Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rattling rear glass door...Has anybody found a fix???

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

The rattling at my rear glass boot...door window...whatever one would like to call it is getting to me now. Its so annoying. Worse on bumpy roads. I purchased the vehicle like this but recent its been just wow...deafening. The kids are always complaining. They complain about the squeaky rear seat bench seat too lol but thats only if they’re bouncing around. 

How do i fix it? The two rubber bung things are still intact and in pretty good condition. Im a bit worried to stick anything on top of them to absorb vibration incase it pushes the glass too out and i suffer leaks.

If anyone has suffered the same and found a fix and would like to share...you’d be a life saver, honestly!

Is the latch adjustable like it is in a 'normal' boot or door?

Nope.

wish that was the answer, wishful thinking there but thank you.

Sam could you try putting something thin on the stops like tape, masking or insulation or even the clear tape used on paper, maybe a couple of layers to start with to see if that has any effect?

Silly question but are you sure that the rattle is actually coming from the hatch door?

I've had the spare wheel being loose and that was making a clonking noise.
A failed exhaust hanger makes a interesting thumping noise on the car floor.

Something hiding under/behind the carpet on the sides on the boot?

The rear seat belts rattle on mine when not in use.
 Have to insert the metal bit on the belt (the bit that inserts into the buckle) into the small slots that are found in the plastic that is next to the sides of the rear seats.
 This keeps the metal bit on the belt from rattling agenst the bolt at the bottom off the belt.

If it is the hatch then what about a loose hinge or a worn hinge pin.
A wee squirt of silicon lubricant may help.

Also the strut that holds the hatch up when its open could be loose and rattle when not under load?

Feel free to ignore my ramblings if you've tried all them :smile:

Have a look at the later posts in the following topic -

Sam, if that thread that Frosty has kindly linked too doesn't find you the answer that you're looking for, then I'm with David ( @Micra2Aygo ) in that it might not be the rear door at all.  Try looking at the things that he has listed or what about looking at the rear wiper?  Nobody seems to have mentioned that and as the motor is bolted to the rear hatch, then something could be loose or even rattling around in the cover.

Just a thought! 

P.S.  Whilst you are there, a £4.50, 14 inch wiper blade from "Wilkinsons" will let you clear and  see more out of the back.

http://www.wilko.com/car-maintenance-products/wilko-14in-hybrid-blade-frameless/invt/0427235

All the best! :smile:

13 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

Whilst you are there, a £4.50, 14 inch wiper blade from "Wilkinsons" will let you clear and  see more out of the back.

The 16 inch Halfords W22 also fits, however it does cost a bit more at £10 

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/wiper-blades/halfords-w22-wiper-blade-single

• Like 1

£10.00....Less  than two Fish Suppers in Anstruther though, David.....Darn sight less tastier too!:wink:....Another good shout with the 16 inch blade though as I've only gone up to the 14 inch.

:angel: This is the closest to a Seagull as I can get...Keep your chips covered, Matey!

For all other Members of this site...Other Private jokes are available!

Happy Hogmanay, David and all the best for 2018. :smile:

Thank you for all your input guys.

The main rattle is definitely coming from the rear glass door, i know this because if its pushed out whilst driving by a rear occupant, the rattle stops. I dont notice any rattles from inside the boot area as the spare wheels is fixed in place. I dont notice any seat belt buckle rattles either. However their is a noticeable rattle coming from the front passenger seat, it seems to vibrate on its frame, i’ll figure that one out once ive fixed the rear glass issue, which apparently from what ive read requires a piece of rubber inbetween the hinge that holds the glass in place, im yet to investigate.

• 2 weeks later...

The noise that you getting from the passengers seat, if its the same as mine, is the handle to adjust the seat, that is slightly loose. You'll find out if you place your left hand on the middle of the seat, firmly, you will stop that noise :D

I had the same problem. Put some WD40 on the locking mechanism and it's gone for almost a year. Hope it helps you too.

I completely forgot to update this thread, apologies guys.

problem solved...sprayed some white grease on the hinges...not a peep since, happy days!

Re.the passenger seat rattle...win win again...found if i move it forward inline with rhe gear stck...with the back straight...whilst the seat is unoccupied...theres no rattle.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links