaris Hybrid. Get a high mileage one and add another 2 year's warranty, if necessary. The Yaris is best for town use, due to narrow width and short length. The car is obviously an automatic and you will be first away from the lights. Try and get one with heated seats (they should give you better winter mpg - my engine is running to heat the interior more than I would like).

Is the boot space much different between the yaris hybrid and the Mk1 auris?

The Auris mk1 boot feels very small, but you can still get things in without taking the parcel shelf off. The Yaris boot is much deeper but similar dimensions in the width and the other direction.

The dealer didn't budge and I am now considering a ct200h [emoji848][emoji857][emoji85]

If the price is right, I would too.

Still the same Toyota corporation

The CT200h is based on the first generation Auris.

Soon to be replaced with a crossover - presumably based on the C-HR.

Would you buy a car that has been standing around for half a year?

Depends on the condition and price. Bear in mind that some new unregistered cars may be in compounds for weeks or months.

Standing around for half a year?
If it’s not been started at all, I’d be a bit suspicious. Is it a private seller or dealer.

Dealer couldn't shift it for half a year it's a ct200h

Would think either the price is/was too high or it has issues (condition, history, service history or something else). Do an MOT check to see whether that uncovers anything - https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ga=2.212269975.2076702206.1501355101-258047052.1501355101

If he hasn't been able to shift it for that long, you might be able to knock him down a good chunk on it! But I'd get someone to check it over... deffo at least do a MOT history check at the least as frosty says (It's free so why not!)

The demand for them isn't huge - They're a lot less economical than the Toyota HSDs so people who buy hybrids for economy economy tend to shy away from them, while people looking for refinement and such tend to look more at more traditional marques like Mercs.
They're good cars but tend to fall in the middle of those two camps, which don't have much overlap...

But again, this may help you with the haggling! :)

43 minutes ago, Cyker said:

They're a lot less economical than the Toyota HSDs so people who buy hybrids for economy economy tend to shy away from them,

It's an Auris HSD in drag ...  HonestJohn's RealMPG says 52 v 55 so ~ 5% down.

Woah, really? That's weird... from what I'd seen before people were reporting mid-40s... then again they also said it was a nicer car to be in and drive while HJ says the opposite so not sure why such a big discrepancy...

The CT200h is based on the 1st generation Auris HSD - perhaps the others were comparing it to the 1st but HJ was comparing it to the 2nd generation Auris HSD?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links