Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New member just bought Avensis

Jim Cartwright

Hi 

Thanks for allowing me into the group.  I bought a 56 reg Grey Avensis today, it's the D4D model T Spirit with a nice spec

I was a little nervous driving it back from Bristol as it's on 165k miles but it drove brilliantly all the way back.  Despite going over it well, i can not find a single thing wrong with the car, everything works perfectly.  For £1600 it's cracking car and a pleasure to drive with 6 manual gears and leather seats.  

I'm going to do some research into the maintenance and repairs as i'm ok with mechanics. 

Are these cam belt engines ?

I'm so pleased with the car, couldn't be happier.  I spent a lovely couple of hours this afternoon giving it a good clean inside and tomorrow it's getting a wash, clay bar and machine polish

Nice to meet you all

Cheers

Jim

26112034_10156066015947372_471503220696628946_n.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum. The engine you have is 2AD engine, and it chain cam. I cheekily used your plate plate on Euro Car Part sight to find out what version of engine you have - 2.2 AD diesel. 
A couple of things you need to keep an eye on, is the coolant level. A few engines are known to have head gasket issues. The more powerful the engine, the more likely. I as said before, only a small percentage has this problem.
Other things to watch out is the EGR. If coked up will throw lights and put the car into limp mode. Usually a thorough clean will do the trick. Some owners do the clean as part of their DIY maintenance routine.

I you have the satnav built in, make sure you have the DVD discs. The reason for this is if the car Battery is disconnected, then reconnected, the audio system will not work until the disc is inserted. 
Anything else you can read up on this forum.        

Hi Jim, welcome to TOC.

Do you know which power output (150bhp, 2AD-FTV or 180bhp, 2AD-FHV) you have? The latter has a DPNR (a specific Toyota form of DPF), the former almost certainly doesn't (one way of checking is looking at the engine cover - if it has D-CAT on it it has a DPF). 

Unless it has had upgrade bulbs the headlights are probably uninspiring & similarly I always found the oem brake disc/pad combination not confidence inspiring although they will stop the vehicle. Again, different discs/pads will make a difference when you need to replace the existing anyway.

Otherwise a good, solid, comfortable car.:smile:

Just make as cup of tea and go through the log book, see what's been done and not done. Happy New Year.

Just make a  of tea and go through the log book, see what's been done and not done. Happy New Year. 11 years maybe time for as coolant change...

Thanks Guys, much appreciate the advice.  I'll keep an eye on the coolant level and hope the head gasket is ok. 

I spent an enjoyable day cleaning the car to within an inch of it's life.  Interior scrub followed by a wash, clay bar, machine cut back and a couple of layers of polish.  I'm really pleased with how it now looks. 

I'm taking the car to France in a couple of weeks to live at a place we have there, where it will spend the rest of it's days as our family transport for the few weeks a year we get chance to visit.  

I hope it manages the 700 mile trip ok !

Few photos from today

Thanks. 

20171231_140034.jpg

20171231_113004.jpg

20171231_113017.jpg

20171231_120413(0).jpg

20171231_132654.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jim Lucky you!

I just bought a toyota avensis 2.2 d4d in Bristol and it has been a nightmare. I have now driven it a total of 10 times and almost every journey has thrown up a new horror. I dread getting into it and turning the key to see what warning lights will be on next and what huge bill i am going to have to pay.

Read the forum to find out what is causing your problem - 

Your post practically answered itself - the EGR needs cleaning. What others have done is clean the EGR out, or get a competent garage to do the work. Don't just drive the car hard to blow it out. That may unblock the EGR but not clear the soot completely. Also the drive the car hard or Italian style tune up, may work for some cases - like DPF regen, but not in your case.
I will repeat this in your post.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links