Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hi

rdy416

Hi all thought I better introduce myself my name is Ross I have been on toc since about 2009 i have a corolla gti-16

3f02c18803fb52e6502fdf9d26bb8397.jpg

This if anyone has seen it.

In September I took the plunge and sold my 2002 mk4 golf daily and decided I’d like to be back in a Toyota and bought myself a avensis t180 wagon on a 2007 plate

51f6203ceca917bc3545bc569f22d902.jpg

I really love the car and am glad to be back in a jap car again. I have a few things planned for this. I want to change the wheels and I have a set of tte lowering springs I want to fit.

I’ve also got a witter detachable towbar to go on as well. Couple of things I already have done is to change the plates I have a import front plate and a regular rear

29145093ae36b87488529cc5a5910705.jpg

Changed the stereo just fitted my kenwood dab for now so I can use my iPod function and inbuilt hands free kit. And gave the Car a full paint correction and detail.

• Like 2

Nice car, I am trying to work out if it is a dark grey (decuma?) or black (eclipse?) Always liked those wheels myself.

Hopefully you won't be affected but you should be aware of the possibility of head/head-gasket issues on the AD series of engines with the T180 anecdotally appearing to be the most vulnerable (albeit still only a very small % develop it).

Nice car, I am trying to work out if it is a dark grey (decuma?) or black (eclipse?) Always liked those wheels myself.
Hopefully you won't be affected but you should be aware of the possibility of head/head-gasket issues on the AD series of engines with the T180 anecdotally appearing to be the most vulnerable (albeit still only a very small % develop it).

Thank you it’s decuma it comes up with that on the my Toyota app along with the service history. Yeh they are nice wheels just slightly curbed from the previous owner [emoji849] I do know at 55k it had a short block rebuild done under warranty. I always keep a check on the fluids as I am aware of hg issues with them.
  • Like 2

If I am not mistaken, the top of the headlights look a bit dull. Maybe a polish will help, or even T-cut and polish. Good car.

Both headlights are trash the fading is on the inside. I can only assume someone had a stupid HID kit fitted to it one of the caps is missing and the other has a hole drilled through it.

you should be able to pick up spares for a reasonable price - either from a breaker or there are 3rd party copies. Upgrade halogen bulbs (Osram Nightbreaker, Philips Xtremevision etc.) in my experience of that model (i had a 2007 2.2 150bhp estate) will noticeably increase the amount of light in the lit area but will not increase the size of that area greatly - it's a lens design issue imo.

xenon headlights were at least an option if not standard on the T180 - I wonder if it originally had them, 1 bulb went & it was cheaper to swap to halogen rather than replace the xenon bulb?

you should be able to pick up spares for a reasonable price - either from a breaker or there are 3rd party copies. Upgrade halogen bulbs (Osram Nightbreaker, Philips Xtremevision etc.) in my experience of that model (i had a 2007 2.2 150bhp estate) will noticeably increase the amount of light in the lit area but will not increase the size of that area greatly - it's a lens design issue imo.
Xenon headlights were at least an option if not standard on the T180 - I wonder if it originally had them, 1 bulb went & it was cheaper to swap to halogen rather than replace the Xenon bulb?

I do keep a look out on eBay for a pair of headlamps. I need a read nr side tail light as well because it has a crack in it. Funny you should say osram nightbreakers I’ve already upgraded to those lol. Oh right I have seen xenon headlamps for sale but thought you had to have headlamp washers to make them legal.

You do, which means that your car didn't come with them - should have spotted that myself!:bangin:

You do, which means that your car didn't come with them - should have spotted that myself!:bangin:

Lol I’m not bothered about having them really. One less thing to go wrong lol and it’s easy to swap a bulb. I might look out for a set of washers though got a plan to modify the bumpers slightly anyway.

11 minutes ago, rdy416 said:

it’s easy to swap a bulb.

not that easy on a T25 Avensis .... :laugh:

not that easy on a T25 Avensis .... laugh.png

Didn’t find it too bad when I done mine a few weeks ago the tail lights were a hell of a lot worse. Found a pair of black headlights for £142.95 on eBay

you must have small hands. :tongue:

Are you also going to fit silvered indicator bulbs to get rid of the "fried egg" look?

