Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Compressor - seriously down on power

C0llis0n

Evening all,

By all means not new to the forum (I've been patiently hanging out in the background for a while) but never posted IIRC so Hi for the first time!

Owner of a 05 plate Comp which I've loved every minute of for the last 2 months right up until last Thursday that is. All of a sudden she's seriously down on power. I've had a few issues outstanding which have now been resolved inc. brakes, suspension and alternator termination snapping causing Battery to drain and <12v juice (I was hoping this was the problem but its not resolved it) - now they're all sorted I fail to hear anything irregular from the bay itself. I've since changed the oil and added 4.6L of 5W-30 egzactly (end of the dipstick has snapped inside the block unfortunately so I can't get an accurate reading with it). Done quite a bit of searching about regarding issues with the supercharger which I'm edging towards allthough I'm hoping nothing serious. Pretty much everything is still original or OEM replacements inc the boost hoses so I've ordered replacements to begin with in the hope that these are leaking.

My questions for all those in the know are;

The performance almost feels intermittent i.e. no power at all for 10miles and then once starting from a junction at full WOT power until 3rd gear ish then she drops off - does this point to blowing in the hoses?

She seems to of lost power at the top end of the line - from 3/4k onwards with foot to the floor you can easily watch the needle all the way until 7.5k where she seems to peak slightly again but nothing like previously...

My only other thought is with the ECU - I've always filled up with Shell V-power without any issues but I'm wondering if I've possibly had a bad batch from the local. In any case I've reset the ECU 3 times now to no avail - should I be seeing an instant improvement of performance on reset?

Also I have no fault lights on the dash (all are working on ignition) - is it possible the ECU would still be kicking out faults for a code reader to translate even though engine light isn't lit up - I'm debating getting a cheapo code reader but wont bother if it should be showing.

Thanks in advance for all your help guys, I'll post pics up soon as she's not upsetting me so much! :P

Joe.

• 1 month later...

Hi. I would check for: 

Vacuum leaks

Boost hoses to and after the charger, check for leaks and ensure the hose clamps are tight!

Check the clutch on the charger is engaging, can you hear it clunking when you press the accelerator? If not disconnect the connector just above the Charger pulley carefully apply 12V to one of the contacts and ground to another, with 2 cables from the Battery, careful you don't short anything out. Amp draw of the magnetic clutch is about 3.5A when cold.

You could also try to clean the MAF sensor carefully as they are delicate with electrical cleaner/MAF sensor cleaner and cotton buds. Do not apply too much pressure on the MAF wires you will damage them.

Also try this, hold accelerator down fully, turn the key to ON position, keep holding accelerator fully down for about 30 seconds until the Engine light flashes 5 times then release

Disconnect Battery for 10 mins if you haven't already.

Also you can use any fuel as long as it 99 RON. So V Power, Tesco Momentum 99 or Costco 99 which is what I use as its the cheapest if your a member.

Let me know how it goes, and I'll try my best to help you further.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links