Gave the ol girl a bit of love today and tried a new toy I got for Xmas which was a foam lance for my pressure washer. Just need to work out how much Snow Foam I’m meant to put in the bottle as it doesn’t have a scale on the bottle.

2d4e034d00420019c0f5f70b9a612f5f.jpg

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok bit of a update with my wagon since I’ve had it I’ve had a bit of a problem with it blowing a bit of blue smoke. I took it into a garage he had a good look and test drove it and diagnosed as a turbo seal had gone. Anyway new turbo core all the gaskets will be replace on the 8th February.

Been meaning to do this for a while now today I managed to get the wagon de badged I’m pretty pleased with the results

5730728aab036b6e752ecd43f86f8a9e.jpg

c3e3d8a085e35e21f593a1e4e7b561f1.jpg

1e3b6c94fe1ebcd02bc42dbcad36fda4.jpg

e5de4cf3fcedbe7f2bcf5b9362eaf4dd.jpg

• Like 1

Update on this so today it went in and had the turbo done and a oil change.

Also why it was there they checked the codes on the injection they all match so all is good there.

Picked it up drove the car home about four miles parked it up and it went into regen mode a lot of white smoke came out the back lasted about a minute.

I’m hoping this is where the turbo has been pumping oil into the exhaust and once I start putting some miles on it and getting it nice and hot any oil residue will burn off.

I didn’t really notice any smoke on the drive home as it was dark but definitely noticed a howl coming when the turbo spooled hopefully once it’s built up with a bit of carbon or it’s had some miles on it that noise should disappear.

• 1 month later...

Bit of a update. The car lasted a couple of weeks then it started smoking again but a lot more than before. So I ran it back to the garage who done the turbo we went through a few things turns out the dpf has been gutted.

I unplugged the 5th injector and plugged the original one I had back in but cable tied up in the bay so the management light didn’t come on. It has about three times with a p2002 code.

Anyway scroll on to the day before Mother’s Day I was set to go to work then drive the 101 miles from work to pick my mum up and bring her back home to Suffolk with me for a few days.

But the car had other ideas I jumped into the car to pop to the shops got a mile up the road. There was a loud pop and really loud howling appeared. I jumped out opened the bonnet the turbo was howling had a quit look to see if a pipe had come off but couldn’t see anything obvious I pulled the actuator pipe off the turbo shut up so limped the car back home and called the rac.

They came out said sounds like the turbo has blown and recovered the car back to the garage who sorted the turbo. The garage stripped the turbo and found this

58e21f0e42184d581809b2e5a0ead60f.jpg

New dpf has been fitted had to also buy the matching long and short pressure pipes because Toyota changed the weld in bung size on the short pipe to 16mm.

Something to do with back pressure issues according bm catalysts who manufactured the new dpf.

How true that is I don’t know if anyone can shed some light on this I’d be great full. New turbo came yesterday so the garage now have all the parts to get the car built back up.

I’ve been told il get it back on Wednesday so fingers crossed.

Hi mate, how’d get the badges off without scratching it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi

I got a hot air gun to heat the glue then used a piece of mono fishing line and went behind the badges and used a sawing action to slice through the adhesive.

I then used a caramel wheel on a drill and got rid of the adhesive that was stuck to the tailgate. Then a drop of tar and glue remover to remove the remaining adhesive and I then used some cutting compound on some polishing pads on my drill and and used that to remove the fine scratches.

If you go on to you tube and look up a channel called forensic detailing channel he has a video on there showing you how to do it pretty much how I explained.

• Like 1

Picked the car up today it drives much better more responsive it’s a pleasure to drive just needs a wheel alignment because it’s knocked the tracking out from when they took the subframe out to do the dpf

• 4 weeks later...

So Monday the car went into Toyota for the recall on the passengers airbag.

Today I decided to try fitting up my roofbox on the car the main reason I bought the car was for putting our camping stuff in for when we go camping.

75a95abd7d899eda94bb552ee54f1304.jpg

Got a issue with the bars and box so I’ve got to drill some holes in the box to move the fixing points over so I can bolt the box down in the centre of the roof and not to the side like it is in the picture.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links